Question About Setting

icebergtec

Hello Everyone:

Thanks to Davidlevi and others whom have provided valuable feedbacks and suggestions during my diamond purchase process. I have finally made the purchase. A .90 carat F color, VS1 with GIA Trible Excellents. I took it for an independent appraisal, yesterday. The Jeweler thought I made a good purchase...in quality and price. In fact, the appraisal turns out to be higher than both my purchase price, as well as the appraisal the seller provided with the purchase...by about $2k.

Now, I have this "wonderful" diamond. But I need to have it set. the seller, unfortunately, does not have a great deal of settings options for me. I have seen settings from other sellers (excel diamond) for instance, which I am interested in. My question thus is this. Is it advisable to purchase the setting from a second seller and have them mount the diamond? Or what is the best way to approach this. I want to have this done before the 28th of February.

Thank you all in advance for your continued contributions. You guys certainly have helped me a great deal during this process.

I'd recommend to stick with one supplier if you can. This is for two reasons:

1. You have presumably decided to trust them for some reason, and there is some goodwill in the realtionship since you bought the stone there

2. Should anything go wrong with either the setting or the stone (both unlikely but possible), you won't have any issues with people attempting to shift responsibility to each other.

I am sure the jeweller you got the stone from would be able to source a setting from a third party. Before you go down the route of getting the stone to someone else who has the setting you like, give them a further chance explaining exactly your position and wishes.

Good luck!

I'd recommend to stick with one supplier if you can. This is for two reasons:

1. You have presumably decided to trust them for some reason, and there is some goodwill in the realtionship since you bought the stone there

2. Should anything go wrong with either the setting or the stone (both unlikely but possible), you won't have any issues with people attempting to shift responsibility to each other.

I am sure the jeweller you got the stone from would be able to source a setting from a third party. Before you go down the route of getting the stone to someone else who has the setting you like, give them a further chance explaining exactly your position and wishes.

Good luck!

David,

As always, worthy words of wisdom. What you say makes sense to me. I suppose I should contact the jeweler and request the specific setting I'd like. And inquire whether he could source it.

Thanks again.