Am I Better Off Going With H/i Si1 Or G Si2?

cathyb

As I research more and learn more about the hunt for the "perfect diamond", I have more and more questions. As posted in my last posting I found a 2.26 round diamond, excellent cut, symm and polish G SI2 (GIA). The price seemed right by what the ratings. I will receive it tomorrow and analyze. There are quite a few markings in the table on the certificate. I was able to attach certificate. I was told by Blue Nile it was eye clean but we will see. After reading other discussions, I wonder if I am better finding a diamond that is Si1 in a H or J color? I do have a price range that I need to stick to. I also wonder if I sacrafice the Excellent cut, polish and symm for an SI1. What is important to me is that I can't see inclusions when looking at. I have read that cut is everything in a diamond so I hoped that would make inclusions less apparent? Again, feedback is appreciated!! Thanks!

post-117362-1236288022_thumb.jpg

One of the problems with these boards is the "over analyzing" of diamonds.

At this point, you're waiting on a pretty large stone to arrive tomorrow...I'd suggest stopping all the analysis till you look at the actual diamond tomorrow.....otherwise you can drive yourself crazy!

I am beyond crazy at this point. I do feel knowlege is power so I still would love some feedback as if you were responding to someone who had not done any research and was not receiving a diamond tomorrow. Pleeeease.

Cathy - the only way to know if a diamond is eye clean is to look at it. And then look at it again from another angle. And then again. Even a photo won't tell you, and definitely a report plot from GIA won't tell you anything.

Personally, I'd rather have a clean SI2 with a great cut than an SI1 with a so-so cut. Amongst other things cut will make inclusions less apparent, because you'll be dazzled by the light coming back.

Cathy - the only way to know if a diamond is eye clean is to look at it. And then look at it again from another angle. And then again. Even a photo won't tell you, and definitely a report plot from GIA won't tell you anything.

Personally, I'd rather have a clean SI2 with a great cut than an SI1 with a so-so cut. Amongst other things cut will make inclusions less apparent, because you'll be dazzled by the light coming back.

Ok, ok. Thanks, David. Tomorrow morning can't come soon enough! I will post after I recieve it. To be continued.........

Shiny buggers, aren't they :D

Use macro mode, no flash and good lighting on a light contrasting surface (ideally grey)

Ok, drumroll please..............................................................................

Fedex came nice and early today. I opened the box and there was a large gray spot right in the center clear as a bell so I am not taking a picture. Ugh!!!

Cathy;

All the more reason to have had the vendor examine the diamond before shipping and supply you with photos to you so that you can avoid the hassle and expense of return shipping.

Cathy;

All the more reason to have had the vendor examine the diamond before shipping and supply you with photos to you so that you can avoid the hassle and expense of return shipping.

I did ask them to examine it. Blue Nile does not supply pictures.

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but Blue Nile does not have the diamonds on premises, and can't look at them before they ship.....

Makes a very good case for buying from a dealer that has possession of the diamond.

If I was speaking to someone who had done no research, I'd advise them to do their research on sellers, as opposed to trying to become a diamond expert overnight.

NO experienced diamond buyer is going to commit to a stone based solely on measurements.