Big Diamonds. Need Help!!!

3265christine

I would like as my engagment ring a 2ct or little smaller. Must be bigger then 1.5ct Princess cut solitare ring.

Now my questions is a know that will be vary expensive. What is the lowest grades of the 4'c Can I do with out making it look bad to the human eye. (You hopefully know what I mean) Cost??? Can this be done for 10,000-12,000????

Also I would like to purchuse my ring in The Carribean is this bad choice. (Duty free, no tax) or on board a the curise that I will be on in Jan. What do you think about that?

I am new to this. All the help I can get will be great. Also I looked at the lab diamonds I DO NOT Care if it lab created but I can not seam to find any that are white and that large Can someone help me with this. This option would be my first choice, If I can get it. Thanks

Hi Christine,

I'm not familiar with anything but natural diamonds, so I'll address that part of your question.

There's no hard and fast answer to your question.

Some people don;t mind a slight tint in the diamond- or a bit of imperfection.

If you can tolerate both of those, you should be able to get a lovely stone of 2 carats.

One deal breaker for me: Make sure you don't sacrifice cut.

How can you do that?

I'd say you want to really choose where you buy it carefully.

I love the Caribbean myself.

Lovely islands, amazing beaches.

it's even possible to get a nice diamond there.

BUT- if you're already here looking yo might be able to buy under more favorable circumstances.

In terms of tax, you are bound to declare the item when you return to the US.

If you purchase online from a vendor in a different state than you reside, the same situation exists.

The seller does not collect sales tax, but there may be a law saying you need to declare it where you live.

Do many people actually declare this type of purchase?

Probably not.

But it puts online and in the same position as the Caribbean on that particular point.

The reason I say the islands present a less favorable circumstance is that you're not going to be able to really check out the seller in the few hours you're in port.

If the ship is recommending a seller, they are paid for the endorsement.

If you search around online, you may find vendors you are comfortable with. Then you can make a more considered purchase.

Hi Christine,

I agree with diamondsbylauren. When buying online you can choose from a vast amount of trusted vendors and can find much more options than in a shop, because you can compare diamonds online easily - the competition makes the prices much more attractive.

About your budget - you can get a beautiful stone for your budget - No meter where you buy get a certified one, GIA, AGS, EGL will ensure you get a genuine diamond.

Before you decide on the certificate, cut, clarity and color i recommend to do some reading, do a little research online so you'll know what each characteristics means and decide what your personal preferences are.

I'm not so sure what you meant in your post about lab created diamonds - do you mean CZ or maybe clarity enhanced?

Edited by DiamondExpro

I’m not sure why people seem to believe that the Caribbean is a good place to buy diamonds. It’s true that jewelry is a good souvenir of a trip to a wonderful place, it’s easy to pack, it’s not very perishable and most people have more shopping time and are more in a mood to spend money on vacation than during their ‘regular’ lives but it’s simply not correct to expect either better merchandise or better prices in a tourist destination. Almost always the opposite is true. For starters, there is no import duty on diamonds in the US so the only tax being missed by going ‘duty free’ is your local sales tax, which you may still need to pay when you get home depending on which state you live in. Even this isn’t entirely correct because the merchants are paying taxes to their local communities, which is part of why they’re such nice places, and these taxes are in part based on your purchases. Call it what you want and part of their marketing plan is to not separately list this on the invoice, but the cost is built into the prices every bit as much as the insurance and the rent.

There’s a lot to said for buying close to home, or at least in your home country. The benefit of going local is that you can shop at a much more leisurely pace where it’s easy to visit the store several times and there’s a certain personal interaction that’s nice. This, of course, depends on the merits of your local merchants and some places have a pretty sparse selection but if there’s a good jeweler in your town, pay them a visit and see what they have to offer before you just assume that some cruise port is a better deal. The next level is to stick within your country. This has the benefit of involving laws that you’re familiar with. If there’s a problem, and there’s a problem more often than you think, do you really want to be dealing with an overseas operation when you work it out?

Your budget is no problem. Actually, it’s your approach that I fear is going to lead you astray. It’s likely you are going to be in the SI1-SI2 clarity range and the H/I color range, which are right on two of the boundaries of what most people find acceptable. The difference between SI2 and I1 is a huge deal, as is the difference between I & J. Your going to find yourself in the position of relying entirely on the seller to make this call, and most sellers are going to point at a report from some lab that you should be relying on.

For example:

Here’s a GIA graded 1.73/I1/I offered in the database above titled ‘find online jeweler’ for $4,350.

http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamonds/diamo...a22379a73ac764#

Here’s a GIA/1.70/SI2/I for $7445.

http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamonds/diamo...9a22379a73ac764

What’s the difference that makes one almost twice the price of the other? There’s sure to be some cutting topics and we don’t know enough about either stone to address that but the obvious thing is the SI2/I1, right?

So how about this one from the same guys? EGL/1.62/SI2/I for $4507?

http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamonds/diamo...9a22379a73ac764

Is it a bargain or a trap? How do you know? Again there are some things we can’t tell but the obvious difference here is EGL/GIA and $3000 in the price.

I don’t point this out to scare you or to either promote or endorse the folks at Union Diamond (I chose them as the sample dealer for the above examples purely because their data is easy to get. They’re a fine company but I’m not recommending for or against ANY of these stones) but to highlight the REAL question. The difference between a $4,500 diamond and a $10,000 diamond is far more subtle than most people think and it’s worth making a plan in advance of a big purchase like this to decide how you are going to proceed.

You’ll find that the advisors here all come from different perspectives on how to approach this. The dealers, naturally, would like you to buy from them and to rely on their expertise and I put more value on independent 3rd party expertise but you’ll notice some real similarities in what we all have to say. Your first line of defense is the trust you are placing in your dealer and choosing your dealer first can save you an enormous amount of trouble. They are not all the same and the lab and the appraiser are support or perhaps rebuttals for this confidence, not substitutes for it. The deal shouldn’t be done until you are happy, and that includes giving you the opportunity to take it home, show it to your friends, your appraiser or your astrologer and to get a refund if you decide it isn’t the one for you (note, I said REFUND, not exchange). Watch out for high pressure sales. Don’t forget to use your eyes. A good price on the wrong thing is no bargain.

Neil

Neil, the vendor you mentioned does not have the diamonds on site making buying an I1 an extremely risky purchase.

It's important to point out that many ( if not most) of the "database" sellers have no idea what the diamond they are selling looks like.

We know this is crucial because you can look at two diamonds graded I1, and one might be identical visually to a flawless, while the other has imperfection clearly visible.

To the person who recommended EGL "certified" diamonds: Dealers themselves do not trust the grades on EGL reports, so I would strongly suggest not trusting the grades on EGL reports, OR dealers who propose that one should.

If all you want is a genuine diamond, then the report does assure that, but if someone is spending $10,000, I'd think they want more info than knowing it;s not a fake.

I would like as my engagment ring a 2ct or little smaller. Must be bigger then 1.5ct Princess cut solitare ring.

Now my questions is a know that will be vary expensive. What is the lowest grades of the 4'c Can I do with out making it look bad to the human eye. (You hopefully know what I mean) Cost??? Can this be done for 10,000-12,000????

Also I would like to purchuse my ring in The Carribean is this bad choice. (Duty free, no tax) or on board a the curise that I will be on in Jan. What do you think about that?

I am new to this. All the help I can get will be great. Also I looked at the lab diamonds I DO NOT Care if it lab created but I can not seam to find any that are white and that large Can someone help me with this. This option would be my first choice, If I can get it. Thanks

In your budget, you can definitely get a really nice princess cut diamond along with a GIA lab report and very well cut. For example, we currently have a 1.70 ct. VVS2 I that runs $10750. If you paid cash versus a credit card you get a 2% discount.

So you wouldn't have to settle for something graded by EGL or IGI or buy sight unseen or get a highly included diamond.

post-10-1228147796_thumb.jpgpost-10-1228147806_thumb.jpgpost-10-1228147821_thumb.jpgpost-10-1228147831_thumb.jpg

Edited by jan

Neil, the vendor you mentioned does not have the diamonds on site making buying an I1 an extremely risky purchase.

It's important to point out that many ( if not most) of the "database" sellers have no idea what the diamond they are selling looks like.

We know this is crucial because you can look at two diamonds graded I1, and one might be identical visually to a flawless, while the other has imperfection clearly visible.

To the person who recommended EGL "certified" diamonds: Dealers themselves do not trust the grades on EGL reports, so I would strongly suggest not trusting the grades on EGL reports, OR dealers who propose that one should.

If all you want is a genuine diamond, then the report does assure that, but if someone is spending $10,000, I'd think they want more info than knowing it;s not a fake.

I agree. And I’m not recommending anyone consider a purchase of ANY of those diamonds without further information, including both a personal and an expert inspection. That said, we know quite a bit more beyond the fact that they aren’t fake. GIA called it an I-1/I. We don’t know why and I agree that it’s important but this attribute (the fact that GIA called it a particular grade) is a huge element in setting the price. If another lab, say EGL, were to call that same stone an SI-2/H (which is not at all out of the question), it wouldn’t change the stone one bit, but it might change the price and it might change the way shoppers perceive it. More insidiously, it would change which stones they consider to be comparable in deciding what’s a good deal and what’s not.

Neil

Thanks everyone for your help. I am so confused. I really do not know much on diamonds.

I prefer a bigger diamond that may not be perfect. But you would not be able to tell when looking at it.

Thank you for your help I do live in Canada not the U.S.

Can anyone recommend then something or some where to go. (Ontario, Canada).

I am not purchasing my finance is. This has to be bought shipped or picked up and on my finger by January 31st. :lol:

I'm with you Christine.

We carry a lot of I1 diamonds because we can pick them out by eye, from our cutters.

As was mentioned here, the fact that GIA grades a diamond I1 means it will cost a LOT less than say, a diamond graded VVs- like the one Jan is pushing.

We find a lot of people who feel like you- why pay for a VVS if you can buy a much larger diamond with non detrimental imperfections?

To give you an idea, both of the pear shape diamonds below are I1's as graded by GIA.

r2356b.JPG

Many, if not most of the internet sellers ship to Canada. We do all the time.

Neil- my reference to knowing a diamond is not fake was to those considering a diamond with an EGL report- not the ones graded by GIA.

Hi Christine- we got a stone in this afternoon that is a good example of how nice an I1 grade can be.

In the photo below you can see the imperfection in the bottom left hand corner, and the bottom right hand corner.

There's a few little specks as well.

202d.jpg

These imperfections are impossible to see with your naked eye.

The color and brilliance in person are very good.

This one is H color, I1clarity. It measures 6.84 x 6.72 x 5.15mm

The stone is slightly deeper we normally carry- but this manifests itself only in the fact that it looks a little smaller than many 2carat princess cuts- there's no impact on the brilliance, which as I said, as quite nice.

If we stock this one we'd list it for a little less than $9000

202f.jpg

HI Christine,

It is possible to buy a 2carat princess cut for $6000- but it's not going to be nearly as nice as this one.

If, for example, the I1 imperfection in this 2.02 was a big black spot, and it was easily visible, the diamond might be $1000 less.

I'd suggest a smaller stone- maybe in the 1.50-1.75ct range if you want something that looks good, but preserves the budget.