Please Advise On This Diamond Engagement Ring

Beck

Hello,

I am looking to buy my girlfriend a diamond engagement ring. There is one in particular I found on amazon.com that I think is a great deal. She wants a princess cut with side stones and this ring has them both. I will give the specifications. Please advise whether this would be a good purchase or not. I would appreciate any comments. The ring set is selling for $4,800.

Product Specifications

Jewelry InformationBrand Name:Samuel David

Metal stamp:18k

Metal:white-gold

Material Type:diamond

Gem Type:Diamond, Diamond Side Stones

Setting:designer-setting

Sizing lower range:4

Sizing upper range:8

Stone Weight:0.7300 carats, 1.8000 carats

Diamond Information

Resizable:Y

Stone shape:princess-shape

Minimum color:F

Minimum Clarity:VS2

Cut:very-good-cut

Symmetry:very-good

Polish:very-good

Minimum Total Carat Weight:2.5300 carats

Diamond side stones Information

Resizable:Y

Stone shape:round-brilliant-shape

Minimum color:GH

Cut:very-good

Polish:Not Available

Thank You

Is it a princess cut diamond center that is 3/4 ct. with a round diamond on each side like this one? I was having a hard time telling from the description. Also does it have a GIA lab report on the center diamond? Who graded it a very good cut grade. GIA doesn't use this terminology on their lab reports for princess cut diamonds. Some other things were that it said in the description it was F color, then down below it says G-H. Above it says polish and symmetry very good, below it says no polish info. Above it looked like it was a 1.80 ct. total weight, below it says 2.53 ct. Very confusing.

post-10-1231430683_thumb.jpg

Edited by jan

Is it a princess cut diamond center that is 3/4 ct. with a round diamond on each side like this one? I was having a hard time telling from the description. Also does it have a GIA lab report on the center diamond? Who graded it a very good cut grade. GIA doesn't use this terminology on their lab reports for princess cut diamonds. Some other things were that it said in the description it was F color, then down below it says G-H. Above it says polish and symmetry very good, below it says no polish info. Above it looked like it was a 1.80 ct. total weight, below it says 2.53 ct. Very confusing.

Here is the link to the ring. I do not see where a particular lab report is specified so I would further inquire this. Thanks for comments, please let me know what you think.

http://www.amazon.com/2-53-PRINCESS-DIAMON...4820&sr=8-4

post-10-1231430683_thumb.jpg

You want to buy a car. The seller says it has four wheels, four doors, front and rear seats, bodywork has no dents and it's red. It costs $4800. Would you sign the cheque?

The description you have there is pretty much the same...

As a bystander of this site, I view it for learning andsome good information, as do other people. You as an "advanced member" should not be so sarcastic to the person seeking some information. Maybe you should try to help a little. Isn't that what this forum is for??

You want to buy a car. The seller says it has four wheels, four doors, front and rear seats, bodywork has no dents and it's red. It costs $4800. Would you sign the cheque?

As a bystander of this site, I view it for learning andsome good information, as do other people. You as an "advanced member" should not be so sarcastic to the person seeking some information. Maybe you should try to help a little. Isn't that what this forum is for??

Thank you for that, that post had me confused. I am honestly looking for people's opinions.

Hi Beck,

Welcome to the forum. I am pretty familiar with the way that Amazon lists the information, and I think they are a little confusing...perhaps that is the biggest difficulty.

As for an opinion about the rings...I think they look very pretty, I cannot comment on quality as I don't know anything about the seller...that is something you will have to reasearch...my concern for you...is that you are not being shown any documentation about the center stone. The picture that is supposed to represent a report is blurry, and has a big SAMPLE written across it. Have you contacted the seller, and asked him for a copy of the lab grading report for this diamond? I would do that before anything else.

I would also check the sellers feedback on Amazon...that will give you some idea of the experience that other customers have had with them.

I would encourage you not to get swayed by the difference between the "List Price" and the actual price. Generally speaking...you get what you pay for, and finding a good deal is not always the case. Make sure that you are getting what you pay for. Any jeweler who is giving you a good product will have not problem showing the documentation and information that backs that up.

Lastly, I would encourage you to stick with a GIA or AGS lab report...they tend to be more strict when grading color and clarity, and that will help you get a nicer stone.

I wish you all the best in your search!

Tim A.

Apologies if that came across as sarcastic, but it's the simple truth. The information on the post is completely insufficient to assess the items. With more info as supplied later, we can work something out...

The Amazon ring - which by the way is a set with ER and wedding band - has a 1.8 ct princess cut graded "minimum" F/VS2; we don't know by whom; the deliberately small and smudged sample certificate showed on Amazon is by UGL. Let's assume it is a UGL certificate - which is to say largely useless to determine colour and clarity; it can't get much worse than this, can it?

GIA is widely held as the reference lab for diamond grading; a GIA-graded diamond with those "minimum" grades is priced by the vendors on the "Find Online Jeweler" at $13,300 - $14,800. And remember, these are "minimum", i.e. worst case; it could be a better stone, say an E-VVS2, worth another few hundreds more.

So - great deal, isn't it? Bzzzt - wrong! If looks too good to be true, it is.

Diamonds - particularly colorless diamonds in sizes below 4 ct in popular cuts - are fairly transparently priced, both wholesale and retail. If this diamond is for sale (retail) at $10,000 below a GIA-graded 1.8 F/VS2, you can bet your bottom dollar it's NOT a GIA 1.8 F/VS2. No jeweller works with this type of margin, and even if Samuel David did, they would not leave all that money on the plate by simply advertising on Amazon (whom - let's not forget - adds another layer of margin on top of what the jeweller gets). So what is it?

Well, from the picture of the rings, there's 20 or so melee diamonds for a total of 0.73 ct; these are graded G-H, no clarity indication, no indication of who graded those (presumably Samuel David themselves, given the size of the stones). Let's be charitable, and assume it's as stated; good quality 3pt melee (well cut, VS clarity, G-H colour) will retail for about $500/ct, so there's $350 of it there. Then there's two rings in 18k white gold, plus setting work. Let's say they buy in bulk and it's cheaply made, so $1,000 in all at most. That leaves about $3,800 for the centre stone. Give or take $200 for a GIA report + return shipping....

Let's assume that the centre stone is 1.8 ct - what does $3,800 buy us in a 1.8 ct princess cut from a competitive online retailer? The answer - approximate, always using the "Find Online Jeweler" button - is a GIA-graded K-L I1, probably with fairly indifferent cut.

Is this analysis right? Who knows; it's a possible way of estimating what's there - and I've been quite conservative with my assumptions, so it's likely the centre stone is even worse. Is that centre stone as purported "F/VS2"? Not if we use GIA standards to grade it - which is roughly what the industry uses; however there is no legal standard, so pretty much anyone can call their diamonds what they like. Is it a nice set? Not to my eyes, but I really dislike princess cuts and cast-on engraving - Tim for example seems to like it. Will she like it? Only she can answer. Is it a good deal? Most unlikely. Would I trust this jeweller? Like an angry rattlesnake.

Edited by davidelevi

I would say that Davide's intention was good.

The point is that the info provided is not enough to make a decision.

Wow, I just looked at that listing- it's absolutely horrible.

In terms of the photo, I would doubt that the ring in the photo is the one the buyer will get- I'd bet it's a sample photo, except there's no mention of that fact.

I feel that is pretty slimy.

Then there's the center stone- 2.53 F/VS2.

Such a stone should NEVER be bought without a GIA report- of course there's no mention of that either.

then there's the price- which is a dead giveaway.

Let's say you saw an ad for a brand new Mercedes SL600 sports car.

The price? $4816.32.

You'd know straight away there was either an error in the listing, or it was bogus.

I don't know which is the answer here, but no one is selling a natural 2.53caat F/VS2 Princess Cut diamond for $4900.....

O.K. now that I saw the listing. It lists the setting as a designer setting, but doesn't say which designer the setting is from. Also stone doesn't have a GIA lab report, and the picture of the appraisal sample looks like a bogus appraisal as well. I would say to steer clear of this one. Lots of red flags on this purchase.