Newbie In Need Of Some Advice

zse40

Hi All--I've been looking at some loose stones for an engagement ring and after looking at about 20 or so in my price range and in line with my girlfriend's preferences, I've found a front-runner. I'd really appreciate your overall impressions of this stone. As I've seen it myself, I can say the fluorescence does not appear to be an issue, though I've still yet to see it in sunlight, which I am going to insist upon prior to purchase.

Thanks in advance.

post-128725-0-84512000-1316618382_thumb.jpg

post-128725-0-02431500-1316618398_thumb.jpg

IF (big if) the fluorescence is an issue, then you will only know in sunlight. In the meantime, it is bringing the price down by a good 10%...

It's not the largest facing 2.50 Asscher. The determining factor here is the cut, and there is no information on that at all other than length, width and depth. If you cannot see the stone before purchasing, make sure you have a good, no penalty return policy to back you.

The cut, based on what I found in my google search, is fair. That should probably be a deal-breaker from what I gather? This stone is a bit less than I was planning to spend, so happy to try and find something better if there is better to be had within reason.

What did you Google up that called that stone 'fair' and on what scale is it being graded? As Davide points out above, the info is simply not on the report. Do you have any information OTHER than what's on that report?

I typed in the characteristics and found the stone listed on bluenile, though no for purchase: http://www.bluenile.com/asscher-cut-diamond-2-carat-fair-cut-f-color-si1-clarity_ld01984715

The cut, based on what I found in my google search, is fair. That should probably be a deal-breaker from what I gather? This stone is a bit less than I was planning to spend, so happy to try and find something better if there is better to be had within reason.

What did you Google up that called that stone 'fair' and on what scale is it being graded? As Davide points out above, the info is simply not on the report. Do you have any information OTHER than what's on that report?

Ok, I have basically no idea what I'm doing, so any advice is definitely helpful and appreciated. Does the certification usually have a grade for the cut? If not, how does one know the quality of the cut?

Bearing in mind that Blue Nile assigns a cut grade without seeing the stone, and purely based on table and depth%, would you trust that? I don't, and I would not advise you to...

GIA only assigns cut grades to round brilliants at the moment. AGS also provides cut grade for princess, oval and emerald cut diamonds, but 1) AGS-graded Asschers are rare as a needle in a haystack, and 2) I would say the grading systems are still relatively controversial/experimental.

Your best tools for choosing are your eyes and in-person observation, though they can be usefully supplemented by photos, videos, reflector images, geometry scans and a helpful vendor willing to take the above.

If you have settled on an Asscher cut, I would suggest that you reverse your buying process, and rather than focusing on finding a stone, no matter from what vendor, focus on finding a vendor that is knowledgeable, helpful and able to provide you with the information that you require to make a shortlist first and a final selection later.

Thanks. I have a very knowledgeable vendor who I do trust very much, but was just trying to solicit some extra opinions. If I'm trying to spend no more than 30K all in to get the stone plus a setting with trapezoid/trillion side stones, and I want something at least 2.5 carats in either asscher, emerald or cushin, how do you think this stone stacks up if I can get it at 19 and change? Would you recommend that I keep looking or is this a good deal for me? Fwiw, I saw it in natural light and the fluorescence did not appear to be an issue (though it wasn't sunny out, not sure if that matters).

Really would appreciate some feed back. Thaks in advance.

GIA only assigns cut grades to round brilliants at the moment. AGS also provides cut grade for princess, oval and emerald cut diamonds, but 1) AGS-graded Asschers are rare as a needle in a haystack, and 2) I would say the grading systems are still relatively controversial/experimental.

Your best tools for choosing are your eyes and in-person observation, though they can be usefully supplemented by photos, videos, reflector images, geometry scans and a helpful vendor willing to take the above.

If you have settled on an Asscher cut, I would suggest that you reverse your buying process, and rather than focusing on finding a stone, no matter from what vendor, focus on finding a vendor that is knowledgeable, helpful and able to provide you with the information that you require to make a shortlist first and a final selection later.

If your budget is $30k all in, I think you can afford a bit more than $19k on the centre diamond - a good setting with two high quality traps/trilliants in proportion to a 2.50 (about 0.40 ct each) shouldn't come to much more than $5000.

Other than that, I go back to what said above: the only way to express an opinion on a diamond - and particularly a non-round - is to see it or at the very least to see quite a few good photos (and ideally reflector images and/or video). Looking at the report simply does not provide enough information to say anything other than "white, probably eye-clean, not spready, priced within reason". Nice? Who knows! You have seen it: what do you think?

Fluorescence: thin clouds will not filter out too much UV; thick clouds will. Direct sunlight is not necessary, but you do need enough UV to activate the fluorescence.

Yeah, I figured this was going to come out a little below the budget I had set for myself, but the vendor was pretty convinced I was going to struggle to find something else this size and quality that was not going to eclipse the 30K mark (even before the setting). This probably isn't all that helpful, but here is a picture I took.

If your budget is $30k all in, I think you can afford a bit more than $19k on the centre diamond - a good setting with two high quality traps/trilliants in proportion to a 2.50 (about 0.40 ct each) shouldn't come to much more than $5000.

Other than that, I go back to what said above: the only way to express an opinion on a diamond - and particularly a non-round - is to see it or at the very least to see quite a few good photos (and ideally reflector images and/or video). Looking at the report simply does not provide enough information to say anything other than "white, probably eye-clean, not spready, priced within reason". Nice? Who knows! You have seen it: what do you think?

Fluorescence: thin clouds will not filter out too much UV; thick clouds will. Direct sunlight is not necessary, but you do need enough UV to activate the fluorescence.

post-128725-0-79023400-1316645373_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I ultimately decided to pass on that stone in favor of doing a 3 emerald stone layout. I'm looking at the cert for the center stone (2.01 carat, d color, vs2, faint flourescence) and just noticed that the girdle is described as "MED to ETK" Is that something I should be concerned about?

Maybe. It depends on why it got the "extremely thick" rating. A uniformly very/extremely thick girdle is not a good thing, because it hides weight. On the other hand, if there is one point that is ETK and the rest is MED, there is nothing to worry about. Again, unfortunately, not something you can determine from the report or without an expert eye looking at the stone.

GIA grades the girdle in a minimum to maximum range so it is possible that the majority of the girdle falls in-between. Your vendor should be able to give you this information and as to whether it affects the face up appearance of the diamond.

Most likely the extra thickness will be found at the four corners and will not deleteriously affect the face up appearance.

Edited by barry