Is This A Good Deal?

deena

I'm currently in dubai and went to the gold and diamond park where I found a lovely, shared prond eternity band in FG-color and VS, total ct weight is 3.97, and it is offered at $3000. Is this a good deal?

A friend told me she got the Hearts on Fire eternity band and she keeps raving about the sparkle. That's important to me, so I am tempted to wait and pay a premium. What are your thoughts?

Lastly, my 3-stone engagement ring is D-E in color, and VS1. My husband says that if I wear them next to each other that the color difference will show. But the jewelers here have told me I'll never find DE stones in such small sizes for an eternity band and that the best I can hope for is FG--I'm not sure if this is true or not or if they are just trying to make a sale. Any and all help/input is appreciated! I'm only here until Thurs so I need to make a decision!

Thanks!

It depends. F-G and VS according to whom? Is the band full eternity, three quarters, half (or to cut the chase - 3.97 ct for how many stones)?

I doubt you'll see a colour difference between D-E (again - according to whom?) and F-G with set stones in normal lighting conditions, especially when the supposedly lower colour ones are also smaller.

"How well are they cut?" is the key question if you want sparkle. Hearts on Fire makes a selling point of their cut, so I'm not surprised their ring performs well; you need to be the judge if the Dubai band has enough sparkle for your taste - we haven't seen it!

My apologies if I sound cynical on the colour grade - I have just finished reading through a thread on another forum where someone bought a supposedly E/VS1 stone at a reputable jeweller, had it graded by EGL Brussels as F/VVS1 prior to purchasing, decided to go ahead; a few months later, upon resetting the stone, they sent it to GIA NY and it came back as H/VS1... unsurprisingly, they aren't too happy.

ETA: D-E melee in 0.2 ct or smaller are commonly available in round full cut. If you are looking for fancy cuts, then it's harder, but rounds are not difficult to find.

Edited by davidelevi

David, Thanks for your note. My 3-stone ring is certified by GIA as D/E-VS1--but according to you it sounds as though everyone has their own system. You're right, the guy at the shop told me it was "in house certification" because he said for an eternity band with stones all the way around, you can't have a certificate for each stone. He told me it would be too many certificates and such a thing doesn't exist. My fingers are small, size 5, I think, so you probably know better than me how many stones it might take to equal 3.97 carats. Since I feel unfamiliar, maybe I should pay a premium and get hearts on fire....

You are welcome, Deena. Assuming your fingers are a size 5, a possibility is 16 x 25 points stones. This means a 4mm band - does it sound about right?

IF that is right, well-cut stones of that size with a GIA or AGS report retail for $1300 / $2500 per carat. Take away report fees of about $650 for 16 stones, and you are left with a bill of $4800 / $9300 for the stones, plus metal, labour and setting. In other words, even allowing for lower overheads and tax in Dubai, it's very unlikely that what you are being offered is actually going to be graded by GIA as F-G/VS. Never mind the cut.

Having said that, it may still be a lovely ring, and it may still be a good deal.

If you are color sensitive, you may notice a color difference. I have some clients that love the D-E color range, so we make mountings in those colors for them. It's possible to have a share prong eternity band made in the colors that you want. What is your finger size and what metal were you wanting the ring made in?

I can tell you how much it will cost in about a 4 ct. total weight.

Also if you want lab reports, it can be done as well. We've made tennis bracelets with a lab report for each diamond etc, as well as rings.

The last one was gorgeous. It was a cross with all ideal cut hearts and arrows diamonds.

post-10-1225126099_thumb.jpg

Edited by jan

I agree with a lot of what Davide wrote.

1) Smaller stones are indeed available in D-F colors ( no one sorts D's from E's and F's in .01ct sizes)

2) it's really impossible to say if what you saw was a good deal- and it's unlikely that the piece was as described- based solely on the price.

It might be a very nice ring for the money, but the chances are slim that it's actually 3.97cts of F-G/VS diamonds in a size large enough for shared prong setting.....

Here's a few of our shared prong settings....

r2673f.JPG

This one is .95cts of high color clarity cushion diamonds in platinum for $2995

r2108b.JPG

The one above is a much lower diamond quality ( I-J/Si2)- 1.00 tw for $1849.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm currently in dubai and went to the gold and diamond park where I found a lovely, shared prond eternity band in FG-color and VS, total ct weight is 3.97, and it is offered at $3000. Is this a good deal?

A friend told me she got the Hearts on Fire eternity band and she keeps raving about the sparkle. That's important to me, so I am tempted to wait and pay a premium. What are your thoughts?

Lastly, my 3-stone engagement ring is D-E in color, and VS1. My husband says that if I wear them next to each other that the color difference will show. But the jewelers here have told me I'll never find DE stones in such small sizes for an eternity band and that the best I can hope for is FG--I'm not sure if this is true or not or if they are just trying to make a sale. Any and all help/input is appreciated! I'm only here until Thurs so I need to make a decision!

Thanks!

There are PLENTY of GIA certified D to E color, VVS to SI1. At 3.90ct I figure your diamonds would be .20 to .25ct each? And certainly can be isolated to VG or Ex on polish/symmetry and cut. Very simple custom job. The "hearts on fire" gig is nice on cut but if not GIA certed to where the grading is off 2-3 letters like most every other cert grading besides GIA and AGS.

Very easy custom job and you would know exactly what gets put into your gorgeous ring!

Marty

CEO/Pres

Diamond Brokerage Service, Inc

www.dbsdiamonds.com