Please Help. Need Your Opinions - For Oval Brilliant Diamond ( 1.77 Carat )

Aubette

Hello

I'm getting engaged soon. My bf found an oval cut diamond stone ( 1.77 Carat, Ratio: 1.5,' E' color, SI2, Polish & Symmetry: Very good, Fluorescence: Strong Blue, GIA ) on Blue Nile for my engagement ring. The stone is about $1,1000 including tax.

He called blue nile today to hold the stone and they said there is a report says that the stone has a visible black dot ( carbon inclusion? ). They also said that the dot is reported as a noticeable to the naked eye.

Here is GIA grading report in case you can't see the GIA image - http://www.bluenile....lbmN5PVVTRCY%3D

Since we can't see the stone, we are not sure if this stone is a good deal and how bad the dot would look. He thinks that we should find a new stone because of the dot that they mentioned. ( Actually blue nile found 1.64 carat, oval brilliant, Ratio: 1.53, F color, VS-2, 'Good' cut, fluorescence: none for him but it is $ 3500 more than the 1.77 carat stone with dot)

If we shouldn't get bothered by this visible carbon dot on 1.77 carat, i think my bf shouldn't consider pay more for a new stone. I think the dot bothers him more than it bothers me.

Question is: This 1.77 carat, E color, SI2, 'very good' cut with noticeable dot for $11000 would be a poor decision? Would we be able to see the dot very well?

Please share your knowledge and Thank you.

Unfortunately, it's a question nobody can answer except the two of you. People's tolerance for inclusions is a very personal thing. If I were you, I'd relax considerably on colour: a G or even H stone is going to be very white, and it will enable you to get something that is definitely not affected by visible inclusions.

Also, a note of caution: GIA does not grade oval diamonds for cut. What you have there is Blue Nile's "assessment". Which is done without seeing the diamond and using undisclosed criteria. In other words: you have no idea what it means, and it probably doesn't mean much to start with.

Davidelevi-Thank you very much for your helpful information!

I have questions..

As for 'Bow-Tie' effect. I was told that most oval diamond stones have bow-tie effect. Is there anyway we can learn if a stone has strong bow-tie when we search stones online? or we wouldn't know until we see stones in person?

Other than blue nile.. do you know any good online diamond store or websites that you can recommend? What is the best way to find and buy a diamond stone? We prefer to get a stone that are certified by GIA or AGS..

I'm here to learn about oval white diamond. Any information or knowledge that we should know about a stone would be very helpful.

Again, Thank you!

Bow tie - no way of telling without seeing. At the very least several photos, better with a good quality video, ideally in person.

There are plenty of good dealers that can help you find an oval diamond. Particularly for fancy cuts (i.e. non-rounds), I strongly recommend that you do the following:

1. Choose the dealer. Look for referrals, reviews, feedback to come up with a long list. Turn it into a shortlist of 2-3 by calling people and seeing how you get on. Do they answer your questions in ways that make sense? Do you get a feeling that you can trust them? How helpful and proactive are they?

2. Define - together with your potential suppliers - what you are looking for. Leave to the side your current notions of what you "think" you want until you have seen some diamonds.For example, many people are deceived by the industry definition of "colorless" as only covering D-F diamonds. G and H show no colour in any situation and any size. Same for clarity.

Go around the mall and look at things. You don't need to buy - check out mid-level chains like Jared's and Kay's and high-range places like Tiffany's.

3. Come up with a shortlist of stones that you may actually want to see - then ask the dealer(s) to get them in house, get you photos or organise a viewing session.

4. Make up your mind on the diamond, then start thinking about the setting.

Here on the forum we can help with any questions - and off the forum, as a diamond dealer, we'de be delighted to help you get the diamond ring you want.

Edited by davidelevi

Some degree of bow-tie is actually a good thing as it provides and enhances contrast brilliance of the Oval diamond. Too much bow-tie and the center will appear very dark, too little or none and the diamond will face up opaque and glassy

How much is too much? How little is not enough? The diamond has to be seen. Compare this diamond to several other Ovals if you can at your neighborhood jewelers; you'll quickly get the knack.

Shopping on-line? Get photos from the Vendor. An experienced diamond Vendor will be able to also convey to you whether the bow-tie is egregious or helpful to the face up appearance of the stone.