Diamond Help Needed!!!

marcy11923

diamond help needed!!!

IM LOOKING TO BUY A DIAMOND THAT IS EGL INTERNATINAL CERT AND WANTED TO SEE IF YOU THINK THE PRICE IS ABOUT RIGHT

THEY ARE ASKING 8,000

GRADING RESULTS

Shape and Cut: Princess

Carat weight: 1.25 Ct.

Color Grade: G

Clarity Grade: VVS2

ADDITIONAL GRADING INFORMATION

Measurements: 6.28 - 6.19 x 4.12

Fluorescence: None

Total Depth: 66.6 %

Table Width: 69 %

Crown Height: 7 %

Pavillon Depth: 58 %

Girdle Thickness: Thin, Polished

graining: nil

Marcy,

As a consumer I would even recommend against ‘discounting’ an EGLI grade. The problem is that you don’t know if it’s VVS2, VS1, VS2 or even SI1. It might be G color, but it also might be a H, an i or J. You know next to nothing about the cutting. It's a big deal. A correctly graded SI1/J would be about $4000 from the dealers here for example. The range is huge and the way you tell the difference is by using your own expertise. I’m going to guess that you aren’t yourself an amateur diamond grader so the only reasonable way to do this is to hire someone to assist, and the best choice by far for this task is GIA. The question is why didn't the dealer already do it. The fee would be about $100 plus shipping. That’s on the order of 1% of your budget. So why is it being presented with EGLI pedigree when the 'correct' answer is available so inexpensively? (hint: It’s about the money)

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser