Which One Would You Choose?

celiboy07

Hello everyone,

I've been researching on this forum and other sites and very excited to purchase a diamond for my girlfriend. I've narrowed it down to these two, but need more expert guidence on which is best.

These two stones are from Blue Nile and Net Carat, both online vendors. Net Carat seems to have much better prices than Blue Nile but could not find any reputable reviews on them? Anyone have experience with them? Both have 30 day return policies.

Blue Nile:

1.69 RB

Cut: Ideal

Color: J

Clarity: SI1

LWD: 7.66x7.6x4.77

Depth %: 62.5

Table %: 58

Symmetry/Polish: Excellent/Excellent

Fluorescence: Strong

Grading: GIA

Net Carat:

1.71 RB

Cut: Excellent/Ideal

Color: I

Clarity: SI1

LWD: 7.79x7.74x4.66

Depth %: 60.1

Table %: 58

Symmetry/Polish: Excellent/Very Good

Fluorescence: None

Grading: EGL International

Both of the diamond are sign-unseen. I'm relying on the specs to purchase, as the local jewelers are much more expensive. The difference in price to me is significant, as the BlueNile diamond is about 1.6k more. Please advise which one would you choose, or neither and keep looking. I appreciate everyone's comments in advance. Thanks!

I would not recommend buying an EGL International graded stone sight unseen. You know next to nothing about this stone other than the fact that someone decided it would sell better with EGLI paperwork rather than sending it to a more reputable lab. This is not a good sign.

Neil

I would not recommend buying an EGL International graded stone sight unseen. You know next to nothing about this stone other than the fact that someone decided it would sell better with EGLI paperwork rather than sending it to a more reputable lab. This is not a good sign.

Neil

Neil,

Thank you for your insight. I've read that EGL reports are kind of "unofficial" so it makes sense to avoid them sight-unseen. Does the Blue Nile stone appear to be reasonable to you? I know it's J in color but I figured the strong fluorescent would offset any warm colors a bit, or so I've read. Thanks again.

I don't have a problem with strong fluorescence, in fact I think it's sort of cool, and similarly I don't have a problem with J colors. Both will bring down the price and that strikes me as a feature more than a problem. GIA doesn't use the term 'ideal' in their grading so there's at least a little bit of shenanigans going on but it's entirely possible that it's a lovely stone.

Neil