Please Take A Look

pokin

I've been shopping for a diamond for a while now and was all set to use Union Diamond or Blue Nile because I liked their prices and they seem to have great reviews and customer service. I also went to a local jeweler who was recommennded to me by my girlfriend's cousin who had used her before. She was awesome and answered all my questions and told me that if I found something online to let her know cause she could probably find something similar from one of her dealers.

She just emailed me these specs for a 1.01 ct round diamond:

1.01 ct

G color

VS2

Excellent cut

6.48-6.53-3.93 mm

Polish Excellent

Symmetry Very Good

Fluorescence Medium Blue

Table 58.0%

Depth 60.4%

This looks just like what I'm looking for except for maybe the fluorescence. She has it in stock and I will go look at it tomorrow but I just want to make sure it looks good to you experts beforehand. All of the specs are from the GIA report. She is asking 5000 for the stone plus a simple white gold setting. It looks like a pretty good deal to me. Any thoughts? Thanks so much for your help.

Pete

Definitely look at the diamond and ask if she has similar diamonds that you can compare it too.

Look at the diamond(s) not only at the counter where the high-intensity overhead lighting will make the stones look sparkley but also in other areas of the store.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to look at some different stones today. My range is a stone between .90-1.05 that is at least a H color or better, at least VS2 or better and hopefully an excellent cut. She has another stone that is a .91 F VS2 Very good cut. The price for this one is 4000 including the setting. I'm hoping being able to compare the two side by side will help me figure out if the extra thousand dollars is worth it. Any tips for comparing them side by side? Other than just seeing which one sparkles the most? Thanks again.

Look at them in as many different lighting conditions as you can. As Barry said, try to take them out of the halogen spotlights.

Bear in mind that you'll be paying a premium because the G stone is more than 1.00. Although this will not be an easily visible difference, particularly once set, it makes for about 10-15% premium. Add in the "excellent" cut grade, and that's where the price goes.

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess it is now just up to me to decide if the price difference is worth it. How big of a difference can it be going from a very good cut to an excellent cut? Obviously excellent is better but is it $1000 better? I think this is the hardest part. I've done my research and know what I want but when I get it narrowed down to 3 or 4 actual stones that are similar to each other it becomes very difficult to choose. If I go and look at both of these with my untrained eyes I think there is a very good chance I won't be able to tell a difference. If that is the case why not go for the cheaper one? If I do notice a difference then at least I can feel good that I've paid extra for something I can actually appreciate. Decisions, decisions.

Makes perfect sense as a strategy. When you do that, though, ask the jeweller to dmonstrate to you why one is "very good" and the other is "excellent". This for two reasons: 1. often we don't notice things that we don't know are there; however, once they are pointed out, they become obvious; 2. it's a pretty good way to figure out to which extent you can trust their expertise. :angry:

I doubt very much if you will detect the difference between a VG GIA Cut Grade to an EX GIA Cut Grade and this is because the Cut Grade refers to external symmetry, polish, Crown angle/height and pavilion angle/depth.

It tells you nothing about the intensity and distribution of face up light refraction and whether the diamond exhibits more/less brilliance, dispersion, and scintillation. This is affected and determined by how well the Cutter has aligned the facets to maximize the light coming to your eye. GIA does not measure this. Only your eyes can tell you this, which is why it's very important for you to view these diamonds in various lighting conditions.

Indeed, we have seen and noted VG Cut Grades diamonds facing up better than EX Cut grades.

Keep an open mind by looking at the diamonds before you look at the lab reports. She will be wearing the diamond, not the lab report.

Here is a graphic showing the different facets that comprise the round brilliant shape.

post-5339-1239745698_thumb.jpg

Well I went for the 1.01 G VS2. I liked that it was a little bit bigger and for whatever reason it just seemed like the better stone. I got to look at both in different lighting settings and really feel like I got the best stone I could have in my price range. Thanks so much for everyone's help. Just wanted to let you know what I ended up with.

Pete