Question About Heart Shape Loose Diamond

Louis Low

Dear Experts,

I've found online this heart shape loose diamond selling at $893 for a 0.47ct. It seems like a good price but I am unsure about it's quality. Appreciate if anyone out there would be able to advice if i am getting a good bargin for this piece. I am pretty scaptical about the "I" colour, does it really make a huge difference as compared to "D-E" colour?

What others should I be looking out for?

Thanks Sport10.gif ,

Louis

Shape: Heart

Color: I

Clarity: VVS2

Cut: Very Good Cut

Weight: 0.47 ct

Measurements: 4.88*5.70*2.72

Depth: 47.8%

Table Diameter: 48.5%

Crown Height: 11.7%

Pavilion Depth: 32.2%

Certification: EGL2

I would be more skeptical about the lab report, EGL, and also would not buy a fancy shape diamond without a picture of some kind. From the numbers this one is kind of long and skinny. Not sure exactly if it will be the greatest heart shape. Normally you want to stay as close to 1:1 on the length to width ratio of a heart shape. This one is 1.16:1 which may look o.k. but you would need a photo of the actual shape of the stone.

There are plenty of stones available in that price range with GIA lab reports so you wouldn't have to worry about the stone being graded correctly.

Hi Jan,

Thank you for your reply. Do you mean GIA reports are more trustworthy than EGL? You did mentioned that there are other available source with the kind of pricing mentioned. Would you be able to name a few online shops? I am located in Singapore and will only be able to buy online. I do agree with you that it's better to see the actual product instead of buying blindly online. But i guess I could only depends on experts like your goodself for advice before committing to buy any.

Thanks again,

Louis Low

I would be more skeptical about the lab report, EGL, and also would not buy a fancy shape diamond without a picture of some kind. From the numbers this one is kind of long and skinny. Not sure exactly if it will be the greatest heart shape. Normally you want to stay as close to 1:1 on the length to width ratio of a heart shape. This one is 1.16:1 which may look o.k. but you would need a photo of the actual shape of the stone.

There are plenty of stones available in that price range with GIA lab reports so you wouldn't have to worry about the stone being graded correctly.

Yes I meant that GIA is more trustworthy in color and clarity grading than EGL. Also I would make sure since you can't see the diamond in person that you work with someone that looks at the diamond for you and at least can take a photo of it so you will know what it looks like before you purchase it.

Yes, EGL reports are not used by dealers amongst themselves- only for unsuspecting consumers...it's a shame.

I agree that a photo is absolutely essential- especially with a heart shape.

For example, here's one that is a very pretty shape ( to my eyes)

r883b.JPG

ITEM #: R883

Heart Shape Diamond, Loose

WEIGHT: 1.32ct

SHAPE: Heart Shape

MEASUREMENTS: 7.15 x 6.22 x 4.11 mm

TOTAL DEPTH: 66.1%

FLUORESCENCE: NONE

Of course this is a different type of diamond than the one you are looking for but you can get the idea of how a photo really helps!

Edited by diamondsbylauren

I've requested picture from the seller and this is what they send me. Any comments?

Do you all think this picture is fake? Gosh.. i am so confused...

Yes I meant that GIA is more trustworthy in color and clarity grading than EGL. Also I would make sure since you can't see the diamond in person that you work with someone that looks at the diamond for you and at least can take a photo of it so you will know what it looks like before you purchase it.

post-116829-1227198526_thumb.jpg

Hi...I think I may have already answered you on another forum...sorry for any duplicate...

Hi Louis,

Speaking strictly from my own experience and preference....I am generally not overly concerned about color, especially with a good cut, however, with hearts and some other fancies, I personally have found color to stand out a bit more than some of the other cuts. I would not want to go with anything below an H. Again that is my own opinion based on my own personal experience as a buyer and seller in the industry.

I would definitely recommend seeing the stone personally, either before you buy, or buy with a refund period during which you can inspect the stone and return it if you are unhappy.

You may find that the color does not bother you at all, or you might find that it does. Color is a very personal issue and that is why I couch my comments with the fact that that is my own personal opinion.

Hope that helps! All the best in your search.

Tim A.

Emma Parker & Co.

www.emmaparkerdiamonds.com

It looks like this picture was taken through a Daroscope...unfortunately this will really only tell you about clarity, not color or cut. You can get a very basic feel for light performance from the picture, but nothing accurate enough to base your purchase on. For color, you would need a picture in a diffused daylight environment, and when I take a color comparison picture, I place the diamond in question between Master Color Grading Stones for comparison purposes. That way the customer has something to base their opinion on visually. A good vender should be able to do this for you. I would ask the vender you are working with if they can take a shot of the stone in diffused daylight with Master Stones for comparisson.

Good Luck!

Tim A.

Emma Parker & Co.

www.emmaparkerdiamonds.com

The photo is, as Tim said, not very informative.

Did the seller mention anything about the EGL, and the significance of that report?

I believe a seller should be responsible, and inform the client of such pertinent facts. If they do not, that alone would be enough to turn me off.

We have a totally different experience about color, as opposed to Tim....

The diamond I posted a photo of has not gotten it's GIA report yet... but we have graded it U-V Natural Light Yellow.

This is a long way from an I-J-K colored stone- but we've sold many such stones to many satisfied clients.

As Tim mentioned, it's very personal.

Regardless, there are many sellers that feel it's their own preferences that should count, and have no problem whatsoever telling prospective buyers to stay away from "off color" stones.

Since you've already considered a diamond that was graded I by EGL, we can reasonably assume that you might love a diamond graded J, or even K by GIA.

This will save you gobs of money as compared to say, an F color.

Dear Jan, Neil and Tim

Thank you all for your vaulable feedback and advice, for someone who knows nothing about diamond, and trying to get one for my wife-to-be. Your comments really help a lot for me to decide.

Anyway, just in case you are wondering where I found the diamond from, it's http://www.diamonds-usa.com/diamonds/Diamo...ID=7&Cart=1 I guess now with all your help, I decided not to go ahead with this piece and continue to search for a better piece for her.

Many Thanks again,

Louis