Is This Stone Worth The Money

Alyssa

Hi I am hoping if you can tell me if this diamond is worth the money (5760.00) after my trade and appreciation. Here goes it is a round ideal cut cert. by AGS 1.502 si2 I color measurements are 7.23 x 7.27 x 4.55 total depth 62.8 table size 56.4 crown angle 36.0 height 15.9 pav angle 40.5 pav depth 42.6 culet none girdle thin to sl. thick P/S ideal no fluroes. The date of the cert is 04/06/09 Thanks

Hello Alyssa - welcome.

You mention "trade" - does it mean that you are trading in another diamond? The price for the AGS stone you have described looks suspiciously low if it is the stand-alone price; it could be because it has a stonking big visible inclusion right under the table, or for some other legitimate reason (private sale). Or it could simply not exist and be a marketing device...

Hello Alyssa - welcome.

You mention "trade" - does it mean that you are trading in another diamond? The price for the AGS stone you have described looks suspiciously low if it is the stand-alone price; it could be because it has a stonking big visible inclusion right under the table, or for some other legitimate reason (private sale). Or it could simply not exist and be a marketing device...

The price for the stone is 10,799 I am trading in my diamond I bought through them 10 years ago I paid 3K for it. Plus 5% appreciation for every year up to ten years. So the rough estimate for the ring my out of pocket cost will be 5760.00 Thanks

No matter how I try to come up with your number (simple or compound 5% pa for 10 years), I can't replicate it. Anyway, that's beside the point.

The price sounds a bit high, but you are getting a pretty good deal on the trade in, so if you like the diamond, why not?

No matter how I try to come up with your number (simple or compound 5% pa for 10 years), I can't replicate it. Anyway, that's beside the point.

The price sounds a bit high, but you are getting a pretty good deal on the trade in, so if you like the diamond, why not?

I know the numbers don't jive, I forget the exact price of the stone. I like the diamond but I don't want to pay more than it is worth. What do you think a fair price would be. Also, does the stone have extra depth and will it not look as large face up as another 1.50 Thanks These proportions are driving me crazy.

"Worth" is a relative question. In the sense that you have two variables - the price of the new diamond, and the value of your trade-in.

It seems that your dealer is pricing the stone for about $2k more than the most competitive online price you can get for an equivalent spec stone (1.5 ct AGS000 I/SI2). This can still be deceptive, since not all SI2 are equally desirable, but it's a starting point. Also bear in mind that costs of B&M stores will be higher than those of pure internet-based retailers, and a 15-20% increase is not at all unreasonable.

Assessing the value of your trade in is much tougher, since we don't know what the stone is. It's true that diamonds have increased in price over the last ten years - however it's quite rare for dealers to allow more than original retail price as a trade in value. Without knowing anything else, I'd still say it's likely you are being offered more for your old diamond than you would be offered by another dealer (and many internet-based companies won't consider trade-in on diamonds they didn't sell originally or at all).

On proportions: it seems like a nicely cut stone - as far as having only 4 numbers to assess cut can go (not very far). It's not the spreadiest make, but you wouldn't notice the difference without putting it right next to the spreadier 1.50 diamond. Also - you are not buying a grading report with a diamond; you are buying a diamond with a grading report. Once the report has served its purpose of giving you reliable basic information, it's time to use your eyes and not get caught in the analysis paralysis of is 40.5 degrees pavillion better or worse than 40.6.