Take A Look!

r8dg

Hi everyone, been lurking the forums for a while and doing a lot of research. I think I finally found a great deal (almost too good to be true) and want to get your opinions. Here are the specs and a pic. Please let me know what you think! :)

Shape: Cushion

Carat weight: 1.81

Cut: Ideal

Color: H

Clarity: VVS2

Certificate: GIA

Depth: 65.2%

Table: 61.0%

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Very Good

Girdle: Slightly thick

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 7.10*6.81*4.44

Ratio: 1.04

its priced at $11,330 on james allen which seems way too low for an H VVS2. here is the pic

post-117676-1239821338_thumb.jpg

I'm no expert, by any stretch, but I've been doing quite a bit of shopping, lately so I'll bite.

From my impressions cushion cuts tend to vary greatly in dimension. They will look a bit smaller from the top compared to a round brilliant. But if cushion is the shape you love, it is the shape you love.

This one appears to be a bit 'squarish'. If that is your thing, this one is pretty close to that. There are also far more oblong shaped cushion cuts than this, and some that are almost perfectly square. Its a matter of personally taste I suppose.

It looks like there are quite a few cushion cuts in this price range from various sellers. You might take a look at a few more of them and find the shape you like most.

I'm surprised honestly that GIA would cert. this cut as 'ideal', considering there really isn't an 'ideal' cushion cut formula that I'm aware of.

And another thing I just noticed is that I think there are 5 sellers trying to sell the same diamond. You did find the lowest price for it of the 5 though.. :) Maybe they are the one sourcing it for the other 4?

I'm going to run some numbers again, because that skewed my last search.

Thanks for all the help and info! :) Ive been looking at cushions for about a month now and have been having a very hard time finding a good one in my range and with all the specifications Im looking for. Cushion is the shape my fiance wants, and the more square the better. Ive come across great ones, but they were either too rectangular, or too rounded and would look like a round stone when set. So this one looks like it fits perfectly what im looking for, although it is a little out of my budget. I did not see this diamond listed anywhere else though. I know it is in-house at james allen since I called them and reserved it. Where did you search?

I found it using the search engine right here on the main page.

Another good one is at http://www.pricescope.com/

You will find most of these search engines are all tied into one another to some degree.

If this is a bit out of your price range, but you are really after that 1.8ish ct. range, I'd recommend a few things to get you back in budget. Incidentally, does it have to be 1.8ish?

1. Try looking for 1.75-1.77 stones. Prices tend to step up every .1 cts or so. So if you step back from that 1.8 a touch, you might get a good price break. Note that a 1.77 can appear larger than a 1.81, especially in a cushion cut, due to the variations in depth % these diamonds have.

2. Consider dropping from H to I.

3. Consider dropping to VS2 or even possibly SI1. Although with online shopping, it can mean more hassle. Make sure if you drop too low you buy a diamond from a place that will allow returns fairly hassle free, which shouldn't be a problem if you stick to the major internet suppliers.

Have you been looking at stones in person? Because a VVS2 is a very high quality stone. It takes a jewelers loop to even tell the difference between VVS2, VVS1, and VS1, and the price difference can be significant. Even VS2 and SI1 can sometimes be 'eye clean' and give you even a greater discount.

The vast majority of VS2 are eye clean (the very rare exceptions being mostly step-cut stones in large sizes), and so are a good percentage of SI1. SI2 is where you need to start being rather careful...

"Clarity" in diamonds is graded way too finely, and is largely a marketing device by the industry to raise prices, in my modest opinion.

Please don't confuse clarity - which is a relatively objective, uni-dimensional measure of the amount and type of inclusions that exist in a stone - with quality, which is an encompassing, multi-dimensional concept far more difficult to assess and is to some extent subjective.

Speaking of which - JA uses its own assessment of cut quality, particularly for fancy shapes. GIA does not use the term 'ideal' at all, and does not grade cut in any shape except round brilliant.

Ive been looking at 1.7-2.0ct with a minimum I VS2 (sometimes even SI1) for a while, and I have not been able to find anything that is a good cut and the ratio I want (1.0 - 1.05) And if it does meet all those, it ends up being too round-looking. Thats been my dilemma this whole time. I was looking to stay under 10k, preferably around 9k. But I have not been able to find anything. This was the best option I've seen so far.

Ive been looking at 1.7-2.0ct with a minimum I VS2 (sometimes even SI1) for a while, and I have not been able to find anything that is a good cut and the ratio I want (1.0 - 1.05) And if it does meet all those, it ends up being too round-looking. Thats been my dilemma this whole time. I was looking to stay under 10k, preferably around 9k. But I have not been able to find anything. This was the best option I've seen so far.

Hmm... that is a bit of a challenge.

By sticking to 1.0 to 1.05, it looks like you eliminate 80% of the cushions out there.

Seems like you are going to have to stretch your budget a tad, or settle on a slightly smaller stone if you want to maintain those high quality marks you have in the diamond you have picked.

I will say that the stone you have picked looks very nice. I can't find one thing wrong with it, except for its about 1200-2200 over your budget.. :)

Yea I agree, and out of the 20% left I eliminated more than half of those because Im looking for a very square diamond haha. Im going to keep looking but time is running out and I need to make a purchase by monday at the latest. There were a few other promising ones, but they are being looked at. This is so frustrating!! :) lol