Seems Like A Good Deal. Or Is It?

vancoman

So here is one of the (GIA graded diamond) rings that I'm considering:

• Shape & Cut: SQUARE MOD BRILL CUT
  • Diamond Shape: Princess Cut
  • Diamond Weight: 1.03 ct
  • Diamond Clarity: Very Very Slightly Included ( VVS2 )
  • Diamond Color: Colorless ( F )
  • Polish: Excellent
  • Symmetry: Very Good (VG)
  • Fluorescence: NONE

Now the reason that I'm not sure of it's value is because of it's measurements and proportions. I am educated on all the diamond specifications, except these. I was hoping some of the other knowledgeable members of this forum would be able to tell me if these following specs are within normal range so as to allow the diamond to perform maximally, or if these specs indicate a bad value/diamond:

• Measurements: 5.67 x 5.43 x 4.05 mm
  • Depth %: 74.6
  • Table %: 71
  • Culet: NONE
  • Girdle: THIN/MEDIUM

What do you think? Thank you in advance! ;)

EDIT:

Forgot to add that this ring is from Costco at a price of $6800, mounted on a platinum "Tiffany" style solitaire ring (see pic below)

322782LL_v.jpg

322782LL_v1.jpg

322782LL_v2.jpg

Edited by vancoman

Have you seen it? Do you love it?

Yes, those proportions are within the 'normal' range. That's not the same as saying that it will offer maximum or even pretty good performance. It might and it might not. You don't have anything like enough information to answer that question. It's like buying a car where all you know is the number of doors, the tire size, the color and the manufacturer. That's a start but without knowing things like the condition and the model year you don't have anything to base your decision on.

I won't comment on the value in any case but for anyone to comment on value in a useful way there are 3 critical components required. First what it is (which includes the answer to the above), second is the details of the marketplace you're asking about, and third is the price. So far we've got none of these.

Neil

Have you seen it? Do you love it?

Yes, those proportions are within the 'normal' range. That's not the same as saying that it will offer maximum or even pretty good performance. It might and it might not. You don't have anything like enough information to answer that question. It's like buying a car where all you know is the number of doors, the tire size, the color and the manufacturer. That's a start but without knowing things like the condition and the model year you don't have anything to base your decision on.

I won't comment on the value in any case but for anyone to comment on value in a useful way there are 3 critical components required. First what it is (which includes the answer to the above), second is the details of the marketplace you're asking about, and third is the price. So far we've got none of these.

Neil

sorry about that, i've fixed it for you.

As far as knowing the cut and light performance of the stone...you are going to need some critical scientific analysis to know that. I don't believe that Costco offers this. You would need things like Ideal Scope and ASET Images or Models, Sarin Report, etc. There are several online vendors that offer these. Apart from these, there is really no way to know what kind of light performance/sparkle/fire the diamond has.

It all depends on what you are looking for. Neil is right, if you love it, and the price is good for what you are getting, there is nothing to hold you back. If you want to know that you are getting the top performance available, or even to know what level your diamond's light performance is...then you will need more information than most vendors can give you. If this is what you are seeking, you will need to work with a vendor that can provide this information for you.

I say this to most of my customers...at the end of the day, the most important thing about this purchase is that you and your intended are happy. Don't loose sight of the fact that this is the most important thing.

All the best with your purchase,

Tim A.

Emma Parker & Co.

www.emmaparkerdiamonds.com

If this is what you are seeking, you will need to work with a vendor that can provide this information for you.

Tim A.

Emma Parker & Co.

There are also appraisers out there who can assist in analyzing stones where you need more information to make a decision. Often (but not always) a 3rd party who is separately charging for the service will result in both better and less biased information.

Neil

HI All,

vancoman- are you sure there's a GIA report?

I was under the impression that Costco had non GIA reports on their stones.

I'm sorry if I'm being dense, but did you actually see the diamond and ring?

I'm pretty sure. The IGI appraisal report states that it is based on GIA #XXXXXXXXXX. Also, the model number according to Costco includes the letters GIA in it along with the corresponding GIA numbers following it.

There are also appraisers out there who can assist in analyzing stones where you need more information to make a decision. Often (but not always) a 3rd party who is separately charging for the service will result in both better and less biased information.

Neil

Good call Neil...thanks for adding that in...don't know why I did not mention it! LOL

Tim A.

Emma Parker & Co.

If it doesn't have a GIA lab report, its not that great of a deal. You could get one with a VVS2 F 1 carat with a GIA lab report EX EX and a platinum mounting for about $500 less than the $6800 price.

So It's not a fabulous deal but o.k.

I looked on the Costco site and it appears that it is an IGI report. If so I would say drop about another $1500 off the price for a good deal.

Edited by jan

Neil

Sorry, but I disagree with that one.

If someone trusts the seller, and likes the stone, then an appraiser might help to re-enforce a good feeling after purchase...but if you trust the seller, is that neccesary?

If anyone is considering a diamond from a seller they don;t trust.... my advice would be -do not proceed.

If someone gets a diamond they don't like, an appraiser telling them it's a great stone is of no use either.

Edited by diamondsbylauren

Neil

Sorry, but I disagree with that one.

If someone trusts the seller, and likes the stone, then an appraiser might help to re-enforce a good feeling after purchase...but if you trust the seller, is that neccesary?

If anyone is considering a diamond from a seller they don;t trust.... my advice would be -do not proceed.

If someone gets a diamond they don't like, an appraiser telling them it's a great stone is of no use either.

This is a fine example where the seller is entirely trustworthy. Costco is a marvelous company, they sell what they say they sell and they have a superb reputation for ethical business practices. They have the best return policy in the industry. The problem is that they don’t know beans about diamonds, nor do the claim to. They say it’s a diamonds, and I’m sure it is. They say it’s GIA graded, and I’m sure it is. If you need more than that to make your decision you can get it yourself ala carte. They also don’t offer sizing service or setting on unmounted goods. Customers are welcome to get things appraised, sized or mounted wherever they want but lack of this service doesn’t make them a bad place to shop, it’s just not one-stop shopping and people need to go into it understanding that they are no more or less than they claim to be – a warehouse. This can be inconvenient to be sure, especially for folks who don’t have someone nearby who is prepared to offer the required services, and this may even be a reason for certain people to avoid them, but it’s not the same as being untrustworthy.

Neil

Good point Neil- I love buying diapers and such from Costco- but I can see your point.

If someone wanted to buy a diamond there, than maybe that would be a good time to get a second opinion.

My personal opinion is that I would not want to buy something as specialized and costly as a diamond from a seller with such limited services.

For example- the ring photos vancoman posted show the "corner" type of prong for the princess cut setting.

Personally, we prefer the ball type of prong. I would consider this an important aspect of the ring, so having the ability to choose is important.

I'd still like to know if vancoman actually saw the ring- partly because of the prongs......