Help With Pricing.....

Mat

Can some tell me if this is a good diamond for the the price they are asking?

Stock Number: 34860586

Shape Round

Carat: 2.0

Color: D

Clarity: SI1

Price; 15,840.00

Depth: 59.2

Table: 53

Polish: VG

Symmetry: VG

Flouresence: None

Measurements: 8.33X8.29X4.92

Thanks

Mat

Hi Mat,

We know next to nothing about the stone. In particular, you’re missing who graded it and your missing even the sparsest details about the cutting. Lastly, you’ve said nothing about the marketplace where this is being sold.

If you click on the link at the top of the page titled ‘find online jeweler’ and enter a few stats you can pull up comparable offers from dealers who participate here. You’ll notice that you get a price range of close to a factor of 2 in the offers you get and that’s with offers from the same dozen or so dealers and all in the same market. Yours is priced right near the middle if that's helpful. Other markets, like the mall or Europe will have different and generally considerably higher prices.

Have you seen the stone in person? Has the person selling it even seen it?

Neil

Hello Neil-

Thank you for responding me. I have not seen this stone in person. I pulled this from an online store http://www.diamonds-chicago.com/ they also have a store in Chicago Downtown. What am trying to do right now is get a feel for the price for the stone. I am in the market in buying a ring in next few months and doing my research. I want to get a 2.0ctw stone with a budget of 15K to 18K. Do you think I can find a stone around this price range where the stone has excellent shine, fire and brilliant?

Mat

Hello Neil-

Thank you for responding me. I have not seen this stone in person. I pulled this from an online store http://www.diamonds-chicago.com/ they also have a store in Chicago Downtown. What am trying to do right now is get a feel for the price for the stone. I am in the market in buying a ring in next few months and doing my research. I want to get a 2.0ctw stone with a budget of 15K to 18K. Do you think I can find a stone around this price range where the stone has excellent shine, fire and brilliant?

Mat

Yes, that’s sufficient budget to get a smoking 2 carater if you’re shopping at the low cost vendors. Stores with showrooms and the like are probably going to cost you a little more than that. I do think you’re going to have to drop your color requirements and I’m curious how you ended up at a D if you’re doing this on a budget. H/I is more like it for your price point unless you want to flex on either size or clarity. You will not find a dealer selling a correctly graded 2 carat D/SI1 with even a decent cut for that budget.

I would add to your list of specifications that it must be GIA or AGS graded and it must be ‘excellent’ cut if GIA or ‘ideal’ if AGS. There are some lovely GIA-VG’s out there but the onus should be on the dealer to convince you to compromise on this point instead of you starting there. Some VG's are dogs.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser