How This Asscher?

scottdownsouth

I'v been looking for a nice upgrade for my wife and i know she likes the looks of the asscher and the emerald cut. I have a $5000 budget and just want a plane tiffany mount.local jeweler has a asscher gia 5.44x5.31x3.72 1.01 h vs2 vg/vg n thick/very thick 62% table 70.1 and none price is $4800 mounted. i like the stone but i dont know if i like it more than the emerald i saw at another store.He had two emeralds one gia 1.01 vs2 g $5500 and one large looking no cert 1.0 vs1 f emerald that looked liked it had more fire ? for $5300. i liked the asscher but must say i dont know if i like it more than the emerald...thanks!

Hi Scott, welcome!

Assessing any diamonds purely on the basis of the very limited information on a grading report is a well-nigh impossible task; for fancy cuts, any info not coming in a visual form may be an aid to assess value, but it tells you very little about how the stone looks. I'm not sure what anyone here can tell you in terms of solving your dilemma (or trilemma) - we haven't seen the diamonds, and we don't know your aesthetic preferences.

The one thing I am almost certain about is that if the "F/VS1" EC went to GIA it would not come back as F/VS1; it may still be the nicest of the three, though, and no amount of paper is going to change the way it looks or whether you like it more.

Hi Scott, welcome!

Assessing any diamonds purely on the basis of the very limited information on a grading report is a well-nigh impossible task; for fancy cuts, any info not coming in a visual form may be an aid to assess value, but it tells you very little about how the stone looks. I'm not sure what anyone here can tell you in terms of solving your dilemma (or trilemma) - we haven't seen the diamonds, and we don't know your aesthetic preferences.

The one thing I am almost certain about is that if the "F/VS1" EC went to GIA it would not come back as F/VS1; it may still be the nicest of the three, though, and no amount of paper is going to change the way it looks or whether you like it more.

just back from the jewelers again...after reading so much about how to buy a diamond and rule #1 dont buy unless it has gia certs. i'm allmost in love with the non cert one! i'd like to hear what the smart thing to do with a diamond thats has no gia papers?

just back from the jewelers again...after reading so much about how to buy a diamond and rule #1 dont buy unless it has gia certs. i'm allmost in love with the non cert one! i'd like to hear what the smart thing to do with a diamond thats has no gia papers?

If you decide it’s the right stone for you as long as the grading measures up, agree on a price and ask the jeweler to send it to GIA. If GIA agrees with the grading, you pay the GIA fees as well as the shipping. If GIA disagrees, he/she pays the fees and the deal is off.

Neil