Have I Found A Good Emerald-cut Diamond?

ShouldIBuy

I'm looking for an "affordable" emerald diamond to propose to my girlfriend. This is the type of stone she likes. I found a loose emerald diamond on the internet and have the specifics. I've done some research on color and clarity and this diamond seems to fit a "nice" diamond. But there are other specs like girdle and polish that hopefully someone could give me feedback on. Here it is, GIA grading:

Carat: 1.0

Color: F

Clarity: VS2

Cut Grade: Premium

Depth: 74.9%

Table: 59%

Girdle: Very Thin to Thick

Cutlet: None

Polish: Very Good

Symmetry: Very Good

Flourescence: None

Measurements: 5.88 x 4.91 x 3.68

Length to Width ratio: 1.2

Price around $2,800

It's practically impossible for anyone to tell you anything on an Emerald Cut based on the two numbers (table and depth) - there are too many other variables (cut angles of the various steps in the pavillion and crown; actual shape and outline - how deeply cut are the corners, ...)

When all that is said and done, the likelihood is that it's not a well cut stone. Why?

1. The price range for 1 ct EC GIA F/VS2 stones from the jewellers that advertise on the "Find Online Jeweler" database is from $2500 to about $6000. Most of that variability is due to cut quality, which is impossible to assess based on the available information on a grading report.

2. It's a fairly deep stone, meaning at the very least it will seem smaller compared to other 1.0 carat stones with better proportions. For comparison, some of the most expensive (and thus one assumes better cut) stones are about 7mm x 5 - which means looking about 20% bigger than the diamond you are considering.

At this point, the key questions are:

Have you actually seen the stone? Have you compared it to other diamonds of similar characteristics (weight/clarity/colour) but different cost? What do you think?

It may well be a reasonably good F/VS1 stone for your budget; personally I would sacrifice something in terms of colour (H), weight (sticking to 0.85-0.95) and possibly clarity (go down to SI1 - with caution!) to get a better cut stone that will look much more lively and interesting to look at.

Hey there,

I agree with Jan. I am wondering if it has a GIA Diamond Grading Report. The GIA Diamond Grading Report is an unbiased, accurate, astute and scientific evaluation of diamonds based on the 4Cs.

Just check out the website: www.gia4cs.gia.edu

I made sure to obtain a GIA Diamond Grading Report for the diamond I bought my girlfriend. Being that GIA (Gemological Institute of America) is an independent and nonprofit organization, and that they are considered the ultimate authority on gemology by the jewelry industry and the US government, I couldn’t have felt more reassured about my decision.

home_diamond_4cs.jpg

Again, make sure to get the GIA Diamond Grading Report BEFORE you purchase the diamond from your jeweler, as this is the only way to authenticate the quality of the 4Cs of your stone.

Good luck,

Rich

Hey there,

I agree with Jan. I am wondering if it has a GIA Diamond Grading Report. The GIA Diamond Grading Report is an unbiased, accurate, astute and scientific evaluation of diamonds based on the 4Cs.

I made sure to obtain a GIA Diamond Grading Report for the diamond I bought my girlfriend. Being that GIA (Gemological Institute of America) is an independent and nonprofit organization, and that they are considered the ultimate authority on gemology by the jewelry industry and the US government, I couldn’t have felt more reassured about my decision.

home_diamond_4cs.jpg

Again, make sure to get the GIA Diamond Grading Report BEFORE you purchase the diamond from your jeweler, as this is the only way to authenticate the quality of the 4Cs of your stone.

Good luck,

Rich

Hey there,

home_diamond_4cs.jpg

Good luck,

Rich

Hey there,

home_diamond_4cs.jpg

Good luck,

Rich

]If you are very interested in how well cut your emerald cut is you may want to consider an ags grading report that analyzes the cut of an emerald cut. there are not so many of these diamonds in the industry, but they do exist. cut is the single factor that will tell you if a diamond will exhibit sparkle, brilliance, and fire. many in the industry agree it is the most important of the 4 Cs, and can account for up to 50% of the price of a diamond.

In the third quarter of 2006, the AGS Laboratory began issuing Diamond Quality Documents that include cut grades for emerald-cut diamonds, including square emeralds (Asscher cuts), rectangular emeralds and octagon step cuts. The lab considers the same light performance and proportion factors that are used for round brilliants and princess cut diamonds.

I'm looking for an "affordable" emerald diamond to propose to my girlfriend. This is the type of stone she likes. I found a loose emerald diamond on the internet and have the specifics. I've done some research on color and clarity and this diamond seems to fit a "nice" diamond. But there are other specs like girdle and polish that hopefully someone could give me feedback on. Here it is, GIA grading:

Carat: 1.0

Color: F

Clarity: VS2

Cut Grade: Premium

Depth: 74.9%

Table: 59%

Girdle: Very Thin to Thick

Cutlet: None

Polish: Very Good

Symmetry: Very Good

Flourescence: None

Measurements: 5.88 x 4.91 x 3.68