Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
Sign in to follow this  
hermann

Separate Discussion Area For Synthetics & Simulants?

Lately I've noticed there have been a lot of posts concerning non-natural diamonds.

Should we create a separate forum for these discussions? I even thought of a name -- The Frock :-), but very open to other ideas. This new proposed area would be for simulants & synthetics alike, and once created, we would seed the new forum with all existing relevant topics.

Thoughts? Comments?

Hermann

Any ideas for a name? The main forum is called "The Rock". I was thinking about "The Frock" but I don't want the name to in any way insinuate inferiority or anything of the sort toward synthetics/simulants. Other ideas?

Hermann

Definitely a new forum for this.

How about calling it: "Man Made Diamonds".

Barry
www.exceldiamonds.com
@Exceldiamonds on Twitter

Excel Diamonds on Facebook

sales@exceldiamonds.com
1-866-829-8600
1-212-921-0635

Just as an observer I think "SynthRock" is a catchy name.

Only problem is, "SynthRock" excludes simulants, or implies that simulants are the same as synthetics.

The name should fit with the name of our natural diamond forum which is currently called "The Rock". One thought I had was "The Alternative Rock", for a little play on words. However per Barry's and DenverAppraiser's comments, there's much to be said for plainspeak...

So... torn... however I'm ready to pull the trigger on the new forum as soon as I (or one of you) think of a name.

Hermann

Hermann,

True, I just like catchy names, but can't think of one now. But Neil's idea is good, too.

I also like Frock.

Hermann;

From what I have seen the the majority of consumers do not understand the definition of "synthetic" diamonds and "simulant" diamonds and what the differences are between them. The same came be said for many people in the Diamond Trade.

IMO, using a term that clearly conveys that syns and sims are "different" from diamonds should be our focus. In addition there should be a clear description at the top of the Forum defining both Synthetics and Simulants and their characteristics.

Man-Made Diamonds captures this essence.

Barry
www.exceldiamonds.com

sales@exceldiamonds.com
1-866-829-8600
1-212-921-0635

The vast majority of the questions that come here about man made diamonds are, in practice, about other materials that look sort of like diamonds but aren't. That is to say, simulants. There's quite a bit of marketing hype out there deliberately confusing these topics and I would sure hate to have the forum adding to this confusion.

Neil

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.

Professional Appraisals in Denver

Good point, Neil;

I think a Forum with clear definitions will help in eliminating mis-information, confusion, and shilling which is endemic to those threads.

Barry
www.exceldiamonds.com

sales@exceldiamonds.com
1-866-829-8600
1-212-921-0635

Anyone with additional names? :D

Barry
www.exceldiamonds.com

sales@exceldiamonds.com
1-866-829-8600
1-212-921-0635

Any ideas for a name? The main forum is called "The Rock". I was thinking about "The Frock" but I don't want the name to in any way insinuate inferiority or anything of the sort toward synthetics/simulants. Other ideas?

Hi everyone,

Since we already have "The Rock" which aptly describes diamonds IMO :D

What about... "Other Rocks"?

Brian Knox

www.knoxjewelers.biz

"Diamond Simulants and Lab-Created Gemstones"

If its not too long . . . it would therefore capture all synthetic gemstones including synthetic diamond . . . unless you guys want to limit it just to diamond simulants

Hermann;

From what I have seen the the majority of consumers do not understand the definition of "synthetic" diamonds and "simulant" diamonds and what the differences are between them. The same came be said for many people in the Diamond Trade.

IMO, using a term that clearly conveys that syns and sims are "different" from diamonds should be our focus. In addition there should be a clear description at the top of the Forum defining both Synthetics and Simulants and their characteristics.

Man-Made Diamonds captures this essence.

I agree wholeheartedly. We may have a winner for a name. Picture this for a forum list:

- The Rock

- The Manmade Rock

- ... (other forums)

Of course, with each will be a concise description that Manmade means synthetics, simulants, etc., basically anything that is not a natural, mined diamond, and yes Neil the forum header can have a concise sticky post that defines the basic terms and tries to eliminate all the confusion.

Any other thoughts before I pull the trigger on "The Manmade Rock"?

Hermann

Hermann;

How about this one:

"Diamond Fabricants"

Barry
www.exceldiamonds.com

sales@exceldiamonds.com
1-866-829-8600
1-212-921-0635

How about "Transparent or nearly transparent faceted substances used as substitutes for natural diamonds including but not necessarily limited to synthetic diamonds, other synthetic materials as well as natural and treated natural gemstones."?

Neil

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.

Professional Appraisals in Denver