Price Break-down Of A Small Stone?

Probvs

That will vary greatly depending on what marketplace you’re discussing. In finished jewelry, for example, the ‘installation fee’ is often significantly more than the cost of the stone. Sort of like when you buy a steak at a restaurant instead of at grocery. Are you fishing for data for a school paper or something?

Neil

No, I've been watching small diamonds of different colours been sold for small bucks on Ebay, and was wondering who is losing money here. I always thought that cutting a diamond is a very hard, labour intensive work.

For example I see a 0.16K round champaigne colour diamond, SI-I1 clarity been sold for $9.99. That's before all ebay and paypal fees of course. How in the world they manage to make money here? Considering that everyone-- Miner, Shipper/Insurer, Cutter, Seller gotta eat, not mentioning all those bugs who will impose all kinds of import-export taxes between all of them. How is it possible at $9.99?

It *IS* a lot of work and cutters of low end goods are very poorly paid for their skills and time, as are most miners.

Ebay sellers of $10 things are hoping they will go for more or that you will buy multiple things from them, like a setting or whatever or that you'll upgrade to something more expensive. In the end, selling crappy diamonds for $10 on ebay isn't a very good business model. Ebay, on the other hand, makes out just fine on these deals. :rolleyes:

Be very wary of claims like 'champagne' color and 'SI-I1' clarity. These are not used in a standardized way and one persons idea of 'champagne' is another persons idea of 'mud'.

Neil