Ideal Cut Vs. 102 Facets - Which Provides More Brilliance

Chris - DC

My apologies if this topic has been covered in other posts but I am shopping for a 1.5 carat princess cut diamond and wondering if I will get better performance (in terms of sparkle) from one of the diamonds which have more facets (specifically looking at the 102 facet Celebration diamond from Zales) than a typical ideal / well cut princess diamond (with a depth between 63-72%) and (a table between 65-74%). I am willing to spend a little more for a diamond that will reflect light more and also willing to sacrifice on color and clarity a bit for a high performance rock. I have found ideal (and even signature ideal from Blue Nile) princess cut diamonds for a lower price but wonder if it is worth it to spend the money on a diamond with more facets if sparkle is at the top of my priority list?

Thanks in advance for any help.

In short - no. More facets do not equal more sparkle. Well cut diamonds equate with more sparkle.

A design with 102 facets has its own particular look that appeals to some but not others; make sure you compare it to a really well cut traditional princess to decide which one you like best!

In short - no. More facets do not equal more sparkle. Well cut diamonds equate with more sparkle.

A design with 102 facets has its own particular look that appeals to some but not others; make sure you compare it to a really well cut traditional princess to decide which one you like best!

Thank you!

"Standard" princess cuts have either 50, 58 facets (table + 20 crown, 4 girdle, 24 or 33 pavillion, culet) or 76. There's a lot more variation in basic cut than with rounds. Then if you add "variations" on princess such as the profile cut (the original square modified brilliant), the barion, and various proprietary cuts... you get a good amount of confusion. Look at them and decide what you like before you ask about the number of facets.

Chris;

Here is a diagram of the working facets in the standard configuration Princess Cut.

One significant difference you will find is that in some of these Princess the Pavillion facets on the bottom of the stone are divided into four segments, whereas in others the division is into three segments. The light performance depends on their interaction with the Table, Crown height and angle, the cut angle and size of the Triangle facet, and the the cut angle of the point facets. Depending on the interaction of these facets you might get more colored light (dispersion) or scintillation (sparkle). Which is better? Depends which viscerally appeals to you more.

In the 102 facet stone you are likely to see striking and dramatic pinpoint flashes of light. This is a beautiful effect but again a matter of personal preference.

post-5339-1236640340_thumb.jpg

Edited by barry

• 4 years later...

I have a pair of princess cut (square modified brilliant) studs that are the Celebration 102 diamonds.  As soon as I saw them, I fell in love!  They are 1/2 ctw, but look larger.  They're the perfect size for me, as my ears are small.  Anything larger would look gaudy.  They are F/F-SI2/SI2, but very clean.  I'm an amateur, but I studied each stone with 10x mag, very carefully and could not find any inclusions.  Regarding cut, polish and symmetry, both stones are graded "very good", but it wouldn't have surprised me if they were graded "Ideal" or "Excellent".  I say this because they had a Fire Trace analysis that reports light performance for both stones is as good as it gets and I believe it!  The brilliance, scintillation and dispersion of these stones is simply amazing!  I have NEVER seen diamonds with so much fire.  The previous poster was right.  They have dramatic and striking pinpoint flashes of light.  Some say they have a different look and that it's a matter of personal preference, but doesn't everyone look for stones with fire and sparkle that you can see from across the room (of course I'm exaggerating...but not much)?  If possible, I would try to compare both stones in different types of light.

Edited by DLNOK