Too Good A Deal?

Kaytas

It is from a place in the diamond district. It has a GIA report (I saw the real one as well as the copy) with the number inscripted. I took it to an independent gemologist and they verified all the specs of the diamond w/out seeing the report. The only thing that was slightly off from the GIA report was the color. She thought it was either a F or a G. The report said straight F.

I want to make sure it isn't too good to be true? What are your thoughts. Thanks so much for the feedback.

It's not necessarily too good to be true, but it's at the very low end for that type of stone. You may be getting a good deal, or you may be paying a fair price for a poorly cut diamond. Has the appraiser commented on the cut? Is the GIA report recent enough to give you some data on proportions? Do you like the way the stone sparkles and shines? Even compared to other diamonds?

The appraiser specifically commented (w/out seeing the GIA report w/out being asked about it) first about the cut saying it had a very nice cut. She confirmed what the GIA report said (Cut: Excellent, Polish: Excellent, Symmetry: Excellent). The GIA report is less than 4 months old (which I think is ok, right?).

Also, it does seem very nice. It does sparkle quite a bit (I also took it out of the bright lights to check). And the color is very nice (I was able to tell a difference when looking very carefully on a white piece of paper compared to a G colored stone).

Thanks again

Sorry - I explained myself poorly. GIA introduced cut rating in 2006; in addition to the overall cut grade, there are some critical dimensions/proportions such as crown and pavillion angles. While they aren't a substitute for actually looking at the diamond (and preferably doing so in comparison to others), they may give a warning if the proportions of the stone are unusual. Older GIA reports do not have this information (although dealers may still decide to call a cut "Excellent")

You may have found a deal. If you like it - and particularly if you like it more than other comparable diamonds - buy it.

Plenty of red flags; I'm surprised you could not see the red in the stone. Drop it like a hot coal. Just one thing - who did you say had it? :P

Just kidding. No red flags; it may be a shade deep and with a table smaller than some like, and thus look a tad smaller than other 1.7 ct stones, but I personally would like that look. Bear in mind that I haven't seen the stone, and there is no way in the world I can tell how it looks from 6 (or even 60) numbers.

One last thing - did you look at it with a loupe? Could you identify the inclusion(s) that caused it to be graded VS2 (you should see them on the plot on the report)? Can you spot them with the naked eye (very unlikely, but it could happen)?

If you trust the appraiser (whom I hope you have chosen independently, not upon recommendation of the seller) and you like the look of the diamond, I think you have found a good stone at a very good price.

However a good price on the wrong thing is no bargain. Is this what you are looking for? What I mean is - it's a fair amount of money; you could spend significantly less and have a stone that to all intents and purposes looks the same once set by going one or two grades down in colour and picking a good SI1. Or spend the same and have something significantly larger.

I must say, I’m not understanding your question. Your chosen expert and GIA, both of whom have actually seen it seem to think it’s a nice stone. Presumably the selling dealer has nice things to say about it as well. You’ve seen it and you love it. You’re appraiser, the one that YOU hired to assist with this, reports that it’s undamaged, that it’s the correct stone and thinks the price is good for what you’re getting. That’s a pretty strong case. Apparently you’re still worried, and I understand since it’s a lot of money for basically a blind item but what are you asking us? If you don’t trust your appraiser or you think she's somehow misleading you, fire her ass and hire one that you count as reliable. If you believe her (and the dealer and GIA), buy it and be happy.

Neil

Thanks a bunch for all the help to everyone that responded. This is obviously my first purchase of a diamond and just wanted to get an additional read along with the appraiser, etc.

FWIW - I purchased the diamond and had it set in a six prong platinum setting with small diamonds (total ct weight of .55, F color, SI1 clarity) going 3/4 of the way down the ring. I paid just under $15k including tax, etc. I hope she likes it!!

Again, thanks for everyone's help. You all were extraordinarily helpful to a real novice.