Need Help With 2 Diamonds

optimist79

Hello all!

I need help choosing between two diamonds for an engagement ring for my girlfriend.

Both diamonds look great to me. Being a newbee to this, my subjective opinion doesn't mean much.

Here are the specs on the diamonds - both GIA certified and of equal price.

Diamond 1

round

2.01, D, VS2

cut, symmetry, polish - excellent

Depth 62.4

Table 57

Girdle medium to slightly thick

8.05x8.07x5.03

Diamond 2

round

2.02, D, VS2

cut, symmetry - excellent

polish - very good

Depth 60.5

Table 57

Gridle thin to medium

8.21x8.25x4.98

I'm leaning towards diamond #2 because the dimensions are better and the girdle is smaller, but I'm wondering if the polish grade from excellent to very good makes a difference. I'd like to get anyone's opinion for my peace of mind.

Thank you for all your input!

Don't buy the numbers, buy the stone. We don't have enough information to give a sensible judgment on the pros and cons of each stone based on the data you have provided - although as you have noticed, the second one "looks" bigger. The difference in polish is absolutely minimal and something you won't notice at all with the naked eye.

Do you like them both? Do you prefer one? Have you looked at other stones?

Side note (potentially worth a good 20% of your budget): why are you paying a premium for a D colour stone? Have you seen E and F graded stones next to it? Can you tell the difference?

Edited by davidelevi

The difference between Excellent to Very Good Symmetry is ultra-microscopic and nothing that you or anyone else will see. It refers to the alignment of the upper girdle facets to the lower girdle facets. if they align perfectly it is Excellent. if the meet points are microscopically off, it will receive a Very Good. The effect on the intensity and amount of light refraction and face up beauty is nil.

Below is a diagram of the facets of a round brilliant diamond. Note the meet points and alignment of the upper girdle facets to the lower girdle facets.

post-5339-1236726119_thumb.png

Thank you for your input. It's really hard finding time to log on to the forum when the gf is at home.

I've looked at other stones and can only see the differences if they are extreme (e.g IF and SI1, D and I) Seriously, I don't have a good eye for evaluating diamonds, which is why I'm looking for other opinions.

I like both diamonds. Both appear to have the same brilliance, and both look great on the setting I have chosen. I would be happy to purchase either one. I guess the only thing that would tip me one way or the other would be the numbers.

I've decided to go with diamond #2. You have confirmed my suspicion that even an educated consumer would not be able to tell the difference with the naked eye. Thanks again for you help!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all!

I need help choosing between two diamonds for an engagement ring for my girlfriend.

Both diamonds look great to me. Being a newbee to this, my subjective opinion doesn't mean much.

Here are the specs on the diamonds - both GIA certified and of equal price.

Diamond 1

round

2.01, D, VS2

cut, symmetry, polish - excellent

Depth 62.4

Table 57

Girdle medium to slightly thick

8.05x8.07x5.03

Diamond 2

round

2.02, D, VS2

cut, symmetry - excellent

polish - very good

Depth 60.5

Table 57

Gridle thin to medium

8.21x8.25x4.98

I'm leaning towards diamond #2 because the dimensions are better and the girdle is smaller, but I'm wondering if the polish grade from excellent to very good makes a difference. I'd like to get anyone's opinion for my peace of mind.

Thank you for all your input!

These two diamonds are very similar. Diamond #2 is larger , but the symmetry on it is a very good, in comparison to an excellent grade. I would check on the brilliance of the two diamonds because the very good and excellent grades can show a difference in brilliance.

Steven

steven@brilliance.com

www.brilliance.com

Hi Steve,

Just curious, but did you read what Barry wrote above?

Here, let me re-print is as it's a perfect explanation of the symmetry grade on a GIA report.

The difference between Excellent to Very Good Symmetry is ultra-microscopic and nothing that you or anyone else will see. It refers to the alignment of the upper girdle facets to the lower girdle facets.

Since you're linking to a site- indicating that you are somehow in this trade, please learn about waht it is you're advising people on- rather than give incorrect advice.

If two stones are graded by GIA, one has EX symmetry, and the other has VG, there will be no perceptible difference in the brilliance.

Here is a graphic showing the meet points of the upper girdle to lower lower girdle facets (multiple red arrows).

post-5339-1238018698_thumb.jpg

The difference between Excellent to Very Good symmetry is a tad of a hair.