Fire Mark Princess Cut

Beck

Hello,

Does anyone know much about Fire Mark princess cut diamonds? I just went to my local jeweler and he showed me a 1.06ct stone that looked very beautiful. I don't have all the specs right now, but he showed me the GIA and GCAL certificates and they seemed impressive. Does $4,600 seem unreasonable for this diamond. I want to set this stone on a Memoire petit band. Any comments would be appreciated. Obviously, I have to list the specifications for your overall opinion. I wanted to get any input on the brand name.

Thanks,

Beck

Hello,

Does anyone know much about Fire Mark princess cut diamonds? I just went to my local jeweler and he showed me a 1.06ct stone that looked very beautiful. I don't have all the specs right now, but he showed me the GIA and GCAL certificates and they seemed impressive. Does $4,600 seem unreasonable for this diamond. I want to set this stone on a Memoire petit band. Any comments would be appreciated. Obviously, I have to list the specifications for your overall opinion. I wanted to get any input on the brand name.

Thanks,

Beck

Is Fire Mark a brand of the jewelers? I haven't heard of it. Also you didnt' list anything about the stone other than the carat weight and price so hard to tell you if it is a reasonable price or not.

Is Fire Mark a brand of the jewelers? I haven't heard of it. Also you didnt' list anything about the stone other than the carat weight and price so hard to tell you if it is a reasonable price or not.

FireMark is a new brand of princess cut. I just called him up and he brought up the GIA cert and it is an SI1 clarity and everything else is marked at Excellent.

Here is what I found about Fire Mark

"

In New York, Hasenfeld-Stein decided that the ever-popular princess cut could do with a little updating. The company has been cutting princesses for more than ten years. In 2001, they began experimenting with the "Ideal" princess. Having tracked the light performance of thousands of stones since then, continuously refining the angles to achieve ever maximum light return and scintillation, the company launched the FireMark Princessâ„¢ in 2008.

According to the company, demand for the stone has been unprecedented. "There was no way we could have anticipated the reaction," says Steve Feldman, director of sales and marketing. "Every single retailer who saw FireMark at the Premier and JCK Shows in Vegas, as well as the JA/New York Show in the Javits Center, said FireMark was the most beautiful Princess Cut diamond they had ever seen. That’s every single retailer (store owners, diamond buyers and salespeople), without exception. And an extraordinary number of retailers have already signed up."

With such strong demand, the company has big plans for their patented cut. Production on the stone currently accounts for less than 5 percent of Hasenfeld-Stein's production. However, they plan to move much more of their princess production to the stone and see the percentage growing to 15 to 20 percent in the near future. In addition, while they already has a network of retailers in the U.S. and a major distributor in the Far East, they are aiming to have around 200 Couture level retailers in the U.S. and four to five major distributors overseas.

With a price premium of 6 to 10 percent for FireMark Princesses versus typical good quality princesses, it's not surprising that more and more retailers are interested in selling the diamond. The premium, says the company, is based solely on the difference in yield, which is considerable. The stones themselves look slightly larger than stones of a similar weight. There are a number of other differences in the stone including a much smaller table than other diamonds – 65 percent compared to the industry average of 75+ percent, chamfered corners that greatly minimize chipping and are invisible to the naked eye and a patent pending double crown. Currently, the diamonds range in size from 0.50 carats to 3.5 carats in D-J colors and in IF to SI2 qualities.

Taking a different approach from manufacturers who are embracing every possible sales avenue, Hassenfeld-Stein is selling their diamond to independent jewelry retailers only. The stones cannot be found in chains, on the Internet or on diamond listings. The company has a very comprehensive marketing support program backing up the diamond that includes consumer brochures, counter cards and ad slicks. They provide sales training for retail salespeople, includes printed brochures and a soon to be released DVD that features Hertz Hasenfeld explaining in detail the product and the production process and helping salespeople understand what to say and what not to say to customers.

As to whether the FireMark Princess is a gimmick, Hertz Hassenfeld, is surprisingly upfront about his opinion that it is a great publicity device. "When the caveman invented fire, his friend called it “an attention-getting gimmickâ€. He was right. And we’re all the better off for that. We want the attention," he says. "Retailers need the attention. Consumers will love the attention. It is a great “gimmick.†It is also the most perfectly cut princess diamond in the world, with consistently the highest light performance in the industry. And rest assured, you won’t find any retailers calling this a gimmick," he says."

It really is a beatiful stone. Any comments?

I've don't think I've ever seen one but that doesn't mean that they aren't lovely. There are quite a few unsupported claims in the above press release that I would not be inclined to take on face value but, who know, they may be a terrific brand. Have you seen one? Even better, have you seen several?

Here's a few questions that come to mind:

What do you mean by "Ideal" princess cuts that you've been practicing with?

What is the source of the 6-10% price premium? What marketplace is being used?

Why the reliance on GCAL for cut grading? What is being measured, what scale are they using and, in particular, what does 'excellent' mean?

How many retailers is an 'extraordinary' number and where, specifically, can someone go to look at one, compare it to other offers or possibly buy one?

You still haven't provided color so there's no way the folks here can take a stab at proposing alternatives that you can then use as a basis to decide for yourself if the asking price is justified. Hopefully this is a simple oversight by you and not a deliberate effort by the jeweler to hide something that he doesn't want you to know. It is, of course, easy to produce a stone for less money, the trick is producing a comparable one and for you to decide if that extra row of crown facets is worth what it costs.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Here are the specifications based on the GIA documentation:

Square Modified Brilliant

5.73 x 5.66 x 3.89

Carat Weight: 1.04 carat

Color: I

Clarity: SI1

Depth: 68.7%

Table: 65%

Girdle: MED to STK

Culet: NON

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Excellent

Fluorescence: None

Well, let's say that the premium is more like 25% compared to "unbranded" stones available online - purely based on size/colour/clarity. However, finding really well cut princesses is not all that easy, so perhaps that extent of premium for "the very best" (if one believes their claim) is worth it. Also, their insistence to use "traditional" channels will add to the cost compared to the cheapest available.

The closest "branded" stones (Crafted by Infinity) I could find are a 0.91 J/SI2 AGS000 (interestingly, with a 60.4% table) for $3557, perfectly square at 5.32 x 5.32, and a 0.92 H/VS1 AGS000 for $4540, neither one of which is a very good match, but they do show the bracket of prices.

Edited by davidelevi

• 4 years later...

In order to research "Fire Mark" properly....you need to put the two words together with No space in between.  It is "FireMark" patent Princess cut diamond.  Diamond Vault of Troy in Troy, Michigan sells them.  Very few jewelers are given the avenue to sell this patent cut diamond.  I have seen almost every cut of diamond and None have come close to the sparkle and light return this diamond cut provides.  FireMark Princess cut diamond has 98 to 100% light return and that beats almost every cut diamond out there except some of the most perfect cut round brilliant.  

Plus a FireMark cut diamond has No pointed corners!  They have 7 facets which help the light to reflect and bounce around in the diamond, and you do not have to put "V" tip prongs on the corners since there is no sharp points.  The FireMark Diamond is not cut deep like most regular Princess cuts and has two crowns on the top that gives it a much larger look ....10% larger than a regular Princess Cut.  There are some excellent videos on youtube that you can see about FireMark cut Diamonds that will show everything about it.  

But there is Nothing that shows how great this type of cut looks like until you see it on your hand.  It sold me as soon as I saw one on my hand.  Colored diamonds were my favorite until I saw the perfection of this cut that the FireMark Princess Cut diamond gives!

Go on FireMarkdiamond.net and find a retailer near by and check it out....well worth seeing!