Finally, A Decision

Dick

Thanks to David Levi, I went to the link he provided and have settled on this 0.7. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4693. It was a bit more than common sense/budget allowed, but the information about the stone (the comprehensive array of images) and the fact that the sales rep that I talk to had the stone in his hands, and looked at it through a microscope one more time....that and he took a couple of more images and fired them of to me. I know this last sentence was a bit convoluted, please excuse. I had to scrimp on a setting, which I figure can be upgraded at a later time. He found me a 14 car. white gold setting for under $200.

Now, I think I am going to go and mix myself a drink.

Dick

Glad to hear it. I'm sure she'll love the stone.

(If she doesn't, blame it on me - and Jon has an excellent return policy anyway :) ).

One followup question:which makes more sense to have the diamond shipped unmounted so it can be inspected or to go ahead and have GoodoldGold mount the diamond in the setting that I have already purchased from them?

Some of what I have read about what appraisers do suggests that they can examine a diamond without removing it from the setting.

Dick

Edited by Dick

I think it rather depends on what is the purpose of the appraisal. If it is to double-check that the diamond you bought is indeed as described, including weight and dimensions, it probably makes more sense for the stone to be kept loose (although the appraiser ought to be able to confirm that the stone is the one on the grading report even when it's set).

If the objective is that of getting an appraisal for insurance purposes, then 1) the receipt/appraisal you'll get from GOG will be enough and 2) it is perfectly feasible to get it on the whole ring rather than just on the stone.

One question - notwithstanding the value of getting an indipendent pair of eyes to look at your purchase, and the corresponding peace of mind, are you sure you want to spend about $200 on this (shipping back and forth + appraisal fees) when you feel you are already scrimping on the setting, GOG has a stellar reputation as well as excellent return and upgrade policies, and you aren't buying the Koh-i-Noor?

If the objective is that of getting an appraisal for insurance purposes, then 1) the receipt/appraisal you'll get from GOG will be enough and 2) it is perfectly feasible to get it on the whole ring rather than just on the stone.

acknowledged thank you.

One question - notwithstanding the value of getting an indipendent pair of eyes to look at your purchase, and the corresponding peace of mind, are you sure you want to spend about $200 on this (shipping back and forth + appraisal fees) when you feel you are already scrimping on the setting, GOG has a stellar reputation as well as excellent return and upgrade policies, and you aren't buying the Koh-i-Noor?

Indeed. You 'made' me work for this advice. :) I did some research into the Koh-i-Noor. What a convoluted story! Re: GOG...I am certain as well with respect to their reputation. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Dick