Need Advice On A Loose Stone

jlh4480

That's still a pretty good deal but not the screamer that a 2.40 would be.

I notice that Blue Nile has that very stone for sale for $13,100 by the way. You might want to use this information to drive your chosen dealer to a better price.

I say buy it. There's not that many stinkers that slip through at AGSL and if you've got a good return period and a high quality dealer, your risk is low. If they can't get it, and as David points out there's a decent to good chance that they can't, don't let them talk you into a different one as a substitute without first doing as much diligence on that one as your are on this one.

Neil

If you look, Blue Nile has got a few similar stones in the $15,600 price range. There's got to be a reason why one is so much less.

Its got a small table- I'm surprised a 54% table gets an AGSL 0- but there is inevitably a reason why one stone is so much less than others which are -ostensibly- very similar.

I would say buy it and take it into a store to compare it to a similar one they may have. Also, will you ever trade it up? Most stores will give you the same as what you paid if you double the upgrade purchase, yet if it the diamond was not purchased there you, it may be worth much less for a trade in value, also is it branded? Some brands will hold a higher value if their prices are controlled. Check to see if the website does trade-ins. I find most people think they got a $13,000 diamond as a value only to find out when they want to upgrade or sell it they find out it worth much less when they try to sell it. On the flipside some popular Branded diamonds are selling on EBAY for just under what they sell for in a controlled price store. Kinda like buying a house. You might get a really good price on it and find out you can't find anyone to buy it at a profit and have to sell for less. There is always a reason for the value a company sets. Also remeber, generally your soon to be fiance will never show her friends or even remember what the certificate says it is. You could probably buy a diamond in a local store without an AGS certificate that if compared may not be able to tell the difference between the two at an even lower price. These are few of the many reasons all Grading Labs use the disclaimer shown at the center of the certificate, about how diamond prices will can vary up to 50% or more. Most stores would be happy to find you a comparable if you give them the opportunity, if not I would go elsewhere. Always look at the diamond if you can, and would reccomend VS1-VS2 for the size you want to be to guarantee eye clean. Fingerprint the diamond when you get it and it should give you a better idea of what she will see on a daily basis. Its easy to miss inclusions if the diamond is perfectly clean. Good Luck and print these pages and any research you have done to show her afterwards. She will love the fact the fact that you spent the time for her! Those are the things she will tell everyone about, you never hear a thing about the Certificate.

Welcome to the forum.

On the flipside some popular Branded diamonds are selling on EBAY for just under what they sell for in a controlled price store.

Really? What brands would that be?

I know of no brands where the consumer resale prices on ebay are consistently anywhere near the premium paid at retail to the original store. Resale on jewelry is more analogous to clothing or perhaps cars than to houses. A pair of shoes or a jacket can cost you $500 with a resale value of near zero but this doesn’t make them a bad deal. Investment is not their purpose. Direct resale prices on jewelry are often 1/2 or less of the original retail purchase price and this includes branded goods. It’s even worse on items costing under a few thousand dollars. Buying jewelry is NOT a business venture, it is not an 'investment' in the traditional financial sense and customers should not get into it expecting to EVER see their money again. Buy it because you love it, because it symbolizes an important step in your life or just because it will make her happy but don’t get trapped into thinking it’s some sort of investment account.

Neil

Is it possible that the stone has been sold before? I noticed that the lab report is 2 years old. Either that, or it hasn't sold because of the inclusions in the stone. Can they give you at least a photo of the diamond so you can see what the inclusions look like? Under a microscope would be good. That is what I would ask for anyway before I spent my dollars on a stone sight unseen.