Platinum Vs Vs And Fg

G-Mac

Hi Guys, this is my first time so I'm sorry if I've something wrong. Am thinking of buying a ring for someone. I have a choice of either going for platinum (with SI clarity and HI colour) or having diamonds of VS clarity and F-G colour but 18KT White gold.

Basically my question is....does the clarity and colour make much of a difference between SI and VS and the colour?

Thank you

Hmmm... there's a lot of things we'd need to know.

1. Who grades the diamonds? The shop? A lab? Which one?

2. What size, shape and quality are the diamonds?

3. What does the setting look like? How elaborate is it?

In general, I'd say two things;

a. If the sole difference in favour of the F-G/VS vs. H-I/SI is the metal, you are talking either of very small diamonds, or something is wrong. The cost difference due to metal and working is unlikely to be more than $1000. The difference between a properly graded F-VS1 and I-SI2 can be 70% of the price of the F-VS1.

b. Assuming the diamonds are small and that the grading is correct (big assumptions), you are unlikely to see a colour difference. On clarity, it will depend on how "good" the SI graded stones are - an SI stone may have fairly noticeable inclusions.

Edited by davidelevi

In general, the cut quality of the diamond will affect the face up ability to see inclusions. The better the cut, the less likely you will see inclusions face up.

Hmmm... there's a lot of things we'd need to know.

1. Who grades the diamonds? The shop? A lab? Which one?

2. What size, shape and quality are the diamonds?

3. What does the setting look like? How elaborate is it?

In general, I'd say two things;

a. If the sole difference in favour of the F-G/VS vs. H-I/SI is the metal, you are talking either of very small diamonds, or something is wrong. The cost difference due to metal and working is unlikely to be more than $1000. The difference between a properly graded F-VS1 and I-SI2 can be 70% of the price of the F-VS1.

b. Assuming the diamonds are small and that the grading is correct (big assumptions), you are unlikely to see a colour difference. On clarity, it will depend on how "good" the SI graded stones are - an SI stone may have fairly noticeable inclusions.

Thank you for replying. I don't know who graded it. I can find out! I think the size is fairly small (As in 0.4ct). It's basically a web-site where you can design your own rings. And the it gives you options with regard to diamond size and ring metal and dimon clarity and colour. So I was just playing around with it trying to work it all out. Basically the link is http://www.diamondsndiamonds.co.uk/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?productid=53661

I guess I'll need to send them the questions and see what the answer is. I read somewhere, unless you're using a less to look at them then you can't tell the difference between a SI and a VS. But wasn't too sure about the colour. Thank you for answering quickly.

Glen

I've looked at the site. They seem to do their own grading - which may be reliable (though that's unlikely). Personally, I'd avoid them - there are plenty of places that can offer you competitive prices and have higher standards on what they sell and how they do it.

In terms of seeing the difference between an SI and a VS (properly graded), it will depend on what is the nature of the SI inclusion, how well cut the stone is, how it is set... In some cases, it may very well be clearly visible with your eyes.

I've looked at the site. They seem to do their own grading - which may be reliable (though that's unlikely). Personally, I'd avoid them - there are plenty of places that can offer you competitive prices and have higher standards on what they sell and how they do it.

In terms of seeing the difference between an SI and a VS (properly graded), it will depend on what is the nature of the SI inclusion, how well cut the stone is, how it is set... In some cases, it may very well be clearly visible with your eyes.

Thank you very much. I think it's too big a risk to take really. Is there anywhere realiable that you would recomend? Or is it best to stay away from the internet and just go for the shops?

Thank you

Glen

Shops will have the advantage of showing you what you are getting for your money, which is a good idea if you aren't familiar with jewellery. They are unlikely to represent the ultimate in terms of cost (stock, a shop and staff are expensive), and you are still left with the trust problem (remember what Mr Ratners said about his stores a few years ago? Well, he was right!).

I think the internet is a very viable channel, as long as you approach it with a sensible attitude and educate yourself as much as possible - for example start by going through the tutorial on this site (and ideally on other diamond forums/sites).

In the UK, for new diamond-based jewellery I'd look at bestdiamonds.co.uk, Blue Nile, diamondgeezer.com (in alphabetical order, based on recommendations/personal knowledge).

If you are prepared to consider the US, there's plenty of excellent internet-based or internet-using retailers: Excel Diamonds, GoodOldGold, James Allen, Whiteflash among others all provide great service and much better quality than the site you started from.

Shops will have the advantage of showing you what you are getting for your money, which is a good idea if you aren't familiar with jewellery. They are unlikely to represent the ultimate in terms of cost (stock, a shop and staff are expensive), and you are still left with the trust problem (remember what Mr Ratners said about his stores a few years ago? Well, he was right!).

I think the internet is a very viable channel, as long as you approach it with a sensible attitude and educate yourself as much as possible - for example start by going through the tutorial on this site (and ideally on other diamond forums/sites).

In the UK, for new diamond-based jewellery I'd look at bestdiamonds.co.uk, Blue Nile, diamondgeezer.com (in alphabetical order, based on recommendations/personal knowledge).

If you are prepared to consider the US, there's plenty of excellent internet-based or internet-using retailers: Excel Diamonds, GoodOldGold, James Allen, Whiteflash among others all provide great service and much better quality than the site you started from.

Thank you very much for the above. I've read a few tutorials on it. But I will continue to research. Also I'll have a look at the above websites.

Just one (I hope) quick question. Is there really much difference between white gold and platinum?

Thank you

Glen

Looks-wise, brand-new items - no.

Feeling-wise - yes. Platinum is much heavier and feels more substantial. It also hurts your wallet more. :)

Longer term, yes, somewhat (platinum will be easier to scratch, but will last longer and require no replating unlike some white golds). At the moment, in relative terms, gold is expensive compared to historical norms - it's likely platinum prices will go up more/fall less than gold's. (disclaimer: I don't have a crystal ball)

BTW - don't worry about asking questions and airing doubts. That's what this board is for!