Help! Fancy Light Yellow Ashoka Cut Vs Vivid Yellow Cushion Cut

adrianseto

Hi,

I was very close to pulling the trigger on buying a 2.24 Fancy Light Yellow Ashoka Cut engagement ring. I have been researching and looking at this and various other diamonds. I like the Ashoka cut given its rarity and apparently its even more rare in a Fancy color. Not sure if that is true but at least when i Google it nothing comes up.

The other option is a 1.59 Vivid Yellow Cushion cut diamond. The color of this diamond is amazing. Its has a very even 'canary' color with no hints of orange which I like. Given its a vivid the price is very similiar to the Ashoka. However, the cut is nothing special and the size is much smaller.

Which should I choose?

I know I would pay more for the Ashoka given the branded cut. But I am not sure its worth that much given that its a Fancy Light Yellow. Many have told me when buying color diamonds color is the most important. But in this case the cut is unique and its also 2.24 carats!!

Any advice/opinion welcome! Thanks.

I have attached a picture of the Ashoka.

post-116643-1224155177_thumb.jpg

Buy the one that curls your toes and makes your heart go pitter patter. You’re correct that in fancy colors, color is what rules the day in driving the prices but in ring design the shape and facet pattern can be big contributors to the ‘look’ of the piece. In the end, you want one that appeals to YOU.

Neil

Thanks Neil.

I thought I would get such a reply! :D

And you know, ultimately its for her so I think I should get one that makes HER heart pitter patter! But the problem is I don't know which one she would like better. I have tried to find out but I can't get a straight answer. She has seen the Ashoka cut before and she didn't either say she loves it or hated it.

All I know right now is that she likes yellow diamonds and antique setting. That much i know for sure... But I am trying to find out if she likes a lighter yellow or a more rich yellow.

I think i have done all the research I can. I have 3 different jewelers find me diamonds to look at. But now I am stuck here.

Hi All!!

adrianseto, you mentioned Ashoka Cut- I've never even heard of that cut.

Does it look something like this?

r2681d.JPG

There's some other things you mentioned that really sound unusual.

Even if the "branded" cut is horribly overpriced, a 2.24 Fancy Light Yellow should not come close to the price of a 1.59 Fancy Vivid Yellow.

Are the diamonds you've been looking at accompanied by GIA reports?

I'd suggest you have a look at our site- we feature one of the largest selections of Natural Yellow Diamonds I've seen on the internet- all are marked with the actual price, and all have actual photos- even videos.

At the very least that might give you a better idea....

Assuming the descriptions are correct, and that the stone is fairly priced and has decent clarity (SI2 - possibly I1) and a good cut, I'd have little doubt: go for the vivid. However, that's what I would buy, not a recommendation. There is not sufficient information for one, even if it were not something that ultimately depends on personal preferences as Neil said.

Something is very odd with the price ratio - investigate it carefully before you decide anything. Some questions I would have - in no particular order: is one stone for sale at Tiffany, and the other at an internet-based dealer? What is the clarity like? Is the cut any good? Who graded the diamond(s)? Is the colour natural?

Thanks for all the replies and feedback.

sorry I did not post more info regarding the diamond and place of purchase in my first posting.

Here is more info based on GIA reports from both:

Ashoka cut

Carat Weight - 2.24 carat

Natural Fancy Light Yellow

Distribution Even

Clarity VS1

Polish Good

Symmetry Good

Fluorescence Faint

Vivid Yellow Cushion Cut (less info as I do not have copy of GIA but did see it when saw the diamond)

Carat Weight - 1.59

Natural Fancy Vivid Yellow

Distribution Even

Clarity VS2

Fluorescence None

The Ashoka diamond is purchased through a friend who owns a local jewelry business with stores around the city. Its not as famous as Tiffany's but locally well known. I assume that the price would be higher given the branded cut and he has overhead costs. However, the price he quoted me has been discounted and negotiated to the bone.

As for the Vivid diamond, its through another friend's reference but this person does not have a store. He use to work at a jewelry store and now is out on his own and so no real overhead. I assume that is why he is able to provide a much lower price and why the 2 diamonds are similar price. I have not had a chance to go and negotiate the price so it may not be a 100% fair comparison. The difference in price at this stage is about US$3,000, with the vivid being more.

I know that vivid grading is more expensive than light yellow but it is much smaller. I really do like the Ashoka cut but the light yellow grading worries me that it will be viewed as a low quality diamond. On the other hand, vivid is amazing color but the size is much smaller than I would like.

Is the ashoka similar to the one I posted?

If you give us the specifics- like the prices being asked- we'll be able to give you a far more accurate assessment.

A carat and a half vivid yellow, VS, well cut with no fluorescence will cost over $30k today, if it has a legitimate GIA report.

A 2.24ct fancy light yellow should cost around $20k

Here's a 2.35 from our site that is set into a ring for $20,450.

GIA does not use the word "Ashoka" on their report- unless the diamond has the name laser engraved on the girdle. Are you sure they did not call the cutting style something different?

If you are somehow mistaken, and the diamonds lack GIA reports, all the grades can be considered totally bogus.

Buying from someone who does not have an actual business, or store should be far less than buying froma legitimate deaeler, who will offer a lot more valuable service.

Still, a GIA graded Fancy Vivid Yellow is never going to be a cheap stone.

PS- too low a price is a very bad thing.

Thanks. Not sure if its exactly the same but it looks similar.

The quoted price for the Ashoka is $20K and the vivid is $23k. But as noted, i have not negotiated the price of the vivid. Both have proper GIA reports. the Ashoka is named on the GIA as it was laser inscribed on the stone.

Tough choice... I am still very undecided right now.

Is the ashoka similar to the one I posted?

If you give us the specifics- like the prices being asked- we'll be able to give you a far more accurate assessment.

A carat and a half vivid yellow, VS, well cut with no fluorescence will cost over $30k today, if it has a legitimate GIA report.

A 2.24ct fancy light yellow should cost around $20k

Here's a 2.35 from our site that is set into a ring for $20,450.

GIA does not use the word "Ashoka" on their report- unless the diamond has the name laser engraved on the girdle. Are you sure they did not call the cutting style something different?

If you are somehow mistaken, and the diamonds lack GIA reports, all the grades can be considered totally bogus.

Buying from someone who does not have an actual business, or store should be far less than buying froma legitimate deaeler, who will offer a lot more valuable service.

Still, a GIA graded Fancy Vivid Yellow is never going to be a cheap stone.

PS- too low a price is a very bad thing.

The Ashoka's are cut by the William Goldberg Company and are a gorgeous cut. They look similar to a sissor cut to me but still very very nice. It's a branded stone. I would think even though it is a fancy light yellow it would be a great deal at the 20K range.

I like the photo you put up. Did it inlcude the ring as well? Looks like it gets lots of finger coverage too. B)

Was that a picture of the actual diamond? It looks larger than a 2.00 ct. range. Here is a picture of a 4.00 ct. on my hand.

post-10-1224352430_thumb.jpg

Edited by jan

What would also be useful - short of the opportunity to get both diamonds next to each other - is the size of the two stones.

You are concerned about size, but assuming the same proportions a 2.24 will look "only" about 25% bigger. And a 1.6 ct stone is not small by any account.

Be careful to assess the stones size in equal conditions - a set stone (especially with a halo) will look larger than a loose one.

Thanks Jan.

Yes, the pic is of the real stone. The price included the setting as well. However, it won't be the same as the one in the photo as I have asked him to re-set it so its a little more round without the hard corners.

Your 4ct is amazing... gorgeous! Thanks for the great advice.

The vivid is NOT from a retail store. Its from an independent jeweler that does not have a store and just only does refrerral business. Assuming that is why he can sell for cheaper as he does not have overhead.

I wish you the best- Obviously, I love Fancy Yellow diamonds.

You're here asking- so I'll assume you want straight answers

When considering a1.59ct Fancy Vivid Yellow VS2 No Fl at $14500 per carat:

Regardless of how low a seller's cost of doing business, the price indicates there's very likely an issue with the stone causing it to be trading well below market.

I'd also agree that the diamond in the photo does not look like it could possibly be a 2.24ct- unless the person's hand is incredibly small- which does not seem to be the case.

When considering items of such value., it really does make sense to ask these questions....

Thanks Jan.

Yes, the pic is of the real stone. The price included the setting as well. However, it won't be the same as the one in the photo as I have asked him to re-set it so its a little more round without the hard corners.

Your 4ct is amazing... gorgeous! Thanks for the great advice.

The vivid is NOT from a retail store. Its from an independent jeweler that does not have a store and just only does refrerral business. Assuming that is why he can sell for cheaper as he does not have overhead.

Thanks that is actually a radiant cut versus a cushion but a really pretty ring. It is possible to get a Fancy yellow Vivid diamond in the 1.50 ct. range for even under 23 thousand. I checked with some of my suppliers and there were a few.

But if she is in for a large look, looks like the Ashoka would be hard to beat.

It's important to remember that when considering Fancy Vivid Yellow Diamonds, there are visual factors- even beyind those on a GIA report- which greatly affect the price.

For example- some vivid yellow stones are borderline INtense Yellows- not as dark as a "Super Vivid"

Some dark stones have can an orange or brown cast- even though GIA called them Vivid Yellow. Stones in this category will trade substantialy less than really nice vivids.

I wish you the best- Obviously, I love Fancy Yellow diamonds.

You're here asking- so I'll assume you want straight answers

When considering a1.59ct Fancy Vivid Yellow VS2 No Fl at $14500 per carat:

Regardless of how low a seller's cost of doing business, the price indicates there's very likely an issue with the stone causing it to be trading well below market.

I'd also agree that the diamond in the photo does not look like it could possibly be a 2.24ct- unless the person's hand is incredibly small- which does not seem to be the case.

When considering items of such value., it really does make sense to ask these questions....

So are you suggesting that I question the jeweler about the GIA report and the legitimacy of the weight?

If you’re seriously considering buying a $23,000 pebble, choose your advisers carefully. All GIA graded stones with the moniker ‘fancy vivid yellow’ are not the same. The first layer of expertise is with the seller. You are relying on him to guide you and only you can tell us if he is sufficiently an expert in fancy colors to deserve the trust you are placing in him. Presumably you've already decided he is or you wouldn't be this far into it. The second layer is your appraiser and the same rules apply. Not all (in fact, rather few) are experienced with this and you should choose someone with care. If it were me spending that kind of money, I would want both. To quote Ronald Regan, trust but verify.

Neil

Hi,

First of all, yes, if I had any doubts on such a large purchase I would want to make sure everything is on the up and up.

If you could post a copy of the GIA report, we could only begin to assess the stone. BUT- it would be a very good start. At least we can verify that it is indeed a GIA report- please don't be insulted but you would not believe how many times people believe there's a GIA report when in fact, there is an apprasial, or a sub standard non GIA report.

As Neil pointed out, there's a totally different expertise required to trade in Fancy Colored Diamonds- and you're spending a lot of money. It makes sense to learn before, not after you put the money down- which is why I must assume you are here.

I have seen many cases of two stones- ostensibly very similar- yet having two completely different values. IN the case of a fancy Vivid Yellow it can be a simple matter of purtiy of color

The next questions I have are regarding who you are purchasing from.

The vivid is NOT from a retail store. Its from an independent jeweler that does not have a store and just only does referral business. Assuming that is why he can sell for cheaper as he does not have overhead.

The above statement raises more questions than it answers.

Is this a guy selling diamonds off the back of a truck?

If there's no store, where did you see the diamond?

If there is no store, how will you be able to get service- or a resolution if there's a problem?

Are you under the impression that jewelers such as myself, or Jan are somehow not independent?

Today, with internet sales, there are quite a few places able to sell without a traditional store- so there's a lot of sellers with similar overhead structures....