Twin Diamonds

cduggs

I'm looking for two diamonds as possibily identicle as possible. I'm quickly learning this is not possible. I bought my wife a 1.0 ct emerald a couple of years ago. It's a VS1, D. Now that's all I know. She would like to have a couple of diamonds added to the side. I've been looking at 0.50-0.58 carats and trying to find some VS1 or better in D/E color. I've found plenty but when I get to the following information, I have no clue what it means and I can't find any two diamonds I'm interested in that are similar, especially in girdle. One may be thin to slightly thick. Another may be thick to very thick. And the measurements; do they need to be pretty close to look right set on either side of a 1 carat? I'm really confused at this point. Anyone who can explain this to me?

thank you!

Depth:63.2%Table:63.0%Girdle:MEDIUM to THICKCulet:NONEPolish:EXELLENTSymmetry:VERY GOODFlourescence:NONEMeasurements:5.33x4.02x2.54mmRatio:1.33:1.00

HI Cduggs!

This is yet another case in point- you can't buy diamonds based on measurements, no matter how accurate.

Matching pairs are a business unto themselves.

We make a lot of 3 stone rings, and our experience is that it's really not productive to try and buy side stones based on any formula.

There are too many aspects which are totally visual in nature.

For example- with an emerald cut, it's not only the color and clarity we look to match- the corner size and shape is very important.

To match out emerald cut diamonds you need to concentrate more on the length and width of the diamond as well as the table measurments to make them look the same.

You didn't mention what the length to width is on your center diamond.

For example we could match a pair of emerald cuts weighing .50 ct. and .51 ct.

GIA VS1 E that are measuring 5.63 x 3.9 mm for $2565 for the pair.

These would have a 1.44: 1 length to width ratio.

Not sure what yours is. We can also look for matches that are close to the same as the center diamond. You will probably need to have some leeway in color and clarity and girdles though.

Here is an example of one we did recently.

post-10-1227566173_thumb.jpg

Edited by jan

To match out emerald cut diamonds you need to concentrate more on the length and width of the diamond as well as the table measurments to make them look the same.

You didn't mention what the length to width is on your center diamond.

For example we could match a pair of emerald cuts weighing .50 ct. and .51 ct.

GIA VS1 E that are measuring 5.63 x 3.9 mm for $2565 for the pair.

These would have a 1.44: 1 length to width ratio.

Not sure what yours is. We can also look for matches that are close to the same as the center diamond. You will probably need to have some leeway in color and clarity and girdles though.

Here is an example of one we did recently.

post-10-1227566173_thumb.jpg

Thanks for both responses. I guess it just seems simple to my non-jeweler mind to buy two very similarly cut diamonds with very similar/exact measurements and have them set. I do see the need to have the same measurements as the center diamond.

It is 6.61 x 4.65 x 3.67, 1.02 ct, depth 78.9%, table 62%, girdle very thin to medium, vs1,e.

So are the measurements more important that girdle when trying to match for a setting? what does very thin to medium mean? Thickness of the diamond? And what does table and depth represent?

The ring you attached a picture of is beautiful. What size is it?

HI cduggs,

Actually, it's more than the measurements. Girdle thicknesses are not really a consideration, if you're looking at the other important factors such as corner size.

Here's a ring from our site.

r1471a.jpg

Stats from the center:

109ecert.JPG

To give you some idea of how we would do it....

We'll use a selection of side stones in a particular range like this:

sides.JPG

These are stones between .45-.55cts each.

Then we use the center as a guide, and use our eyes to pick a pair of stones that compliments the center.

In the case of this particular 1.09, the stones we chose totaled 1.01carats.

r1471b.jpg

r1471c.jpg

Another really important aspect is the construction of the ring.

Here you can see how close to each other the three diamonds are set.

109101c.JPG

We don't like gaps between the stones, so we custom make the rings.

Since getting all these factors correct are important, we suggest buying the entire ring from one source.

Thanks for both responses. I guess it just seems simple to my non-jeweler mind to buy two very similarly cut diamonds with very similar/exact measurements and have them set. I do see the need to have the same measurements as the center diamond.

It is 6.61 x 4.65 x 3.67, 1.02 ct, depth 78.9%, table 62%, girdle very thin to medium, vs1,e.

So are the measurements more important that girdle when trying to match for a setting? what does very thin to medium mean? Thickness of the diamond? And what does table and depth represent?

The ring you attached a picture of is beautiful. What size is it?

Yes the measurements are much more important than the girdle. The two above stones that I mentioned would be a great match to your center diamond as far as length to width and color and clarity as well.

That ring had a approximately a 1.20 ct. center with stones in the .60 ct. range on the sides.

All due respect Jan, but how could you possibly know the stones you are selling are the right side diamonds for cduggs without ever seeing his diamond?

Do you feel that the corners are irrevilant?

Here's the specs on the side diamonds in the ring I posted

SIDE STONES:

TOTAL WEIGHT: 1.01cts

QUANTITY: 2

SHAPE: Emerald Cut

COLOR: G

CLARITY: VS1

cduggs, have you thought about who is going to make the ring? That's also important!

Edited by diamondsbylauren