Advise About Color Diamonds

michael

hey.

i was looking for color diamonds,and i found something.

however i'm a bit unsure about something.

diamonds that are naturally colored are very expensive.

therefore-there are some methods in order to change the color of a diamond.

the thing is i found some colored diamonds i liked,but i dont realy know

which method is better...i found on the internet that the popular one is hpht

(high pressure high temperature).

so my question is-can anyone please explain about the methods(there are others)

and advise me which one is the safest?

there is a specific diamonds company i found that have some good looking jewelery,

but i want to make sure i am buying a good thing, maybe someone can help me with the information I'm looking for and look at the diamonds I found and get their opinion on the matter..I would very much appreciate it

thanks in advance!

There are basically four methods for altering a diamond's colour:

1. Irradiation. Expose the diamond to high energy radiation. They used to get very nice green colour diamonds by packing them in radium salts for a few months. After a while the wearer turned green as well; now there are other methods.

2. HPHT. Put the diamond in a pressure cooker (a very strong one - 70,000 kg/cm2 and 2000 °C). Unsurprisingly it changes colour. More surprisingly, some brown diamonds subjected to this torture turn colourless.

3. Grow a synthetic diamond with specific impurities (nitrogen for yellow, boron for blue, for example).

4. Coating. Cover the diamond with a coloured, transparent film or paint.

Other than number 4, the others are all permanent treatments and perfectly safe for the diamond and the wearer.

One thing I would like to challenge, however, is your statement that "diamonds that are naturally coloured are very expensive". Not necessarily true. Light yellows and browns of any intensity are among the cheapest diamonds of all, and even colours that when "pure" are extremely expensive can be brought into moderate territory by a secondary hue, particularly if it is brown.

For example, pure orange is very rare and costly, but yellow-orange is moderate and orangy-brown is downright cheap. Brownish pink is many times cheaper than pure pink, yet it can look very pink if set correctly. Grey-blue is about half the price of pure blue - and it can look very nice too (the Hope diamond is a grey-blue). Brownish-yellow is among the cheapest colours, yet if chosen carefully it looks wonderfully golden. This is a fancy brownish yellow set with two F colour shield side stones:

r2959b.jpg

Edited by davidelevi

there is a specific diamonds company i found that have some good looking jewelery

Who?

maybe someone can help me with the information I'm looking for and look at the diamonds I found and get their opinion on the matter

There's a whole iindustry for this, albeit a small one. Tell us where you are and I'll see if I can make a referral to someone in your area who can help you out.

It looks to me like that's a manufacturer selling irradiation services and stones but they may also be doing HPHT as well. It doesn't look like they sell jewelry at all and it's not clear if they sell directly to the public. I think those designs are examples of things their customers have done with their work. Either way, the solution is easy enough. Contact them and see where they suggest you can buy those things. They'll either make you an offer or point you to someone who will.

Edited by denverappraiser