Need Advice On Reputable Jewelers

rdd77

I have been married about 8 years and my style has changed enought that I regret using yellow gold instead of white gold on my engagement/wedding ring. I still love my setting and wondered if it is possible to simply have a white gold layer added over the yellow gold, without damaging the diamonds, or do I need to have them completely reset? My engagement ring is a 1/2 carat round cut of good quality and has two small wedding bands with 8 small diamonds in each band attached to either side of it.

My husband wants to get me a bigger diamond, but I am undecided about that at this point. I am sentimently attached to the one he originally got me, along with the fact that I have VERY small hands (rings size 4!). So it's possible I would want to look at diamonds as well as settings.

I am also paranoid (maybe unnecessarily?) that whomever I have do the work will switch my diamond(s) for less quality diamonds, therefore I need some suggestions for honest and reputable jewelers. I live near Palm Springs, CA, so San Diego or LA wouldn't be completely out of the question.

Any advice???

It is certainly possible to plate rhodium over yellow gold (that's the finish on most white gold - what you see as silvery white is not gold, it's rhodium).

It needs some care in cleaning the ring properly and preparing it for the plating, and then leaving it in the electroplating bath for a good amount of time (at least 5 minutes, as opposed to the 30 seconds that most "replating" routines seem to use), to build a sensible thickness of plating. Otherwise, you'll be replating every few weeks because the rhodium will wear out quickly and the yellow underneath will show.

If you do decide to plate the rings, bear in mind that no matter how well plated they are, the plating will wear through and it will need re-doing fairly regularly if you wear the rings all the time.

Sorry, but I can't help with jewellers in your area.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been married about 8 years and my style has changed enought that I regret using yellow gold instead of white gold on my engagement/wedding ring. I still love my setting and wondered if it is possible to simply have a white gold layer added over the yellow gold, without damaging the diamonds, or do I need to have them completely reset? My engagement ring is a 1/2 carat round cut of good quality and has two small wedding bands with 8 small diamonds in each band attached to either side of it.

My husband wants to get me a bigger diamond, but I am undecided about that at this point. I am sentimently attached to the one he originally got me, along with the fact that I have VERY small hands (rings size 4!). So it's possible I would want to look at diamonds as well as settings.

I am also paranoid (maybe unnecessarily?) that whomever I have do the work will switch my diamond(s) for less quality diamonds, therefore I need some suggestions for honest and reputable jewelers. I live near Palm Springs, CA, so San Diego or LA wouldn't be completely out of the question.

Any advice???

It is definetly not a problem to have the setting put in rhodium in order to make it white gold. In terms of your jeweler, I understand that you may be paranoid. If you have the measurments of the diamond you can have the jeweler set the stone and then have him show you that the diamond is the same isze as the one you gave him (since no two diamonds are the same).When looking for a jeweler make sure to go to one with many years of experience and is reputable in the community.

Steven

steven@brilliance.com

http://www.brilliance.com/jewelry/