Comparing Like Stones

nickj

I recently purchased a 1.00 carat princess cut diamond solitaire (I1 clarity, H color) from Sam's Club for $3000. I went back a couple days later and found they had a replacement in the display. The new stone was .97 carats, (SI1 clarity, I color) for the same price. The kicker is that it showed an IGI Appraisal Value $1800 higher than the stone I purchased. They both look good in my opinion. Sam's Club has a really good return policy. Based on these specs should I return my ring and purchase the ring that seems to be superior? Any advice would be much appreciated as I am new to the diamond game.

Thanks

I recently purchased a 1.00 carat princess cut diamond solitaire (I1 clarity, H color) from Sam's Club for $3000. I went back a couple days later and found they had a replacement in the display. The new stone was .97 carats, (SI1 clarity, I color) for the same price. The kicker is that it showed an IGI Appraisal Value $1800 higher than the stone I purchased. They both look good in my opinion. Sam's Club has a really good return policy. Based on these specs should I return my ring and purchase the ring that seems to be superior? Any advice would be much appreciated as I am new to the diamond game.

Thanks

Nickj ,

I would take the SI-1 I 0.97 carat. as long as the cutting proportions are the same.

Arthur DeMello GG (GIA), USPAP

Independent Appraiser

http://www.nationalgemologicallaboratory.com

Hi nickj,

There are several answers that could apply to your question...however I want to answer you as specifically as possible. In my opinion, if you are happy with your diamond, and you don't see a visual difference between the two, it comes down to personal preference. You need to pick the one you like and the one you feel the most comfortable with.

I don't personally feel that you are getting the best deal, and I am confident that Sam's is not offering the best quality product, but what matters most is that you are happy with the purchase.

If you are looking for guidance between these two stones, really there is not enough information to make an intelligent recommendation. It really comes down to which diamond do you like more and feel better about. In the end it is your money, and above all, you want to make sure that you are happy with what you purchased. I am sure you will make the right decision.

All the best!

Tim A.

Emma Parker & Co.

www.emmaparkerdiamonds.com

Edited by Emma Parker & Co.

‘Appraised value’ is NOT a sensible way of evaluating a stone for purchase. I guess it depends on what you mean by ‘value’ but since you already know that the cost in an arms length transaction between a willing buyer and willing seller is significantly less than what IGI says it’s ‘worth’, this is obviously isn’t what they mean by their value conclusion and if that’s not what their value means, what IS it?

Neil