Maruise, Which Is A Better Diamond?

buttons

Can someone tell me which of these two diamonds would look best?? I'm really torn on which one to buy :-) Thanks!

Julie and David

Marquise

Size: .50 ct

Cut: good

Clarity: I1

Color: E

Cert: GIA

Measurements: 8.33*3.58*2.60

Ratio: 2.33

Price: $590

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-I1-Go...mond-892785.asp

Marquise

Size: .46 ct

Cut:Good

Color: I

Clairty: VS2

Cert: GIA

Flourescence: faith

Measurements: 8.18*3.63*2.51

Ratio: 2.25

Price: $550

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-G...ond-1168986.asp

Edited by buttons

I don't mean to sound churlish, but how can we tell you anything about how these diamonds look from 3 numbers each? Even for the most "standardised" of cuts - round brilliant - these are not enough.

Presumably you have seen them - which one do you like more? Can you see the inclusion in the 0.50 in normal circumstances(diffused/day light - not halogen spotlights, unaided eyes, 12 - 24 inches hand-to-eye distance)? Does it bother you?

You left out the colour on the 0.50 I1 - is it much whiter than the other stone? Can you see it?

Personally, I think you are paying a premium for reaching the .50 threshold which is not justified, seeing as the 0.46 faces up practically the same size. However, really there isn't enough information to go beyond this. Sorry.

I don't mean to sound churlish, but how can we tell you anything about how these diamonds look from 3 numbers each? Even for the most "standardised" of cuts - round brilliant - these are not enough.

Presumably you have seen them - which one do you like more? Can you see the inclusion in the 0.50 in normal circumstances(diffused/day light - not halogen spotlights, unaided eyes, 12 - 24 inches hand-to-eye distance)? Does it bother you?

You left out the colour on the 0.50 I1 - is it much whiter than the other stone? Can you see it?

Personally, I think you are paying a premium for reaching the .50 threshold which is not justified, seeing as the 0.46 faces up practically the same size. However, really there isn't enough information to go beyond this. Sorry.

No I have not seen these diamonds. I found them on JamesAllen website. I put the two links under each diamond I'm looking at. I thought about it though, and I'm thinking the .50 is the best choice.

I don't mean to sound flippant but you might want to ask them about what a 'good' cut means. This was assigned by the dealer, not GIA and I (and you) have no idea what sort of scale or criteria they are using. Without this the grade is at best meaningless and possibly even deceptive. Is 'good' near the top of the scale, near the bottom or smack dab in the middle? Was that determined by someone actually looking at the stones or did they look up parameters on some chart? GIA does not assign a cut grade to marquise cuts at all because they've decided that it's impossible to create a meaningful and useful scale. Maybe JA has one, and if so I would love to see it, but my guess is that they (or their supplier) either just made this up entirely or are using the old AGA charts that convey next to nothing in terms of useful shopping information.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Looking at the photos, I'd be seriously concerned that the I1 inclusion (a black-coloured feather which seems to be covering the full length of the diamond) would be very easily visible.

To be honest, even just limiting myself to James Allen and the single photo on their website, I think you could do better for a marquise of around half a carat around the $600 mark.

Looking at the photos, I'd be seriously concerned that the I1 inclusion (a black-coloured feather which seems to be covering the full length of the diamond) would be very easily visible.

To be honest, even just limiting myself to James Allen and the single photo on their website, I think you could do better for a marquise of around half a carat around the $600 mark.

Just bought my engagement ring, so while my memory is still fresh I can add my 2cents.

I am not sure about the pricing, but if I had to choose between the two, I would probably go with the 0.46ct. The reasons are:

a) from the GIA spec of the 0.50ct diamond, "thick to extra thick" girdle means (and correct me if I am wrong) all those hidden weight in the girdle was used to put the diamond in the 0.50ct+ price category.

:P one stone has much better color while the other has much better clarity, so basically you have to ask yourself which quality do you weight more and I am sure the difference between the two diamonds in either color or clarity is very distinquishable by inspecting them with naked eye. I would simply exam both stones and ask myself which imperfection would be more acceptable, color or clarity.