What Might My Wholesale Value Be? Retail $4,000.

crystalfresh

I’m not understanding your question, and I’m going to guess that you don’t either. What do you mean by ‘wholesale’? The price that dealers pay amongst themselves? This will vary by more than a factor of two depending on details between the dealers like the amount of business being done over time, creditworthiness, eagerness to buy or sell, etc. Diamonds aren’t like a lot of other products where there are case lots available and there’s an established price for quantity buyers. There’s another factor of 2 variation that will come from cut quality, documentation provided, condition and the like.

The same issue applies to ‘retail’ pricing because the selection of marketplace is such an important topic and this begs the question where you got your retail pricing figures that you’re using as a benchmark?

Neil

I am trying to sell my diamonds as a "consumer" for cash.

Good point!!!

"where you got your retail pricing figures?"

=>A website called BlueNile. I roughly avgeraged their web retail prices.

What could I expect to Sell as a "Consumer" to a Diamond Dealer or Wholesaler for cash?

Assuming they were as stated exactly.

1x) 1/4 ct. (S2-H Good)

2x) 1/5 ct. (S1-H Good)

11x) 1/5 ct. (I1-H Good)

5x) 1/5 ct. (I1-I Good)

If I had to guess I'm thinking in the range of $3 per point. (1/4 ct = $75) (1/5 ct = $60)

Is $3 per point for S1 to I1, color=H , good to vgood cut a reasonable price to get? Too high, too low? Maybe they are only worth $1.50 per point. This is what I am trying to find out.

Now I am looking to sell a bag of diamonds by walking in to a jewelry shop, ect... I just wanted an idea of the avg "consumer selling value" roughly before I tried to sell them so I don't get too badly ripped off. B)

I figured if they offer me $200 I am getting ripped off. And if I got $2,000 I'm hitting the lottery... But where I fall in between no clue?? Hoping to get a better idea.

I’m glad I asked. ‘Wholesale’ is definitely not a word I would use to describe the consumer-to-dealer cash resale marketplace.

I forgot an important question: What’s your source for the weight, cut, color and clarity grading information?

I wasn’t aware that Blue Nile sold undocumented I1’s at all so I’m also curious how you found prices to average.

It’s a little hard to estimate what you could expect a dealer to pay without knowing more about the stones. Given your descriptions are correct, which frankly is questionable, I would expect the dealers around here (Denver) to be offering something like $100/ct or possibly less for what you describe. Even at that it may be difficult to find a taker as most of the jewelers are feeling the pinch right now and aren't buying much, especially when the payment terms are cash upfront, and the diamond pros are looking for bigger and higher quality merchandise.

Neil

Thank you.

Blue Nile had only cert diamonds of slightly better quality that I found. I needed something to compare my stones to and that was the best I came up with. I have been shopping for an engagement ring and have seen very many stones in local stores of all qualities with certs from GIA and AGS and felt I could do an estimate of the stones I had now using what I have learned. If stones were graded from 1-10 I know mine are somewhere in the middle. I also know that can affect a price quite a bit, but with the smaller stones the differences are much less.

I just wanted a very rough idea. So it sounds like maybe $350 area for these 19 rocks combined. In that case I might take the economy in to question and see if I can't do more in trade for my engagement stone where the jewelers won't have to produce cash, just trade for current inventory.

Ok sounds like $1,000 would be out of the question. This is what I wanted to know. Thank you. I will do my best to find a jeweler that has the 1/2 carat stone I am hunting for and then try to trade against it. B) Thank you again.

The amount that a dealer will provide as a credit in a trade will depend on a few other factors, most notably what you are trading you for. Often they’ll give you more on a trade than they would pay you in cash but you need to be careful of hidden markups on the other side of the deal. Some won’t do it at all.

You did the grading yourself? Not to sound rude but do you know what you’re doing? As I'm sure you know from your research, the difference between an SI1 to an I1 or an H to a J is a big deal.

At the end of this deal, what is it you’re looking for?

Neil

I have an idea what my stones are worth now, even if better quality the difference won't be that much since they are so small.

I am looking to buy this stone below sooner or later.

Cert - GIA

Clarity - VS2

Cut - Very good

Color - H

Size - 1/2 ct.

I shopped around and found I could find something like this with GIA cert in the area for $750-$900 so far.

Is this a great deal or can I still do much better? Thanks. I'm scared to shop in malls now. They wanted over $2,000 for something like this.

That's on the cheap side, which can be a red flag by itself but if '1/2 carat' includes stones below 0.50ct. you can probably find something online although I doubt you'll find anyone who will take a trade in at that price. Post the details from the report here and the Gurus may be able to give you a better idea about a particular stone you're considering.

Neil

• 3 weeks later...

Update. I sold my small batch of stones (smaller than 0.25 each) for $265/carat.

I also bought a small diamond ring for my girlfriend and just now noticed one small 1/5 ct. stone has a hair crack from prong to prong through the center top. That can't be good. Large dept store so I don't suspect a problem exchanging/fixing it if needed. Glad I just looped it to get a good look. How serious are these hair cracks? Do diamonds just split in half like scoring glass?

Diamonds will cleave (ie split) if hit at the right angle; it's also possible to chip/crack them when setting, but they are much harder to break or damage than glass. The question is whether the hairline you are seeing is a polish defect, a feather inside the stone - possibly reaching the surface, or a "true" crack. Can you manage to see the underside of the stone? How does the line show up from there?

Can't see it from the bottom but can see it from the top and the side. It starts exactly where the prong touches and about 1mm deep in straight across up and over the stone to the other side, back down to the other top facet and stops there about the depth where it began on the other side seen under 10x power.

Just strange how it starts exactly at the prongs contact point. It's a tension setting not a folded prong. Just a straight prong with a little groove to hold the stone in place. 4 tension prongs.

It doesn't affect the beauty of the stone, just worried it will crack. I can feel it when moving a soft metal pin point over it if that helps. It catches the pin tip like a minute groove. This goes across the face of the diamond. Can't see it with the human eye, only under 5 or 10 power with a light reflecting on it.

From the sound of what you describe, it's an "open imperfection" running along the table of the diamond. This is not a great thing, but it might not be bad enough to return the diamond.

Remember that when a diamond is polished( cut) it's subjected to remarkable stresses. That's not to say you can't break one subsequently but only that it's unlikely a light tap will break it.

BTW- you did very well selling small "break out" diamonds for $265 per carat if it was paid in cash.

If it was a merchandise swap, it's a slightly different story.