Advice On Egl Diamond

lucywo

No idea. On two accounts:

1. You forgot to tell us what colour and cut (shape) it is.

2. It is EGL graded. This means there is a LOT of uncertainty on colour, clarity (SI3 may be eye clean, but GIA would almost definitely call it I1, and this has an impact on price) and cut quality.

A search in the 'diamond finder' at the top of the page for EGL/.3.01-3.5/J-K/SI3 produces 3 offers ranging from $11600 to $15800. Whether or not yours is comparable to any of these is anyones guess but it's as good a place as any to start.

Edited by denverappraiser

Thank you. I just want to make sure I am getting something at a good value for what it is. Would u be skeptical of egl diamonds or if the diamond looks good is that all that matters? Based on the measurements I listed is that proportional to the carat weight?

I would not buy a 3 carat diamond without grading I considered to be reliable, and I would not rely on EGL as a grading source. The difference between an SI3 and an I2 is just too important, as is the difference between a J and an M, etc. You've seen the stone and you love it, which is a HUGE deal and perhaps reason enough to buy it, but it doesn't relate to your question of what is a 'good value'. That requires actually seeing the stone, grading it, and finding comparable offers elsewhere. A professional appraisal would do that or you can just rely on the dealer who's selling it to you. It's your call. It can't be done blind over the Internet.

How much are they charging you for it? Is it at a store or some other sort of dealer (like a website or an individual)? Where are you?

Back when I went to business school, 'retail' meant selling things one at a time to the end consumer. That's what's happening here. Whether or not he does 'wholesale' with other people is beside the point. YOUR deal is retail. That's not a problem, it is what it is, but don't put anything at all on how the dealer chooses to describe himself. Pay attention to the deal at hand, and the #1 issue is about the deal is the grading (#2 is the price). No, it wouldn't help to look at a scan of EGL's report although it might make this thread more interesting for others who are reading it and who have similar questions but don't have the gumption to post. I assure you, you are not alone in this sort of questions and rock solid examples are very helpful for the next guy.

I don't want to see the report because it's about the diamond, not the report. If you aren't comfortable with the grading, hire someone who you count as reliable and who is working for YOU to do it as a requirement of the deal. If you ARE happy with the grading and the advice of your dealer, then you're done. Buy it. The price is competitive to other similarly described EGL goods and the thing we don't know if the merchandise is similar to other similarly described EGL goods. It's a big deal, and I can't address it without looking at the goods. No one can.

Edited by denverappraiser

"Good value" is relative.

The benchmark in diamond grading is GIA and AGS. The closest EGL lab we've seen to the aforementioned is EGL-USA and even so there is latitude with their grading. We evaluated an EGL-USA grade "G" color today that would receive a "K" from GIA.

You need to compare to a GIA/AGS graded diamond and then determine your comfort level.