Went And Looked At Two 1ct+ Fancy Intense Yellows Today...

JDL

Ok, so after the Progem, blue flouresence situation, I asked Jerry to track down only GIA graded stones for me.

Here is what he had for me to look at today. I have the GIA grading report with me for the radiant but I saw the one for the oval as well so if it seems to have less info, that is why.

OVAL:

1.13 carat

Oval Modified Brilliant

Measurements (I can get this tomorrow)

Origin: Natural

Grade Fancy Intense Yellow

Distribution: Even

Clarity: VS2

Polish: Good

Symmetry: Good

Fluorescence: None

$5867

RADIANT:

1.10 carat

Cut-Cornered Rectangular Brilliant

Measurements (6.46 x 5.69 x 3.46)

Clarity: SI2 (Single Feather Inclusion, I saw it under the scope)

Polish: Very Good

Slightly Thick to Thick

$6275

Now, having held both stones, looked at them both under the scope and in both artificial and natural light, the same color grade a side, the radiant is a much more vivid yellow than the oval. The stone is gorgeous (not that the yellow isn't, it just isn't as "potent"). What I am wondering from you, the experts, is whether or not the prices seem reasonable and should the SI2 rating push me more towards the oval VS2 even if the color is not as rich?

Thanks in advance,

Jim (who is constantly learning)

I think it's a perfect demonstration that in fancy colours the importance of the 4Cs goes something like Colour, Colour, Colour, Colour. Even within a GIA grade there can be considerable difference - in a colourless diamond the per carat price difference between VS2 and SI2 would be 20-30% in favour of the SI2; here it's 10% in favour of the VS2... and it seems you appreciate why!

Personal opinion on clarity: if it's eye clean, who cares what the letters are. "Eye clean" is subjective, since it depends on your visual acuity and how closely you look at the stone, but "you'll know it when you won't see it".

Ok, so after the Progem, blue flouresence situation, I asked Jerry to track down only GIA graded stones for me.

Here is what he had for me to look at today. I have the GIA grading report with me for the radiant but I saw the one for the oval as well so if it seems to have less info, that is why.

OVAL:

1.13 carat

Oval Modified Brilliant

Measurements (I can get this tomorrow)

Clarity: VS2

Polish: Good

$5867

RADIANT:

1.10 carat

Cut-Cornered Rectangular Brilliant

Measurements (6.46 x 5.69 x 3.46)

Clarity: SI2 (Single Feather Inclusion, I saw it under the scope)

Polish: Very Good

Slightly Thick to Thick

$6275

Now, having held both stones, looked at them both under the scope and in both artificial and natural light, the same color grade a side, the radiant is a much more vivid yellow than the oval. The stone is gorgeous (not that the yellow isn't, it just isn't as "potent"). What I am wondering from you, the experts, is whether or not the prices seem reasonable and should the SI2 rating push me more towards the oval VS2 even if the color is not as rich?

Thanks in advance,

Jim (who is constantly learning)

Get the one that you like the looks of. You are seeing them in person and as you found out two different fancy intense yellow diamonds can look completely different.

Hi JDL,

I can't really post photos on the other forum- but I'd say trying to take photos in the jewelry store is not going to yield much useful info...

Here's a 3.02 Intense Yellow Cushion

r1885c.jpg

I can tell you it's taken many years to even get to the point I'm at photographing them- and it's very easy to manipulate the light to make them look different. The hard thing in taking photos of Fancy Colored Diamonds is to get them to look how they actually look in person.