Should I Buy 1.51Ct I Vs2 Diamond?

smithers

I'm interested in purchasing a natural mined, not clarity enhanced GIA 1.51ct Cushion cut diamond online for $7300. (*GIA Report Link at Bottom)

Measurements: 6.42 x 6.34 x 4.26 (L/W Ratio: 1.01)

Color: I

Clarity: VS2

Polish: Excellent

Symm: Very Good

Fluor: None

Depth: 67.2%

Table: 58%

Girdle: slightly thick-thick (faceted)

I was told it is 100% eye clean, but the diagram on the GIA report looks really scary! Also, in my research, I found recommendations for cushion cut diamonds and it stated that Depth between 59.0%-65% was Excellent, 58.0%-58.9% or 65.1%-67.0% was Very Good, leaving this diamond in the Good category. Is this still ok? I realize this was an opinion, but I'd like some more opinions to make me feel better about my purchase. I just really want a diamond that is completely eye clean, looks white, and sparkles! Thanks for any advice!

[media]http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/act_printPDF.cfm?r=M)H%2F%24RT%2F!%23_K

The link is broken - the easiest thing for you to do is to post the number of the report and the precise weight (1.51). We can check out the report from that.

Two points to bear in mind - on this diamond and in general:

1) The plot is NOT an indication of how clean the diamond will look; it is only a map to help you identify the inclusions (and thus the diamond). The clarity grade IS an indication of the amount and visibility of inclusions, and with a VS2 you should be entirely OK.

2)Ignore the tables you found. They are flawed at best. Unfortunately, the only way to judge a cushion cut is to see it. There are way more variables than table and depth%, and table and depth aren't even among the meaningful ones. See here for a little more comment/explanations/examples on cushions: http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/7576-circa-2-carat-diamond-advice-for-very-enthusiastic-newbie-who-is-getting-engaged/page__view__findpost__p__33760

Thanks! I'll take a look at the link today. The GIA Report # is 112692631.

The link is broken - the easiest thing for you to do is to post the number of the report and the precise weight (1.51). We can check out the report from that.

Two points to bear in mind - on this diamond and in general:

1) The plot is NOT an indication of how clean the diamond will look; it is only a map to help you identify the inclusions (and thus the diamond). The clarity grade IS an indication of the amount and visibility of inclusions, and with a VS2 you should be entirely OK.

2)Ignore the tables you found. They are flawed at best. Unfortunately, the only way to judge a cushion cut is to see it. There are way more variables than table and depth%, and table and depth aren't even among the meaningful ones. See here for a little more comment/explanations/examples on cushions: http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/7576-circa-2-carat-diamond-advice-for-very-enthusiastic- newbie-who-is-getting-engaged/page__view__findpost__p__33760

Ok I'll have my jeweler examine it upon arrival and I am always able to return it at no cost to me. Thanks for all your help!

Nothing particularly threatening in the report; the grade-setting crystal seems to be at the edge of the stone, and it is most likely not visible. The question on cut and appearance remains open...