Flaw Found

quirky

I just got engaged a few days ago and loved the ring. However, I was just looking at my diamond while sitting in my car and found a flaw that now I can't help but notice. Do I tell my fiance? I don't want to make him feel bad but I feel like he should know it's there in case he got ripped off.

I would lose the word 'flaw' from the discussion but if you're going to bring it up you should do it soon. Many jewelers have a return period of anywhere from a few days to a month or so where you can swap out the stone for a different one for whatever reason you might have and if this is the case, the clock is ticking. He may be able to do something about it if bugs you and if you act quickly and he may not in a few weeks.

Are you sure it isn't just dirt?

Neil

I agree with Jan and Neil...

I have spoken to so many ladies who've been stuck for many years with a ring they did not like..

I'm sure you can think of a delicate way to broach the subject.

I would try and avoid something like this

"Hey Lug-Head, didn't you see the huge booger in this diamond?"

Seriously, it does make sense, if you can find a way to gently let him know, to do it ASAP....

Hi Mikeyman,

Are you a consumer?

If so why do you have a link to a website on your signature.

After just a quick look I see things on that site which are questionable.

If you are affiliated with the site, and pretending you're a consumer, that's deceptive.

If you are a consumer, there's a lot of things in the site which raise questions.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Mikeyman,

Are you a consumer?

If you are affiliated with the site, and pretending you're a consumer, that's deceptive.

If you are a consumer, there's a lot of things in the site which raise questions.

is this a competition question, are you afraid of competition, no I just bought my rings there, why i should not put a link there, it si not even a link in fact

why do you have a link to your site then, omg

Because there are rules about how this forum works. Signatures are not supposed to advertise - which is what your signature is doing. However trade members are requested to clearly identify themselves as such, and should include their company's name in the signature.

See http://www.diamond.info/forum/index.php?act=boardrules paragraph 5

Hi Mikeyman,

Are you a consumer?

is this a competition question, are you afraid of competition, no I just bought my rings there, why i should not put a link there, it si not even a link in fact

Hi Mikey,

I suppose you could call it a competition thing but it’s more a matter of being clear about where we all are coming from when we give advice to others. David is selling diamonds. I’m selling advice. Hermann is selling advertising. There’s nothing wrong with any of these things but they are importantly different positions and they are all quite different from a happy shopper or from someone seeking advice and it’s entirely appropriate and even necessary to ask about that difference since you haven't volunteered it. You’ve chosen to promote a particular store in the footer of every post, just like David and I do. That clearly aligns you with that particular store and it’s entirely reasonable to ask about your connection.

If you're any sort of official representative of the store, you are required by the rules to register with Hermann as such. There's no fee unless you want to participate in the diamond database. That's the way you get the little 'verified jeweler' box that you see under David's name. If you're NOT affiliated with the store, the rules forbid you to have an advertisement in your signature.

Neil

Hi Mikeyman,

Are you a consumer?

Hi Mikey,

Let's assume you don't actually work for the site in question....

You might not realize how much effort goes into selling online. Such pressure leads some sellers to act in deceptive ways.

We have never tried to hide who we are, or why we post ( a combination of the fact it's fun, and also that we may have people call US for a diamond based on our posts)

It's that second possibility that has led many merchants to try and "fool" the readers by claiming to be a consumer when in fact, they are just writing about themselves.

We've seen glowing praise about a seller, only to find out it was the seller heaping such praise upon them self.

Since you have brought the site in question into the conversation, I'd suggest you do a little shopping around.

There's a whole lot wrong with the site you've aligned yourself with.,

If you just want to search on online database, the one here- or even Blue Nile- is way better.

The site you're pushing uses stock photos, but they are not honest enough to publish that fact.

They even allow you to look at a larger image, never once mentioning the fact it's not a picture of whatever it is they are selling.

They throw around the term "certified" which is misleading- and are offering non GIA reports as though there is parity between EGL and GIA.

I'd really suggest you do some shopping around!

Mikey,

I took a few minutes to check out your friends and see what they have to offer. I looked up a fairly mainstream stone to see how it compared.

This stone seems to be available at a variety of the usual suspects who advertise here and elsewhere and they are all asking within a few percent range right around $6000 for it. (I don't know how to link to a search results page but you can look them up yourself with the 'find online jeweler' button at the top of the page). Your guys want $7885 for it here . They're describing this as roughly a $2000 discount and ‘true wholesale pricing’ (their phrase, not mine), where they cut out all of those middlemen and pass the savings on to you. Can you explain this to me? I'm certainly ok with the idea that some stores deliver a better bundle and will charge more for it but this doesn't seem to be the case here. These folks seem to be basing their whole pitch on low low prices.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser