Help With Purchase - 1.24Ct Round Si2, I Color

Can.Diamond

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing the following round diamond but would like some help to review. The price is right on budget, is there something I am missing with these details?

EGL cert

Carat Weight:1.24carat

MM:6.91X6.83X4.19

ColorI

Clarity:SI2

Cut:Premium

Depth:61%

Table:61%

Girdle:SL TK

Culet:None

Polish:EX

Symmetry:EX

Fluorescence:None

comments:

-8 hearts and 8 arrows - this diamond was polished utalizing superior percision and craftmanship, its exquisite proportions generate the apprearance of 8 hearts and 8 arrows, when viewed at the correct angle and under the proper lighting conditions.

-"excellent ideal cut"

Natural diamond: type IaAB

Thanks!!!

Hi and welcome to DR. I'm not sure if you've read other threads, but in consideration of this being an EGL stone, you should know that they grade a lot more leniently on both Color and Clarity. Rule of thumb is that they're at least 1-2 Color grades off, and 1/2-1-1/2 Clarity grades off compared to the more stringently and consistently graded GIA or AGS stones. So since you're already looking at something that is an I SI2, chances are, you *really* have something more like a GIA J or K, I1. The reason the price is right is because you're not really getting as great a quality stone as you think you are--you are potentially going to have a stone that faces up with a hint of yellow and either possibly eye-visible inclusions and/or inclusions that could compromise the integrity of the stone. I couldn't say for certain without seeing the cert and the nature and location of inclusions to give at least a bigger hint as to appearance... have you seen the stone yourself? I'd say you're going to be better off looking for a better quality, slightly smaller diamond to stay in the same budget. And if you're shopping online, make sure that if you are looking at diamonds in the SI Clarity category, that you're dealing with an e-tailer who can actually look at the diamonds for themselves and let you know about the eye visibility of the inclusions, because a cert. won't tell the whole story.

Good luck and we're all happy to help you with any other questions :)

Rule of thumb is that they're at least 1-2 Color grades off, and 1/2-1-1/2 Clarity grades off compared to the more stringently and consistently graded GIA or AGS stones.

FWIW, I flatly disagree with this rule of thumb. I've seen them dead on (rarely) and as much as 6 grades off. It doesn't make a bit of difference what the 'average' variation is. You're only looking for one stone and the issue is about the grading on that one. There is simply not a way to convert from EGL to GIA grading or visa versa without looking at the stone itself.