The Tolkowski Cut Story

Dick

The other day, I called a local business which has a half page spread in the Yellow Pages – actually two half page spreads on separate pages. “$ Wanted $ Gold – Diamonds†and “Great Deals on Quality Diamonds†are in huge bold print. I decided to call. This guy answered the phone and pursuant to my inquiry said he had just come across a “very special†.9 round stone. But about that time someone came in his store and he promised to get back to me. He did say that he would sell it for a 50% discount to the RAP sheet price. Today I got back in touch with him (he never called me back) His story this go around was that not only was this a “very special diamond†but that it was a Tolkowski cut and that made it all the more special. He said that the cut was Ideal; it was an H in color, SI2 with an EGL evaluation. So, I said, “how much are you asking?†Well, he says, “I am not sure. There are lot dealers that would snatch this stone up in a second because it is a Tolkowski cutâ€. Well, look, I said, you are wasting my time. Do you want to sell the diamond or don’t you? And if you do, I’d like to know what you are going to ask for it.†He said he’d get back to me.

Very strange conversation.

Dick

Marcel Tolkowski was a well regarded cutter/mathematician from the turn of the last century who was noted for cutting nice stones and who, more importantly, wrote a book about how to do it. Much of his work is still used by cutters today.

Despite the opposition of his grandson, Gaby Tolkowski, who is a superb cutter in his own right, EGL International and a few other labs use the Tolkowski name to promote stones that aren’t even close to the original specs. There was actually a lawsuit over this topic. EGL-USA doesn’t use the term although I think it has more to do with respect for the Tolkowski family than any court order but EGLI continues to promote it.

Just another reason to avoid EGLI graded stones.

If you’re interested in such things, Tolkowski’s book has been translated and is available free online in English although I must admit it does read a little like a math book. Gotta love the Internet.

http://www.folds.net/diamond/index.html#top

Neil

Despite the opposition of his grandson, Gaby Tolkowski, who is a superb cutter in his own right, EGL International and a few other labs use the Tolkowski name to promote stones that aren’t even close to the original specs. There was actually a lawsuit over this topic. EGL-USA doesn’t use the term although I think it has more to do with respect for the Tolkowski family than any court order but EGLI continues to promote it.

Just another reason to avoid EGLI graded stones.

Duly noted.

If you’re interested in such things, Tolkowski’s book has been translated and is available free online in English although I must admit it does read a little like a math book. Gotta love the Internet.

http://www.folds.net/diamond/index.html#top

Thanks Neil.

Dick