Need Advice On A 1.11Ct I Si1 Gia Diamond

yoyo123

Hi everybody

I am looking for a engagement ring and a jeweller sent me the details of a 1.11ct GIA diamond. You can find the details at the end of my post.

I entered the proportions into the HCA software and it returns a 1.6 note which is excellent.

Light return = excellent

Fire = excellent

Scintillation = excellent

Spread = very good

I also entered the proportions into GIA facetware and all the caracteristics are excellent until I go to the girdle (medium to thick - 3.5%). The thick changes the cut grade into very good. :-(

Is that medium to thick girdle will have an impact on the beauty of the diamond ?

Is that diamond worth buying it ( price is around 4750 euros TTC) which seems a good price to me...

For the color, the jeweller told that the I grade was a bit severe and the diamond looked more like an H color ( very small - no visible yellow reflects)

Thanks in advance for your answers...

PS: it is a bit urgent as I have an appointment with the guy in 2 days ( thursday) and will have to take a decision.

GIA Report Check

GIA REPORT NUMBER: 1126985062

Report Type: GIA Diamond Grading Report

ROUND BRILLIANT

Measurements: 6.61 - 6.65 x 4.11 mm

Carat Weight: 1.11 carat

Color Grade: I

Clarity Grade: SI1

Cut Grade: Very Good

PROPORTIONS:

Depth: 62.0%

Table: 56%

Crown Angle: 35.0°

Crown Height: 15.5%

Pavilion Angle: 40.8°

Pavilion Depth: 43.0%

Star length: 55%

Lower Half: 80%

Girdle: Medium to Thick, Faceted

Culet: None

FINISH:

Polish: Very Good

Symmetry: Excellent

Fluorescence: None

Comments: Clouds are not shown.

Edited by yoyo123

You're actually in a better position than we are as you're going to see the diamond.

Let us now what you see; ask your jeweler to show also you comparable stones so that you can compare.

There is no impact on looks except that the diamond may be a little smaller than others with the same weight (and EX cut grade).

There is an interesting philosophical consideration as to whether this should have an impact on a cut grade that in theory is about brilliance, dispersion and scintillation, but both GIA and the HCA do so...

However, Barry is entirely right that no matter what GIA, the HCA or anyone else think, what matters is what you see!!!

There is no impact on looks except that the diamond may be a little smaller than others with the same weight (and EX cut grade).

There is an interesting philosophical consideration as to whether this should have an impact on a cut grade that in theory is about brilliance, dispersion and scintillation, but both GIA and the HCA do so...

However, Barry is entirely right that no matter what GIA, the HCA or anyone else think, what matters is what you see!!!

This is one of my pet peeves with the GIA cut grading system. The arguement goes that because it increases the weight without increasing the optical performance, the customer may be paying too much for the stone when compared to other similar ones. The problem here is that PRICE is not a gemological property. Is it better cut if it's cheaper? That's just completely opposed to what the GIA says they're for. They're supposed to be about reporting demonstrable facts and leave the marketing issues and the non-gemological value added questions to the dealers. I think they've crossed the line with this one. Not that they listen to ME mind you. FWIW, AGS does it too.

Thank you David :-)

Somebody else show me another diamond.

It s a 1.01 ct I SI2 with a HRD certificate.

Shape: brilliant

Fluorescence: nil

Carat(weight): 1.01 ct

Measurements: 6.39 - 6.43 mm x 3.99 mm

Colour Grade: slightly tinted white+ (I)

Girdle: medium 4.0 % faceted

Clarity Grade: SI2

Culet: pointed

Cut:

Proportions: excellent

Polish: excellent

Symmetry: excellent

Total Depth: 62.3 %

Table Width: 59 %

Crown Height (β): 14.5 % (35.5 deg)

Pavilion Depth (α): 44.0 % (41.3 deg)

Length Halves Crown: 45 %

Length Halves Pavilion: 75 %

Sum α & β: 76.8 deg

On the paper the triple excellent cut seems better than the first diamond.

But... It s HCA grade is terrible with a 5.2 grade

Light return = good

Fire = fair

Scintillation = fair

Spread = very good

The first diamond had a 1.6 HCA grade but a very good gia cut.

The inclusion here is not visible, it s eye clean.

The price is around 4300 euros so 400 euros difference with the 1.11ct.

I think I should go for the first one even if it s a bit more expensive ... What do you think ?

If you are seeing the diamonds, ignore the HCA. It is not meant to apply in that situation, and it has a fair amount of limitations. Try to observe them in different kinds of lighting: natural sunlight, diffused, spotlights, ... so that you know what they really look like, and then make your own conclusions.

FWIW, for €400, which is basically the price difference due to the weight, and assuming they are both eye-clean and that the info from the report reflects the way they are cut, I'd go with the first one.

Hello David thanks for your answer.

For approximately the same price (4700 to 5000) the same guy will show me some HRD 1.01 F SI2 vg vg ex none (4700 euros) or even HRD 1.00 F SI2 ex ex ex none (5000 euro)

Assuming they are eye clean do you think I should go for a bit smaller F SI2 instead of a bigger I SI ?

Do you really see the difference in color ?

Thanks a lot

I will see the diamonds today and will let you know :-)

Edited by yoyo123

The "problem" with HRD is that their cut grading system is not comparable to GIA, and it is shall we say "generous". Different people have different opinions as to the reliability of HRD colour and clarity grades, and there may well be a bias due to geographical distribution (relatively few HRD stones make it to the US, and they may be selected for certain characteristics; conversely relatively few GIA stones end up in Europe).

So, by any means see more diamonds, regardless of who has graded them. Just don't rely too much on comparability, particularly of cut grades. If it says "Excellent" but looks like "Crap", it is crap.

F to I - you will see the difference in colour. Depending on how well the I stone is cut, it may face up completely white, but compared to an F the white will be warmer. Not yellow, but think printing paper vs. wall paint. There is no "better" colour; only the one you like most.

Once again, the best advice is for you to l@@k and compare these diamonds. Compare HRD to GIA graded diamonds and note if you see differences in the color grading.