Recently Bought A F,vvs2 Idea Cut H&a Egl Cert.

boxed

Sunday, was my day...i've been searching long and hard for this perfect diamond that i wanted to purpose. I bought it from http://www.diamonddistrictusa.com/ (not sure if i'm allow to post links) My experience so far with them are Excellent. I chose quality over quantity on the diamond, .90 ct. It looked perfect on her finger wasn't too big nor small. She was very happy. I don't have the direct spec of the diamond on me, but if i can remember clearly

round brilliant cut

.90 ct

VV2

F

Polish Ex, Symmetry Ex

girdle thin to medium

serial code laser in.

Hearts and Arrows.

They were very competitive on the pricing compare to blue nile. $6800 (i could of done better)

But anyways, got one of the biggest problems done. Onto the settings, she already chose a palladium setting but we thought about a platinum instead in the first place. But the gemologist advised us of a cheaper metal, palladium. Have any of you had any negatives to say about palladiums? Did i make a mistake instead of going white gold or platinum? ... I hope not... :0

Off to the important stuff !

I haven't purchase a wedding band yet, still undecided on the type of metal. Leaning towards palladium as well instead of platinum, I do use my hands offend. (washing, moving, grease etc) What'd you guys think?

btw, i'll be picking up the ring tomorrow at the jeweler.

Edited by boxed

Btw, out of the 3 metals, Gold, Palladium, Platinum..

I know gold and platinum are much much more expensive, but when it comes to jewelry why does white gold cost less if not close to palladium rings (same family as platinum etc i know)?

The wedding bands that i'm looking at (3mm width for her, 6mm width for me)

this style

ru10078.jpg

they're asking $495 6mm width hers they're asking $395. Much more expensive than gold...

I'm going to offer them 600 for the set? Reasonable offer? Let me know.... Thanks.

Congrats!

Since you're here you will learn a lot about diamonds- a shame you did not check before buying.

To get an accurately graded diamond, the only report you can use is GIA, or AGSL.

Dealers do not accept EGL grading- this is especially true when it comes to the higher color and clarity grades- such as an F/VVS2.

If you were comparing to Blue Nile, and using a diamond with an EGL report, the comparison is not at all a valid one- as BN sells diamonds graded by GIA.

I believe a seller has a responsibility to accurately represent diamonds.

Trying to convince people an EGL report is anything like a GIA report in the eyes of the diamond industry is misleading.

I hope you love the diamond- and hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I have to assume you want honest answers seeing that you asked.

In terms of a band, go with gold or platinum.

I understand, he offered 3 other loose diamonds with GIA gradings (i told myself i only want GIA report), i didn't like them. Size ranged from .91 to 1.02, didn't like the numbers and cut. So these reports do make a big difference in this industry.

Can you explain why i should go with gold or platinum wedding band?

The report makes a HUGE difference.

A diamond graded G/VS2 by GIA could get F/VVS2 from EGL- and this type of "overgrading" makes comparing the prices impossible.

But worse is when dealers who know the difference very well attempt to purposefully confuse the issue.

Rahter than compromise on your very correct instinct to go with a GIA graded stone, my suggestion would have been to check out other dealers, if the one you were woking with was not explaining these differnces to you.

Palladium is simply not on the same level as gold or platinum- it can't be worked the same way, and does not hold value in the same manner as gold or platinum.

To understand why gold and platinum jewelry cost more than palladium jewelry you need look no further than here:

http://www.kitco.com/market/

That’s a reporting of the world metals market including all 3 of the ones mentioned. Today gold is $855/oz, Platinum is $933 and Palladium is $183.

Which is 'better' depends on your taste. Stainless steel, after all, is both a superb material and is far less expensive but it fails for more ephemeral reasons. There’s a tradition to gold and platinum as jewelry materials that seems to attract people. Although it doesn’t apply to the rings you’re looking at, there are certain manufacturing techniques that require different metals.

I guess I’m a sucker for the whole tradition thing and tend to shy away from palladium as a fad, rather like titanium and tungsten. There’s nothing wrong with it, and it is a little bit cheaper, but I’m still not convinced. Perhaps that makes me a fuddy-duddy and perhaps it makes me a romantic. I suppose this difference too is a matter of taste.

Neil

I'm sure they can. One of the primary ingredients in several of the recipes for white gold is palladium.

I can't think of any two tone manufacturers using gold & palladium but there's nothing other than marketing concerns that would prevent them from doing it. Ask your jeweler to show you what they can get or that they can make.

Neil

I'm sure they can. One of the primary ingredients in several of the recipes for white gold is palladium.

I can't think of any two tone manufacturers using gold & palladium but there's nothing other than marketing concerns that would prevent them from doing it. Ask your jeweler to show you what they can get or that they can make.

Neil

What would be the price of the ring shown above cost If it was made that way? Est. If you were to make that ring...We're having a with draw ATM, I told her to choose platinum setting. Better more popular metal yet price didn't matter it's just the longativity of it. Same with the wedding band, I'm much leaning towards platinum now. But my jewler insist on the palladium since they make it out of gold and palladium at half the cost.

Different people charge different rates for their labors. You’ve got a jeweler, ask HIM what HE will charge. Perhaps have a few competitors bid on it and compare. As a general rule, off the shelf things are less expensive than custom designs so you’ll probably save some money if you can find what you want in a catalog.

Neil

I'm sure they're eager for your business. 2008 was a tough year for jewelers and 2009 isn't looking better. I'm less sure that a custom manufactured piece is the way to get the bottom prices, actually, I'm sure it's NOT. If you're going with factory spec goods, you don't get to pick things like the alloy used in the white gold and palladium is not the usual recipie. Perhaps one of the jewelers here will come on with something competitive that's already made.

Neil

Negotiation is rarely a negative thing.

The only caveat I'd make is that sometimes a seller that's confronted with a tough negotiator will lessen something about the deal and not share this fact.....

I know we would not use palladium and yellow gold together, but there's probably some seller that will.

Trying to estimate the price if the ring is very difficult as many factors come into play.

look at it this way: A Size 13 is going to cost more than a size 7- possible by a large margin.

Then we'd need to know the mm width and the actual weight of the piece to even begin to take a guess.

Ah, what the heck, I'll guess anyway!

I'll say it might cost between $900- $1800 in white gold or palladium if it's a typical men's size ( say 10) and about 5mm wide......

I think you should go with palladium. You won't have to worry about the ring turning kind of yellowish. You should be able to get the set for around $600 in palladium. I checked and that price would be reasonable for both bands. If they won't do it for you, we can get them for you for that range and they come with lifetime resizing policy as well.

I think you should go with palladium. You won't have to worry about the ring turning kind of yellowish. You should be able to get the set for around $600 in palladium. I checked and that price would be reasonable for both bands. If they won't do it for you, we can get them for you for that range and they come with lifetime resizing policy as well.

Thanks Jan! I'll see what i can bargain off on sunday. I seriously overpaid for the setting on my gf's ring... !

ru10078.jpg

they're asking $495 6mm width hers they're asking $395. Much more expensive than gold...

I'm going to offer them 600 for the set? Reasonable offer? Let me know.... Thanks.

I'm confused. With most manufacturers, palladium is LESS expensive than gold. Is this not what you're observing?

Neil

ru10078.jpg

I'm confused. With most manufacturers, palladium is LESS expensive than gold. Is this not what you're observing?

Neil

The prices i've been seeing for gold bands are about 50-60$ less than what's priced from my jeweler for the palladium, I'm pretty pissed at them for the moment, me being promised the engagement would be here and ready for me. Oh it was ready for me, but the way they sized my gf's ring, the ring came out all slanted on one side. I mean wtf... how can you not notice something this big? Do they NOT double check their workmanship?

Jan, do you have a website where i can look at your products? I will most likely buy from you... PM me details please.