In Search Of A 2.5 To 2.9 Vs1 H Diamond -realistic Price?

Kimber

I'm at a loss since I've purchased a 2.77 VS1 H diamond with an EGL cert Turkey (didn't know this at the time of purchase) from Union Diamond. I took the diamond to two independant appraisers and was told that everything but the color was accurate. The color was more a J (maybe even slightly lower) than H. Very diappointing and frustrating since I've spent so much time trying to find the perfect diamond for my engagement ring. What is a realistic target price for the above diamond that is GIA certified? It seems difficult to get something in an "ideal cut" VS1 H with a GIA cert for under 25k. I'm going to return the above diamond that I paid 21k. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Like every woman, this is the biggest jewelry purchase for us therefore I want a stunning sparkling diamond!

Here's a few diamonds I've found:

http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=57719665&src=builder

http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamond...amp;src=builder://http://www.abazias.com/database/New...src=builder

"Sparkling" is more to do with the quality of cut than the body colour. A poorly cut H will not look a patch on a well cut J (and face up the well cut J may look just as white) - so what did the appraisers have to say about cut quality of the UD stone you have?

The appraisers say that it's an excellent cut...very well proportioned. Prior to purchasing I requested as much information as possible (including a Sarin report). Everything was verified as accurate except for the color. Here are the details:

2.77 Cts. Round Brilliant VS1 H 8.93 -8.88 x 5.59mm

Depth 62.4% Table Width 57% Crown Height 16% Pavilion Depth 43%

Girdle Thickness-Medium to Thick, Faceted

Polish Excellent

Symmetry Excellent

Cutlet- None

Fluorescence None

8 Hearts and 8 Arrows were also verified

Price Paid $21,086

I thought that I would hold onto the stone until I found another one to compare yet I don't want to hang onto it for much longer...but it is quite beautiful! I appreciate your expert advice...Thank you.

Edited by Kimber

Could you see body colour face up to an extent that you found unpleasant?

People's colour discrimination ability varies, and so does their taste - I quite like warm whites (heck, I quite like most diamonds!)

Edit: removed bit referring to post above prior to its edit...

Edited by davidelevi

It has a warm light brownish tint. I tried putting the diamond onto a white piece of paper both face up and down but the light reflects off of the prisims so much that it's hard to tell if it's really the color or the reflections. I will try looking at it during the day in natural light.

I was just disappointed that I was sold a diamond that was represented as one color yet it was at least two full color grades off. One color grade would not have seemed so bad. So is the price I paid in line for what I'd received?

Of course they don't make it obivous prior to purchasing. I tried to verify through the EGL USA website and was told to try EGL International. When I sent an email to EGL International I was told to try EGL Turkey. How is it that these entities aren't related when they all use the same logo? How is a consumer to know the difference? I tried emailing the Turkey "branch" with no response. Then I stayed up until the wee hours trying to call for several nights...you guessed it...no answer not even a machine.

You can see why this experience has been quite frustrating.

"EGL turkey" - it's all in the name B)

Actually, no it's not a turkey. You paid a fair price. Whether it's what you wanted to buy, or whether you can do better at that price point are different questions.

As for light - to judge colour, you need diffused lighting, not focused light. A north-facing room with natural light is best, and unless you have a "natural light spectrum" bulb, artificial light is best avoided.

HI Kimber,

I agree with Davide- it seems you paid a fair price for the actual stone you got.

As a seller, what I find troublesome is companies that try to convince buyers that they are selling a $32k stone for $22k by using bogus "certificates"

That alone might make me want to return the diamond, but don;t cut off your nose to spite your face.

If you really do love it, maybe it's a keeper.....