Urgent Expert Advice Requested - What Do You Make Of This Report?

chippitydog

Hello. Assistance by someone with knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Preliminary info.

Please use this to comprehend whether this is a good buy or not, considering info I provide from GIA report below.

Carat weight: 0.77

Cut: Ideal

Color: G

Clarity: VS2

Depth %: 62.0%

Table %: 55%

Symmetry: Excellent

Polish: Excellent

Girdle: Medium

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 5.90 x 5.88 x 3.65 mm

It's price is 2500$

The GIA report is one of the more thorough ones

Customer service person told that was a sign it was a good diamond because it costs extra

I'm concerned it's a sign of a bad :unsure:

Anyway

I'm not concerned about the inclusions so much

There is one cloud

But a tiny feather damn near the girdle

And then what I'm concerned about

Comments section

Internal graining not shown

Surface graining not shown

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Diamond crystals have "grain" i.e. they show traces of the direction of crystal growth as very faint parallel lines that can either be on the surface when polished (surface grain) or inside the stone (internal grain).

Since the diamond has been graded VS2 for a cloud or feather, and has been graded excellent for polish, these features should be totally invisible with the naked eye and probably would take a skilled observer with a loupe a fair amount of effort to locate. GIA has not reported the location of those lines on the plot on the report. That's all; nothing to be worried about.

I'm a little worried about a couple of things - "more thorough report" probably means a full grading report rather than the slightly cheaper diamond dossier. That's neither a good nor a bad sign in itself; don't let yourself be distracted by what the SA says. Also, you mention "Ideal cut". This is not GIA terminology. In fact, the fact that you aren't giving us a cut grade and pavillion/crown angles makes me suspect that the report itself is pre-January 2006. Nothing wrong with that, but it may mean that the diamond has been sticking around quite some time, and it definitely misses some potentially important information.

Cannot comment on price with the information provided except to say that it's pretty close to the bottom end for online-marketed stones of similar size/colour/clarity, which may be a sign that the cut isn't that great.

Diamond crystals have "grain" i.e. they show traces of the direction of crystal growth as very faint parallel lines that can either be on the surface when polished (surface grain) or inside the stone (internal grain).

Since the diamond has been graded VS2 for a cloud or feather, and has been graded excellent for polish, these features should be totally invisible with the naked eye and probably would take a skilled observer with a loupe a fair amount of effort to locate. GIA has not reported the location of those lines on the plot on the report. That's all; nothing to be worried about.

I'm a little worried about a couple of things - "more thorough report" probably means a full grading report rather than the slightly cheaper diamond dossier. That's neither a good nor a bad sign in itself; don't let yourself be distracted by what the SA says. Also, you mention "Ideal cut". This is not GIA terminology. In fact, the fact that you aren't giving us a cut grade and pavillion/crown angles makes me suspect that the report itself is pre-January 2006. Nothing wrong with that, but it may mean that the diamond has been sticking around quite some time, and it definitely misses some potentially important information.

Cannot comment on price with the information provided except to say that it's pretty close to the bottom end for online-marketed stones of similar size/colour/clarity, which may be a sign that the cut isn't that great.

That is really an awesome answer thank you

Let me answer some of your questions

i'm sorry i was not as accurate as i could have been.

Here's what also you were curious about:

Report is dated March 9, 2009

Cut grade = excellent

pavilion angle = 41

Crown angle = 35

What does all this mean to you? Or anyone?

Well, what it means to me is that there are no glaring red flags in terms of cut quality!

Do you like the stone? Have you compared it to other ones?

Yea I've been trying to find a good value

something with 3/4 carat size but no easily seen flaws

i'm not rich so i'm trying to balance things

i don't know

the price seems too good to be true

but then again diamond prices are down

and people like me are paranoid about comments like surface and internal graining

so that of course lowers it

i just hope there ain't the milky way spinning round in there

I already bought it

I hope it works out

won't get a chance to see it till it's on the ring

hey thanks for your replies

I already bought it

Davide gave solid answers to your questions. The next step is to look at it and see if you love it. If you still have questions, show it to your own chosen expert who can look at it with a trained eye. There's nothing more to be gained by mulling over the lab report.

Congratulations. Show us pictures when you get it finished.

Neil

You bought it, you see it, do you like it?

A suggestion: For your peace of mind, have an Independent Appraiser examine the diamond.

A suggestion: For your peace of mind, have an Independent Appraiser examine the diamond.

i have a chance to cancel

it won't be made for a couple more days

i still think the price is too low and it means it may look bad to the naked eye

is that possible or not

considering it's vs2 excellent polish etc

i'm posting to get your advice

because i can still change my mind :(

i have a chance to cancel

it won't be made for a couple more days

i still think the price is too low and it means it may look bad to the naked eye

is that possible or not

considering it's vs2 excellent polish etc

i'm posting to get your advice

because i can still change my mind :(

The next step is to LOOK at it. That'll tell you what looks bad to the naked eye. If you still have questions or concerns, the following step is to have an expert of your choosing look at it. You're on the right path. Congratulations. Let us know how it goes.

Neil