In Toronto And Looking For An Engagement Ring - Newbie

Davin

Hey everyone,

So I've tried reading through the existing posts but not sure if my questions and qualms have been answered.

I am in search of a princess cut solitaire engagement ring that will have a setting similar to the Tiffany Nouvo in a platinum band. The stone size I am looking at is from 1.2 to 1.4 (I know varying range but willing to spend more for a better smaller diamond).

I have gone to a jewelry store that has been recommended to me by a couple of family friends but I am always cautions going into these situations.

Jeweler was very helpful and narrowed it down to three diamonds:

wt Clarity Color Polish Symmetry Price quote Certificate

1.36ct SI1 F V/G V/G $8500 GIA & GS Laboratories (GemScan)

1.29ct VS1 F V/G G $9700 GIA & GS Laboratories (GemScan)

1.20ct SI1 E EX EX $7500 GIA

price is for the diamond alone

So I looked at the 1.36 one and wanted to go with it but something arose in our discussion and I would like others to comment on it:

The 1.36 and 1.29 each had GIA certificate but was located in a GemScan pouch that showed similar diamond weight, dimensions but clarity and/or the color were rated lower than the GIA certificate. I don't know an SI1 versus a VVS1 so I could not comment. The jeweler explained to me that he bought them off the GIA report but the Insurers in Toronto wouldn't recognize the GIA so he got a Gem Scan report. This looked legit as the Gem Scan reports were either a couple months or 4 months after the GIA report. circa 2007 and 2008. He quoted the price based on the GIA report not on the Gem Scan (that would be lower price)

post-129009-0-36996300-1318012670_thumb.jpg

post-129009-0-50201700-1318012679_thumb.jpg

The diamonds did not have the laser cut of the registry of GIA

The 1.2 was a GIA report that also said the diamond had a laser cut of the registry on the diamond.

post-129009-0-54238500-1318012686_thumb.jpg

So my question is multi-part:

1. Do all GIA diamonds have a laser inscription of the registry no. ? How is this viewed - under a microscope?

2. I read that the Gem Scan labs are not as consistent as GIA but I would expect them to rate the diamond higher than lower. Can someone comment on Gem Scan use in Toronto?

3. All the GIA reports were laminated - is this typical?

4. Could the jeweler be using old GIA reports to sell Gem Scan diamonds (I hate to ask this as he came recommended but I have to protect myself first)?

5. Looking at it initially I want to go with the 1.36 but I am inclined to go with the 1.2 because it has the laser inscription. Need I worry about the laser inscription or not?

Thanks in advance for all the help. I look forward to your reply.

Davin - in Toronto

P.S. - Gem Scan's website is www.gemscan.com and is shown as GS Laboratories

1. Do all GIA diamonds have a laser inscription of the registry no. ?

No.

How is this viewed - under a microscope?

Yes:

2. I read that the Gem Scan labs are not as consistent as GIA but I would expect them to rate the diamond higher than lower. Can someone comment on Gem Scan use in Toronto?

Every Gemscan report I’ve seen has rated the stone HIGHER than GIA, not lower. You didn’t post a photo of the Gemscan reports but what you describe is decidedly unusual. The comment about Canadian insurance companies not 'accepting' GIA grading has not been my experience by the way. They may not care for certain appraisers but I've NEVER seen an insurance company refuse GIA as a grading source.

3. All the GIA reports were laminated

Yes

- is this typical?

Yes. Most labs laminate their reports. GIA has done this for at least 30 years

4. Could the jeweler be using old GIA reports to sell Gem Scan diamonds (I hate to ask this as he came recommended but I have to protect myself first)?

I suppose, but it seems unlikely. You should be able to match the stones to the reports using the dimensions, fluorescence, girdle treatment and plotting diagrams. If you’re not prepared or qualified to do it, hire a pro who is.

5. Looking at it initially I want to go with the 1.36 but I am inclined to go with the 1.2 because it has the laser inscription. Need I worry about the laser inscription or not?

You can get a laser inscription on any stone you want. It usually costs about $50. Add a little bit for shipping back and forth. Actually, I think Gemscan offers this service as well as GIA. I'm pretty sure EGL-Canada can do it too.

FWIW - the prices of your jeweller (if pre-GST) seem to be consistently higher than those available online. To some extent this is normal, given they have expenses that an online dealer does not have. However, you can still use some of the online prices to get yourself a better negotiating position.

ETA - be aware that strong blue fluorescence in a colourless diamond will decrease the price considerably compared to an otherwise equal non-fluorescent stone. There is nothing inherently wrong with a blue fluorescent stone - search the forum for "fluorescence" and you'll have plenty to read - but it should cost less.

Edited by davidelevi