Advice Needed On Help Selling Loose Diamonds, Please.

DiamondDummy

Hello, I was hoping to get some advice on selling loose diamonds as a consumer. I have several approximately .10 carat, princess cut diamonds, SI-1/SI-2 Clarity, G color, cut for an invisible setting. They were professionally removed from a broken broach that my Grandmother had, and I inherited some of the loose stones. I have 21 of these diamonds, a total of 2.30 carats in weights. I estimate them at being worth about $60 each. Am I far off? Is it worth it to have diamonds of this size appraised? And, how would I go about verifying and selling these diamonds?

Will the invisible setting cut of the diamonds be a negative factor in selling them?

I think it's very unlikely you'll be able to get $60 each or even close to that for the stones you describe. Just out of curiosity, how did you come about that number? Most dealers won't be buying at all and finding a consumer who is interested in ten point stones cut for invisible setting is nearly impossible.

Neil

I think it's very unlikely you'll be able to get $60 each or even close to that for the stones you describe. Just out of curiosity, how did you come about that number? Most dealers won't be buying at all and finding a consumer who is interested in ten point stones cut for invisible setting is nearly impossible.

Neil

Just a hope, or a guess on the $60 value. Ho-hum...I was hoping they were worth something, but I figured the invisible setting was going to cost me. So, I suppose I have 2.3 carats of pretty rocks at this point, huh? What value would you give to the stones, were I to luck out and find someone interested?

Thanks for your reply, I was hoping you'd be the guy to answer my question.

Joe- the other aspect to this: To set a diamond invisibly, there are actual grooves cut into the stone under the girdle- that alone pretty much makes the princess cuts unsaleable- even if the good advice Neil gave you wasn't true- but of course it is.

Could the diamonds be set in a new piece, individually or in a single row? I suppose this is the only real value that the stones hold at this point, right? Thanks for your input.post-117726-1241019170_thumb.jpg

Joe- the other aspect to this: To set a diamond invisibly, there are actual grooves cut into the stone under the girdle- that alone pretty much makes the princess cuts unsaleable- even if the good advice Neil gave you wasn't true- but of course it is.

Could the diamonds be set in a new piece, individually or in a single row? I suppose this is the only real value that the stones hold at this point, right? Thanks for your input.post-117726-1241019170_thumb.jpg

I hate to say this Joe, but I know we would never attempt to set such stones- I can't speak for others, but my get is telling me that most shops would not want to risk it....

Invisible setting is a b*tch, particularly with diamonds. Yes, it's possible in theory, and the result may look very pretty too, but you'd need to find someone that is an expert in that type of setting work and prepared to do it (and to lose a few of the stones in the process).

The other option may be that of doing a closed setting like a bezel, if the cuts in the diamonds aren't too deep and visible from above.