Help Needed To Determine Which Stone

Honrix

Hi all,

Guess like many, it comes a time to buy a diamond for our love one, however even with much research, guess i am still stuck with many questions on which is the better stone to buy. Anyone out there can help to comment?

Stone 1

Colour: HClarity: SI1Carat: 0.73Cut: ExcellentPolish: ExcellentSymmetry: ExcellentMeasurement: 5.81-5.77 x3.56mmDepth: 61.5%Pavilion Angle: 40.8 DegTable: 57%Pavilion Depth: 43%Crown Angle: 35 DegGirdle: Med to StkCrown Height: 15%FL: NoneCutlet: NonePrice: Approx US2254

Stone 2

Colour: HClarity: SI1Carat: 0.71Cut: ExcellentPolish: ExcellentSymmetry: ExcellentMeasurement: 5.74-5.77 x3.5mmDepth: 60.8%Pavilion Angle: 40.8 DegTable: 58%Pavilion Depth: 43%Crown Angle: 33.5 DegGirdle: Med to StkCrown Height: 13.5%FL: NoneCutlet: NonePrice Approx US2435

stone 3

Colour: GClarity: SI1Carat: 0.72Cut: ExcellentPolish: ExcellentSymmetry: V.GMeasurement: 5.78-5.81 x3.57mmDepth: 62.1%Pavilion Angle: 40.8 DegTable: 58%Pavilion Depth: 43%Crown Angle: 36 DegGirdle: Med to StkCrown Height: 15.5%FL: NoneCutlet: NonePrice Approx US2298

I had yet to phsically view any of the stones, all comes with GIA certificate.

Thks in advance for any help rendered.

Why did you come down with these three particular stones? (BTW - I assume they are round brilliant cut, but that's a pretty essential piece of information that you aren't giving us)

What is causing your doubts, since you haven't seen any of the three?

I don't mean to sound flippant, but you can't select a diamond just by looking at the numbers. Well, you can, but once you have passed some pretty basic tests (which stones 1 and 2 seem to do pretty well; stone 3 is what is known as a "steep/deep", which some don't like but could be a remarkably nice stone nevertheless), there's no substitute for looking at the stones themselves!

What do the sellers of the stones say? Are the stones eye-clean? Can they see them side-by-side and give you a comparison?

Hi Honrix,

Having bought millions and millions of dollars worth of diamonds over the past year, I'd never feel comfortable buying even one based only on the measurements.

You've mentioned that you had not seen the diamonds in person yet- is that something you'd be able to do?

Next best, if you're buying from an internet seller you are comfortable with, is getting their in-person review.

Hi,

Thks for the advices so far, these stones i wish to buy was wht i orginally searched through in one of the online website i plan to buy the diamond from. Just spoken to the service rep from the company and they had responsed to me by recommending another stone as compared to mine.

Stone 1

Round Brilliant

5.85-5.87 x3.52mm

0.74, H VS2

Cut, Polish,Sys: All excellent

Clarity Characteristics: Cloud Finish

Depth: 60.1%

Table:60%

Crown Angle:33.0 Deg

Crown Height: 13%

Pavillion Angle: 41 Deg

Pavillion Depth:43.5%

Star length :55%

Lower half :80%

Girdle: Med to Stk

Faceted (3.8%)

Culeet: N

FL:N

Price: USD2733

Stone 2

Round Brilliant

5.77-5.81 x3.56mm

0.73, H SI1

Cut, Polish,Sys: All excellent

Clarity Characteristics: Twinning Wisp, Cloud Finish

Depth: 61.5%

Table:57%

Crown Angle:35.0 Deg

Crown Height: 15%

Pavillion Angle: 40.8 Deg

Pavillion Depth:43%

Star length :55%

Lower half :80%

Girdle: Med to Stk

Faceted (3.4%)

Culeet: N

FL:N

Price:USD2253

Stone 1 is recommended by the seller and stone 2 was one of the 'better' stone i thought i had selected based on certain stats i had read from the internet. I do understand tht nothing beats seeing the stone to make the best judgement. Primarily at this moment i just trying to weed out the stones based on stats n recommendation from sellers and finally maybe compare just 2 stones prior to committing.

Again thks for the valuable advices given. Appreciate it. feel free to comment on the above stones so i can continue to learn and hopefully make a sound judgement on my final buy.

lastly, happy new year to all

Both stones "look reasonable" on paper, although they probably will look different from each other.

One question is whether you want to pay a premium of 20-25% for a VS stone if the SI one(s) is eye clean.

I think you've taken the numbers as far as they can go. The next step is to look at the stones or have someone you trust look at them.

Photos, measurement of light performance, AND Vendor Review of the diamond(s) is a minimum that I would insist on seeing if I were a consumer and not able to see the diamonds in person.

Hi,

Thks for the advices so far, these stones i wish to buy was wht i orginally searched through in one of the online website i plan to buy the diamond from. Just spoken to the service rep from the company and they had responsed to me by recommending another stone as compared to mine.

Stone 1 is recommended by the seller and stone 2 was one of the 'better' stone i thought i had selected based on certain stats i had read from the internet. I do understand tht nothing beats seeing the stone to make the best judgement. Primarily at this moment i just trying to weed out the stones based on stats n recommendation from sellers and finally maybe compare just 2 stones prior to committing.

Again thks for the valuable advices given. Appreciate it. feel free to comment on the above stones so i can continue to learn and hopefully make a sound judgement on my final buy.

lastly, happy new year to all

You're welcome Honrix!

The way the sales rep answered you sounds purposefully ambiguous- in other words, it sounds like he's answering as if he knows what the diamond looks like, when he's only using stats.

I'm reminded of the old saying......A nod is as good as a wink to a blind man