Diamonds Shapes & Cuts

diamond_cathcer

The most popular of all cuts the brilliant in its Ideal proportions is designed to give maximum scintillation, beauty and fire. It is comprised of 58 facets; the Brilliant cut follows more naturally the rough diamond crystal shape, and thus is most popular for cutting due to the beauty it returns, please see proportions for a complete explanation of why proportions for a round brilliant are so important for beauty and price.

The princess is one of the most popular fancy diamond shapes. The proportions are considered better the more square the stone is cut, with exact 90 degree internal angle on each corner; princess cut diamonds can also be slightly rectangle in shape.

Optimum Shape is: Length to Width ratio 1:1

Acceptable are: Length to Width ratio 1-1.4:1

The oval cut is also a particularly beautiful shape and if well proportioned gives great scintillation and fire. A well cut oval diamond can be almost as bright as a well cut Brilliant or round shaped diamond as the angles for cutting are closer to that of a brilliant cut diamond.

Optimum Shape is: Length to Width ratio 1.5:1.

Acceptable are: Length to Width ratio 1.5-1.75:1

Trilliant Cut: The shape is like a triangle top view.

One of the more unusual cuts the trilliant displays a very sharp brilliance or fire if the diamond is cut to the correct depth allowing good scintillation. Excellent for Shoulder diamonds accompany a square or rectangular shaped diamond.

Optimum Shape: Length to Width ratio 1:1.

Acceptable are: Length to Width ratio 1:1

Pear Cut: The Shape is Pear top view.

The pear is another popular fancy cut it uses the base of a brilliant or round cut and extends it self to point , if well proportioned it gives a depth of scintillation to the point of the stone. A benefit in design if a longer look is required.

Optimum Shape: Length to Width ratio 1.5:1.

Acceptable are: Length to Width ratio 1.5-1.7:1

The Radiant can either be cut as a square or rectangle. The Radiant has a strong look with a unique type sparkle, differing from Emerald and Princess Cuts.

Optimum Shape; For Square Length to Width ratio 1:1.

Acceptable are; For Rectangle Length to Width ratio 1.5:1

This unique shape has been popular for more than a century. Cushion-cut diamonds (also known as "pillow-cut" diamonds) have rounded corners and larger facets to increase their brilliance.

Optimum Shape: Length to Width ratio 1.0:1.

Acceptable are: Length to Width ratio 1.0.-1.5:1

Coming from the French bread stick. The Baguette may be Cut long or more emerald shaped in proportions. As a main stone the proportions should be more like a rectangle shape. The Baguette is for those people who want a long stone, usually used are small baguettes to accompany different shaped diamonds. Unusual in Larger sizes.

Optimum Shape: Length to Width ratio 1.5:1.

Acceptable are: Length to Width ratio 1.5.-2.5:1

Joseph Asscher was an eminent diamond cutter who cut the 3,106 carat Cullinan diamond. Asscher worked in Amsterdam. In 1902, his company, the Asscher Diamond Co., developed and patented the Asscher cut, a squarish step cut with an almost octagonal outline. This new cut enhanced the fire and light of the stone; it had a small table, a high crown, wide step facets, a deep pavilion and square culet. This cut became very popular in Art Deco jewelry and was a forerunner of the emerald cut. Recently, the Royal Asscher Diamond Co. resumed production of the original Asscher cut diamonds.

Optimum Shape is: Length to Width ratio 1:1

Acceptable are: Length to Width ratio 1-1.4:1

Hi,

All due respect, but charts offering these type of "stats" are ridiculous. Who are you ( or whoever created the "Optimum"Shape" ) to tell people what shape they like?

Any of the "charts" purporting to have answers to the questions of which Fancy Shaped diamond is well cut is full of ...crud.

I'd suggest you read through a lot of the conversations here on the forum to see what I'm talking about.

...I agree, and if some weeney comes in and asks me what the cut ratio is on some diamond I am showing him, I am going to tell him I don't know, don't care, it's all in the GIA report. Do you want this diamond or not?

..okay, I won't... I'll smile and pull up the report, but you know what I'll be thinking.

Terry

AJP (GIA)

Hi,

All due respect, but charts offering these type of "stats" are ridiculous. Who are you ( or whoever created the "Optimum"Shape" ) to tell people what shape they like?

Any of the "charts" purporting to have answers to the questions of which Fancy Shaped diamond is well cut is full of ...crud.

I'd suggest you read through a lot of the conversations here on the forum to see what I'm talking about.

Sounds about right to me. I recently wrote a post and asked everyone what was considered to be ideal for each individual cut when looking at every single measurement, angle, table etc. What I got was that GIA has an ideal grade for the round brilliant but other than that you are opening a can of worms. There are just to many variables for one person or company to say what is perfect. The problem is everyone has different taste and that can not be accounted for in any report like this. This report is only the opinion of whom ever wrote it and thats it.

Hi,

Sounds about right to me. I recently wrote a post and asked everyone what was considered to be ideal for each individual cut when looking at every single measurement, angle, table etc. What I got was that GIA has an ideal grade for the round brilliant but other than that you are opening a can of worms. There are just to many variables for one person or company to say what is perfect. The problem is everyone has different taste and that can not be accounted for in any report like this. This report is only the opinion of whom ever wrote it and thats it.

Here read this post. It went way over my head but listening to everyone debate gives you a very good idea of why things are not so black and white so to speak.

http://www.diamond.info/forum/index.php?showtopic=4650