Help Me Decide Between 2 Stones

tekniec

I am trying to decide between two GIA certified stones.

Stone 1

1.00 ct, D, VS2, Good Cut, Excellent Polish, VG Symmetry, Faint Fl.

Stone 2

1.08 ct, E, VS2, Excellent Cut, Polish and Symmetry, No Fl.

The only major downside is that Stone 2 has a little inclusion on the top face, which can be seen from the side, looking very closely. I know it’s hard to really judge without seeing them for yourself. I am assuming it could be hidden by the prongs.

The 1st stone I purchased from Bluenile, but can still return, the 2nd is from the local dealer, who's obviously more interested in selling me his own, and is discounting the setting about $300, if I go with his.

After all said and done, Stone 1 would only be $200 more.

So which stone do you feel is a better buy, for the most part generally, however I’m sure resale should be considered as well.

Thank you very much in advance.

In the current market, resale is difficult in the best of circumstances but GIA 'Good' cut will be seen by your prospective buyers as a problem. See if you can figure out why it got this grade. Excellent to good is a big jump and E-D not so much. May I ask why you are considering this?

Neil

The only reason I am reconsidering, is if having a D color stone without that small blemish is worth having over the E color stone, that’s better cut, bigger and cheaper.

To be honest i am very happy with the E Stone, but as you can imagine, some sales people could be pretty pushy, and while I didn’t let them get to me too much, I was wondering if there was any truth to what they were saying about their D color stone being an "over all" better stone.

I'm not convinced. I presume by the VS2 clarity grade that the inclusion that you're concerned about is not visible without magnification (from the faceup position)? Since you've got #2 in your posession, have you compared it side by side in the store under identical lighting? What did your eyes tell you?

Neil

I'm not convinced. I presume by the VS2 clarity grade that the inclusion that you're concerned about is not visible without magnification (from the faceup position)? Since you've got #2 in your posession, have you compared it side by side in the store under identical lighting? What did your eyes tell you?

Neil

(From the face up position) I would definetily go with the E color stone, as the inclusion even under magnification is barely visible. However, when put on their sides on a white piece of paper side by side, from close up, even without magnification, I am able to see the inclusion. And I suppose that is where the doubt set in.

By the way, thank you for taking the time out to discuss this with me.

Edited by tekniec

Given that once you have set them they will not ever be looked at in that way (from the side against a white sheet of paper), I think the question Neil was getting at is: which one do you like best? One (typically) buys a diamond because it sparkles and shines, not because it's transparent. Lead crystal is much better at that, and considerably cheaper, even when branded Swarowski.

Which one is more lively and catches your eye more in different lighting conditions? Don't just look at them in store under spotlights, take them out (if possible) or at least in the backroom of the store under flat/diffused lighting.

Edited by davidelevi

Given that once you have set them they will not ever be looked at in that way (from the side against a white sheet of paper), I think the question Neil was getting at is: which one do you like best? One (typically) buys a diamond because it sparkles and shines, not because it's transparent. Lead crystal is much better at that, and considerably cheaper, even when branded Swarowski.

Which one is more lively and catches your eye more in different lighting conditions? Don't just look at them in store under spotlights, take them out (if possible) or at least in the backroom of the store under flat/diffused lighting.

Well, if that inlcusion wasnt there there would be no discussion. So I think the stone I have in my possesion will be the one. I think the one with the better cut at the end of the day will look better.

Thank you everyone for your opinions. I know she will love this stone, or any for that matter.