Is This Ring From Amazon Ok?

WriterWriter

Hi folks,

I've been browsing this site for a while and hope I could get some advice.

I'd like to buy a ring off Amazon. I really don't have a lot of cash and was happy to see they have a sale on this ring.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UUI5G..._rd_i=370604011

It is discounted already BUT at the cash there's another 40% off.

My girlfriend is not materialistic at all. Just the fact that it's a diamond will thrill her. My question to you is basically, will this ring look nice or will it look very cheap? I think it will be great.

Thanks!

Dave

So the net deal is $372 for an otherwise unspecified 1/3ct I/I-1 round set in a 14k solitaire, right? That's a reasonable enough price but I wouldn't say it's a steal. The 'original' price is decidedly high for an online source and the 'list' price, whatever that means, is ridiculous. There's really no way to tell you much about the merits or demerits of your particular stone because they simply aren't providing the information but Amazon has an agreeable return policy if you decide you're unhappy so the risk is fairly low (shipping and some wasted time). Will it be pretty? Probably.

Neil

Hi Neil,

I'm sorry but I don't understand. I've been trying to learn about diamonds this last week on the net and on this site and I picked out this ring based on the info that Amazon supplied. Maybe it's not enough? It says the diamond is 1/3ct with H-I color and SI2-I1 clarity? Isn't that enough information? What more do I need from them?

I think the reason I like the price is that I headed down to one of the city's more reputable jewelers today to compare. They showed me a .23ct stone at slightly higher brilliance, in a 12K setting for about $550. But this was an "estate sale" ring or "previously enjoyed" as they put it. They put the MRP at 1100.

Arghgh!

Thanks for the help!

-Dave

HI Writerwriter- congatulations on your engagement!

I'd be extremely cautious about putting any stock in "original list price" when it's exponentially higher than the price the seller is actually asking.

I feel that it's a deceptive means of advertising, and this is a perfect example of why.

Same thing for "appraidsed Value" when advertised by a seller.

Amazon's description is purposfully vague.

Kind of like saying " I live in New York, or Philladeplphia, or Boston"

I think it’s reasonable to expect that H-I means I. Similarly, I would take SI2-I1 to mean I1. They could just as easily say that it’s D-I and VVS2-I1 but it doesn’t change the stone one bit. It is what it is and if it were a D/VVS1, that’s what they would have called it.

Unfortunately it’s a little difficult to do online shopping for stones in this price range because the online dealers are targeted towards ‘certified’ goods and the lab fees per stone are high enough that it doesn’t really make sense. The big sellers in this category are the mass merchandisers like Walmart, Target and Amazon and although there’s not a darned thing wrong with buying from these folks but it’s only fair to be comparing one against the other, not against stores that specialize in completely different things that are 10x the price.

Neil

I don't want to put a damper on your choice but I think the diamond probably won't be that nice of a stone. It doesn't have a lab report, and the grades are split so figure it is at least the lower grade and for the price, I think it is even a lower grade than their listing or they would have a lab report with it.

I would say to save up a little more, or just buy a solitaire mounting with a CZ in it. It would probably be prettier.

When you do decide to give her that special ring, look for a company that can give you an upgrade policy in the future. I would also suggest going with a better quality diamond to show her just how special she is to you.

I am not an expert, but I feel that it is really important to see a ring in person or to have a good return policy which Neil mentioned. If there isn't one then I wouldn't recommend buying online from anyone without one. Even sellers with good reputations can make mistakes or your expectations may be different. Whitehall Jewelers is going out of business, and you might find some good deals there. I got an anniversary ring from Littman's Jewelers clarity l2;1 carat ;3 stone diamond for $399 with a chance to upgrade, but I saw it in person first.

Paws

Edited by paws

Hi,

I have looked around locally but I haven't seen anything in my price range.

When you say it won't be a nice-looking stone, what do you mean exactly? It won't sparkle? It will have problems?

We aren't the type of people to own diamonds or jewelery. She would be happy with a 20 dollar ring from K-mart but I thought she should have a diamond. That said, this is really all I can afford right now.

I just don't want to get something all scratched up and looking terrible. Something small and simple is fine. I hope that sounds OK.

Thanks!

Dave

There’s nothing wrong with buying an inexpensive ring if that’s what your budget supports, there’s nothing wrong with an I/I-1 and it shows sound judgment to set a budget and stick with it. It almost certainly will have eye visible inclusions if you inspect it carefully but we do NOT know that it won’t sparkle and I think there’s a pretty good chance that it will. Most diamonds are actually pretty cool little doodads and $400 is a lot of money. Amazon is a reputable company and they will happily take it back if you’re dissatisfied for any reason. If you can’t find a competitive local source for whatever reason, I say buy it.

Neil

Hi Writer By that very vague description no telling really what the quality will be. Amazon lists items from many different sellers and takes a cut for promoting these goods under their site. That description / grading is probably from the original supplier and without a respected lab report the grading can be off, and there is no identification as to if that is the stone being represented.

Now if you really want the real deal we can offer you a .30ct I1 H round brilliant cut graded by GIA with a Verygood cut grade, laser inscribed with the GIA report number, in the Six prong 14kt solitaire for $450.

Hey all,

I think I see a pattern. The people who own stores/sell diamonds are trying to scare me. Others are supportive.

Thanks Neil! Decision has been made. I'm buying it.

Glad I came here!

Dave

You're welcome. Let us know how it looks when you get it.

Congratulations on your engagement.

Neil

I don't think anyone was trying to scare you. Just telling you that stones without lab reports and split grades are generally not really accurately graded or otherwise they would have a lab report. If getting the quality that you are paying for is not really a matter of importance to you then that is o.k. as well.

Amazon isn't really the vendor, They are just a place for others to list their goods and give a commission.

Good luck on your purchase, hope it turns out to be what you really got.

Having never really checked out Amazon, I am guilty of making assumptions.

Thank you Jan and Brad for clearing up how Amazon is selling.

Writerwriter- I really don't think that's a fair categorization.

I buy all kinds of stuff at Costco ( I guess similar in some ways to Amazon)- but I still feel that a diamond purchase is a more personal thing- one where knowing the merchant takes on added importance.

Generally, we are discussing more costly diamonds-but thisone is important to you, and justly so. You did come asking, and got honest answers. This is not to scare you, but there are a lot of crappy diamonds out there. Not a guarantee it will be bad looking, but inflated asking prices, and split grades does indicate a problem with the representation. That only increases the chances that inferior cut, or dull stones might be used.

I really do hope it works well for you.

Edited by diamondsbylauren

WriterWriter, I don't think they were trying to scare you or push you to buy their items. I think it was more that you mentioned concern about the sparkle and looking cheap, so it was put on the table that someone else could offer you a ring in the same price range. They could probably email you pictures so you could see it..it's hard to tell what jewelry looks like from stock pictures on the computer screen.