How Do I Know The Diamonds Are Genuine

sian89

hello,

I am now in the process of purchasing a diamond necklace and am unsure as to what to look for in confirming weather the diamonds are what im being told they are is there any tests i can carry out to help put my mind to rest before handing over any cash and were can i purchase the tools to assist me

There are tests - but my first and foremost question is: if you are considering buying an expensive object such as a diamond necklace from someone you cannot trust, why are you considering buying from them at all?

If you think you cannot rely on the vendor's word, purchase using a credit card, request a bill of sale/invoice with a full description of what you are buying (number of diamonds, size, colour, clarity, any grading reports, ...) and clarification of their return policies, so that you have some recourse should the worst happen. Then hire an indipendent appraiser to verify that the necklace is as described.

The cost of a "good" testing kit is almost certainly higher than a thorough evaluation by a professional, and the latter carries considerably lower risk of getting things wrong.

If you have doubts about the product, your best bet would be to do some research and buy from a trusted source. You may find that the vendor is, as most vendors in the trade are, trustworthy. You can also put your mind at ease with an appraisal/valuation from an independent entity. They've already bought the testing equipment and completed the training to use it.

• 2 weeks later...

The best way to make sure that what you are getting is the real thing is to ask for the GIA grading report, if they don't have one insist that they send the diamonds in for grading. A grading report from GIA is the most reliable source, their only interest is the well being of the consumer. They are definitely a trusted source.

Best of luck!

The best way to make sure that what you are getting is the real thing is to ask for the GIA grading report, if they don't have one insist that they send the diamonds in for grading. A grading report from GIA is the most reliable source, their only interest is the well being of the consumer. They are definitely a trusted source.

Best of luck!

Nowithstanding GIA's reliability, I beg to disagree. They are an organisation with its own goals and objectives, and not a charity or a consumer protection body.

Oh, and in terms of being "the most reliable source", AGSL is at least on a par.